Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Sinn Fein have a social media problem?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

smurgen wrote: »
    Well they liked a post asking for someone be murdered. Is that enough for you? Those are FG councillors btw.

https://twitter.com/christineomg5/status/1256552956561960962?s=19

You are actually right; the rhetoric from those FG councillors was reprehensible. Though I will maintain that there is a bit of difference between a councillor from a party going off message and saying such a thing on from their own Twitter profile, to saying things on a group that, while not officially endorsed by the party, has several TDs and councillors as members, so can be seen as existing with the tacit approval of the party hierarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

El Tarangu wrote: »
    You are actually right; the rhetoric from those FG councillors was reprehensible. Though I will maintain that there is a bit of difference between a councillor from a party going off message and saying such a thing on from their own Twitter profile, to saying things on a group that, while not officially endorsed by the party, has several TDs and councillors as members, so can be seen as existing with the tacit approval of the party hierarchy.

We'll have to agree to disagree so. I think there's a lot of stupidity on social media on all sides and people are venting non stop. I don't see it unique to one parties followers. People need to think before they post and I hope Gardai are monitoring threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

smurgen wrote: »
    We'll have to agree to disagree so. I think there's a lot of stupidity on social media on all sides and people are venting non stop. I don't see it unique to one parties followers. People need to think before they post and I hope Gardai are monitoring threats.

It is not unique to one party's followers.

However, it is endemic among Sinn Fein's followers. There are hundreds of examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

You have to wonder, why does one party attract such a significant amount of headbangers compared to other parties?

It's something I've wondered for a long time. Its no longer anecdotal. Plenty of examples provided in this thread and elsewhere. I've noticed it online for years but it seems to be getting worse.

SF really does have a social media problem. Perhaps not amongst its parliamentary party. But certainly amongst some of its supporters.

Is that SF's fault? It's difficult to say. But they certainly don't dial down the rhetoric. Populist soundbites resonate with the headbangers, and just seem to whip them into a frenzy. Just look at the racist, homophobic, disgusting comments I quoted a few pages back. These are SF voters. Pearse, Mary Lou, and Cullinane represent these people.

Every voice should be heard in a democracy. But I'd have huge reservations about hitching my wagon to those scumbags. SF could have the most impressive, groundbreaking policies, but I still wouldn't associate myself with their disgusting, bullying voter base. Call me a snob all you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,084 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You have to wonder, why does one party attract such a significant amount of headbangers compared to other parties?

It's something I've wondered for a long time. Its no longer anecdotal. Plenty of examples provided in this thread and elsewhere. I've noticed it online for years but it seems to be getting worse.

SF really does have a social media problem. Perhaps not amongst its parliamentary party. But certainly amongst some of its supporters.

Is that SF's fault? It's difficult to say. But they certainly don't dial down the rhetoric. Populist soundbites resonate with the headbangers, and just seem to whip them into a frenzy. Just look at the racist, homophobic, disgusting comments I quoted a few pages back. These are SF voters. Pearse, Mary Lou, and Cullinane represent these people.

Every voice should be heard in a democracy. But I'd have huge reservations about hitching my wagon to those scumbags. SF could have the most impressive, groundbreaking policies, but I still wouldn't associate myself with their disgusting, bullying voter base. Call me a snob all you want.

Good call Colonel, on the button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jasus

EugEz7TWgAE-Q2w?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Registered Users Posts: 66,997 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It's a useful tool - to blame a party for vile comments on SM - but it's a difficult one to prove. Somebody claims to be attacked by SF members/supporters but is never asked to prove that they are members/supporters.
    What a party can do about 'supporters' behaviour is hard to define too. They aren't members so it is impossible to do anything but condemn the behaviour.

As to this site, there is as many examples of all party supporters saying vile stuff as there are of SF supporters saying them.
    Posting an advertisement for the party holding a commemoration is now them saying something 'vile'? Strange one that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Good loser

It's a useful tool - to blame a party for vile comments on SM - but it's a difficult one to prove. Somebody claims to be attacked by SF members/supporters but is never asked to prove that they are members/supporters.
    What a party can do about 'supporters' behaviour is hard to define too. They aren't members so it is impossible to do anything but condemn the behaviour.

As to this site, there is as many examples of all party supporters saying vile stuff as there are of SF supporters saying them.
    Posting an advertisement for the party holding a commemoration is now them saying something 'vile'? Strange one that.

The smallest miss-step by the Govt - and the previous one - is pounced on by David, Pearse, Mary Lou etc and distorted, magnified over and over into the domains of catastrophe. There is no way they are unaware of the carry-on of 'these supporters'. Their failure to call them out must imply these people have the leadership's tacit support.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,463 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think the only way is to come out and condemn it unequivocally, not give it a chance to get any traction. And that means condemning it every time you're asked as an immediate response, and not dancing around with "I was asked that before" because they're afraid of offending some snowflake SF supporters (and you only get asked multiple times because people don't believe you due to past behavior).

astrofool wrote: »
    I think the only way is to come out and condemn it unequivocally, not give it a chance to get any traction. And that means condemning it every time you're asked as an immediate response, and not dancing around with "I was asked that before" because they're afraid of offending some snowflake SF supporters (and you only get asked multiple times because people don't believe you due to past behavior).

I thought they had condemned it?

https://www.businesspost.ie/extra-interviews/mary-lou-mcdonald-being-pig-ignorant-online-adds-nothing-to-the-sum-of-human-knowledge-please-stop-ffeb1eb9

• Advertisement

Good loser wrote: »
    The smallest miss-step by the Govt - and the previous one - is pounced on by David, Pearse, Mary Lou etc and distorted, magnified over and over into the domains of catastrophe. There is no way they are unaware of the carry-on of 'these supporters'. Their failure to call them out must imply these people have the leadership's tacit support.

Correct and right.That’s their modus operandi, keep everything contained themselves, but watching for every slip up of the govt. and magnify it by a factor of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Correct and right.That’s their modus operandi, keep everything contained themselves, but watching for every slip up of the govt. and magnify it by a factor of 100.

Pretty much how all opposition works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

That's the role of an opposition , isn't it?
    Or do you prefer the type of opposition FF provided to the last FG led government?

rock22 wrote: »
    That's the role of an opposition , isn't it?
    Or do you prefer the type of opposition FF provided to the last FG led government?

You would have to ask how much of the 'online abuse' complaints is the arrogant, not liking to be challenged. That is the sea change in politics that a lot haven't handled well - the ability for people to instantly challenge. Like any interface between the public and politics, it's a double edged sword.

I use twitter quite a bit and while their is a lot of anger and abrasive comment I rarely see what could be described as 'vile' and 'abusive' content. Same experience here on boards.

'Leaders' who make sensational claims about being personally abused by another political party really should be under an onus to follow through with the law on those who are doing it. Otherwise the suspicion is that the 'leader' is using the claims for political gain.

This precisely indicates the problem, because the online stuff keeps happening, they will need to condemn it time and again (and take action against members) to stamp it out.

What has been the follow through from SF from that article? Who has been turfed out of the party? Which heads have rolled? Have they shown that posting standards online have improved? Have they unbanned people from their channels who posted contrary opinions?

Hopefully that's the last time you use that article, and there's a more recent condemnation to use for the next debacle that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Maybe changing the parameter a bit.

Political parties A and B

Both attract oddball and aggressive supporters, however, party A has more of them at say a rate of 10 to 1 in comparison to party B.

It is reasonable to ask why this is.

Is it something to do with the origins of party A, is it something to with how party A is organised, is it something to do with the sort of individuals who join party A.

Saying look over there the others are doing it is not an answer, nor is saying party A is being victimised.

Or is it something about social media in general?

mariaalice wrote: »
    Maybe changing the parameter a bit.

Political parties A and B

Both attract oddball and aggressive supporters, however, party A has more of them at say a rate of 10 to 1 in comparison to party B.

It is reasonable to ask why this is.

Is it something to do with the origins of party A, is it something to with how party A is organised, is it something to do with the sort of individuals who join party A.

Saying look over there the others are doing it is not an answer, nor is saying party A is being victimised.

Or is it something about social media in general?

I agree which is why we should begin by identifying who these people are. And that begins with people being abused standing up and being counted.

There was a discussion last night on the Tonight show about online abuse of public figures and it goes beyond one single party. It is an issue since social media began.

P.S. a comparison with how 'abuse' of Ian Wright was dealt with and how abuse of James McClean is dealt with is relevant here too. A lot of the concern about this has a lot to do with who is being abused too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Enough of the one-liner comments and off topic posts please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 34,014 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jasus

EugEz7TWgAE-Q2w?format=jpg&name=360x360

Sinn Fein aligning themselves with ISIS on the blowing up London buses question. You couldn't make it up. Makes you wonder what sort of claptrap he's filling his unfortunate pupils' minds with.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

Sinn Fein aligning themselves with ISIS on the blowing up London buses question. You couldn't make it up. Makes you wonder what sort of claptrap he's filling his unfortunate pupils' minds with.

Poor lad was only 21....... led down the garden path.

• Advertisement

Is holding commemorations an example of 'online media problems'? SF have always commemorated.
    Not sure what the relevance is. Can anyone link it to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Is holding commemorations an example of 'online media problems'? SF have always commemorated.

1. It was posted on social media.
    2. The commemoration is taking place online.
    3. SF are controversially advertising it.

Couldn't be closer to the thread title if you ask me.
    But anyway. Look over there. Anywhere but here.

1. It was posted on social media.
    2. The commemoration is taking place online.
    3. SF are controversially advertising it.

Couldn't be closer to the thread title if you ask me.
    But anyway. Look over there. Anywhere but here.

So anything they post online is a 'problem'?
    Is that your point?

P.S. You do know by the way that the family of that IRA man have cancelled the event because of online abuse and threats?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

What bugs me about sinn feins social media is how they rarely say much of substance. Their covid strategy for rolling out vaccinations is on their website, and the government strategy isn't a million miles away from that. However their social media posts are just vague soundbites that the government need to do better, without any substance as to how

Take this post on facebook:
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159387775066332&id=58340031331

Now in the comments you have people advocating for opening up the country and others advocating for a zero covid approach. People are criticising the vaccine rollout, claiming our country will be lost (whatever that means) and coming out with all sorts of tripe, cemetery unchecked, and in their own minds Mary Lou is standing up for their interests against "FFG". Mary Lou is happy to sit on the fence and not get into specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Good loser

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Pretty much how all opposition works

None have come close (in our politics) to the relentlessness and assiduity with which SF pursue their dogmatic agendas.
    When they come to power they will have left a minefield of hostages to fortune in their wake.
    (That will, of course, be FF mark 2)

Do you think blowing up a London bus is a commendable act? Is that when ISIS do it too, or just the IRA?

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

Do you think blowing up a London bus is a commendable act? Is that when ISIS do it too, or just the IRA?

No, I don't think it was commendable.

I don't think shooting innocent people dead in the street or carpet bombing commendable either, but I can allow those that did it to be commemorated wirth respect.

What has this to do with the topic though?

A social media post commemorating a terrorist is everything to do with the thread topic. The fact you can't or won't see that speaks volumes. As long as SF continue to rewrite history and glorify terrorists they will never be accepted as a normal law-abiding political party.

A social media post commemorating a terrorist is everything to do with the thread topic. The fact you can't or won't see that speaks volumes. As long as SF continue to rewrite history and glorify terrorists they will never be accepted as a normal law-abiding political party.

They are accepted - more than any other party at the last election.

• Advertisement

They are accepted - more than any other party at the last election.

Let's start with the first question. Is a SF social media post about commemorating a bomber relevant to a discussion about SF having a social media problem?

If it is, how are they going about solving that problem so it doesn't keep on occurring?

If it isn't, do you deny that there is a problem at all, and thus this thread shouldn't even exist?

Advertisement