Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Vikings)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I loved the naval combat in previous AC games.

While you are out sailing, a shipmate would shout out "it's the Man O' War Captain! Will we sink it?!?!

Captain: Argh!!...well...aye!!

I'm the opposite, found them annoying and overly long. I won't miss them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, found them annoying and overly long. I won't miss them anyway.

Yeah they were okay to begin with, but over time they just got annoying, especially when you had to do so much sailing to get to new islands and end up either having to fight ships or try go around them/outrun them. It just became a real drag, and a drain on resources better spent on weapons/armour but that you need to throw some into your ship because you can't always avoid the naval combat.

Unless they had plans to massively overhaul the naval combat, I'd much prefer it just be left out this time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Burnt out on ship combat but I think black flag did it the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

Penn wrote: »
    Technically yes, but not really. That main arc of that storyline in present-day Black Flag ended in AC: Syndicate (well, technically it ended in a comic book after AC: Synidate). Really though the same Assassins V Templars battle is still going on, but there's been a new modern day protagonist called Layla in the last two games. I didn't really play the first one, and there's probably still not a lot to know from the second one. I'd say you're grand. Bound to be maybe a recap or you could check Youtube for similar before Valhalla comes out, should get you up to speed.

Next to nothing in the Origins modern day story. Layla was ex-Abstergo then becomes an Assassin at the end.

Can't imagine Valhalla won't bring people up to speed for Odyssey.
    LAYLA: Boy, I'm sure glad that I, an archaeologist as far as anyone needs to know, put that ancient artifact in a box before I came on holiday to Norway. Maybe I should wash off this blood on my hands. Oh no, I've fallen palm first into this Animus!
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The whole animus stuff really boils my piss and is nothing but a time sink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A gameplay trailer with no actual gameplay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Gameplay :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A gameplay trailer with no actual gameplay.

Comment on NeoGaf: "You play as a cinematic camera" :pac:

You'll all be eating your words when the game just turns out to be a 42 hour long movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

That's a "loud" trailer not a bit like what an assassin should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People are still forgetting that Vikings were around before Assassins, so makes sense it wouldn't be assassiney like the first few games, and it's more a setting and explanation of (most likely) the origins of the First Civilisation. Another in the world of AC, rather than a direct AC game.

It does sound like it's going to be more 'realistic' than Odyssey, but I still hope they get the lore intertwined in nicely too. I loved that about Odyssey, so more of that please. Will be interesting to see how they handle the more, animalistic, nature of raiding, if it's even mentioned at all (it's a toughie).

But most of all, I'm really looking forward to maintaining my beard in game. And for that reason, I hope the male voice actor is good in this one. I expect beards to have the most options!! #morebeardsingames

Decided to go back to Odyssey and finish the DLC. God it's a fun game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

People are still forgetting that Vikings were around before Assassins

The events in Origins happened about 800 years before Vikings started raiding England so assassins were definitely around. Depending on the exact date it's only 100-200 years off Altairs time, there's assassins aplenty about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Black Flag and AC III had great ship combat and I enjoyed the shanties and general thrill of boarding a ship but in the case of Black Flag the grind to max out the ship was too much. I'm about ready to see the back of it now.

Grind in an Assassins Creed Game? Well i never...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

After watching the gameplay it has a whiff of For Honour off it. Hope not as didn't care for that game at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

One of the season pass missions will feature
    Beowulf
    . It was let slip on Ubi Germany's website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,496 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

From an Ubisoft producer on an interview contradicting an earlier claim on size;

"I would actually say in terms of range [Valhalla] is probably a bit larger than Assassins Creed Odyssey," said Laferrière. I do not have the exact figures at this stage, but we have not only created the whole country, which is in this case England, but also to a good part of Norway too."

Larger maps have become such a put off when they're crammed with filler. I'd prefer a small denser map but if they're pushing the size out, they really need to ensure it's interesting and worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The word 'seems' is doing a lot of work in that tweet. I will believe it when I see it.

Markitron wrote: »
    The word 'seems' is doing a lot of work in that tweet. I will believe it when I see it.

Article giving more info
    http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/05/assassins_creed_valhalla_doesnt_use_the_origins_and_odyssey_loot_system

At a guess, I'd say you find levels at a base level or your own level, and you upgrade them, but upgrading will require materials, materials which will be scarce and require grinding, but you can buy packs of materials for money as a "timesaver".

Penn wrote: »
    At a guess, I'd say you find levels at a base level or your own level, and you upgrade them, but upgrading will require materials, materials which will be scarce and require grinding, but you can buy packs of materials for money as a "timesaver".

Yea, that article seems to be a bit confused. Lootboxes and gear weren't really the problem in AC:O, it was the XP system and putting storyline quests behind level gates that were the problem.

I know they said they would address this somehow but I don't believe for a second they won't monetise it in some other way instead. As much as I liked Odyssey, I found that stuff really annoying.

There's half an hour's worth of leaked gameplay footage doing the rounds this evening. At the time of posting, DSOG has it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Taken down now, how was it?

• Advertisement

Saw bits of it, combat was similar to Odyssey in that you can map abilities to buttons. It was an early build but I'd say we will get proper gameplay during the Ubisoft Forward showcase on Sunday

Whats the story with your man leaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I wouldn't say Ashraf leaving will have a huge effect. The game is already practically done at this stage.

Good to know, as it seemed like it was his baby.

tusk wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Ashraf leaving will have a huge effect. The game is already practically done at this stage.

Yea it is just gonna be months of bug-squashing at this point. Creatively the game is done.
    Good to know, as it seemed like it was his baby.

i dunno, seems like he likes to spread his love around

• Advertisement

i dunno, seems like he likes to spread his love around

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Assassin's Creed: The Witcher, by the looks of those leaks.

There was a bang of Velen from the setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J. Marston wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed: The Witcher, by the looks of those leaks.

There was a bang of Velen from the setting.

I haven't seen so much as a screenshot but surely they should have been aiming for Skellige not Velen

ERG89 wrote: »
    I haven't seen so much as a screenshot but surely they should have been aiming for Skellige not Velen

Skellige was mountainous, whereas Velen was bleak and flat, which is probably closer to medieval England

Watch it here before it gets taken down. Also please note that it's probably an early build
    https://www.joyfreak.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-30-minute-gameplay-leaked.mp4

Skill tree and inventory show up around 27 minutes into video

Skellige was mountainous, whereas Velen was bleak and flat, which is probably closer to medieval England

Or Offaly.

Or Offaly.

Lol.

Still holding out hope that Ireland shows up in this game at some point.

Lol.

You try to sail West from England and there's just a giant blockade of ships with signs saying "G'way ta f*ck!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Lol.

Without the cringe accents tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

Lol.

itll just look the same as the rest of the map really, i hope they make it a tight map that doesnt need hours of pointless crap pumped into it so you get to go everywhere

Heres looking at you Odyssey

• Advertisement

recyclops wrote: »
    itll just look the same as the rest of the map really, i hope they make it a tight map that doesnt need hours of pointless crap pumped into it so you get to go everywhere

Heres looking at you Odyssey

Yea. Odyseey's map itself was great, but Ubisoft need to learn the value of an empty space and not put filler content every 10m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Without the cringe accents tho!

Don't worry, the fella who voiced Shay Cormac is now a waiter! :D

Whatever that was it's been pulled.

I'm guessing it is the leaked footage of a boss fight. It looked very similar to Odyssey, not that that is a bad thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Cheers for posting.

As said above, looks like Odyssey with a different coat, not gonna be any big gameplay breakthroughs. But I loved Odyssey so looking forward to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah too much like odyssey for my liking. Will grab on sale

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Happy enough with more of the same tbh. Odyssey was fantastic. Not sure about the voice of the female pc though...will have to see what the male is like before deciding who to play as. Kassandra was far (faaar) better then Alexios in Odyssey.

An Xbox ad for the game with the release date leaked via the Assassin's Creed Italy Instagram account: Coming out November 17th, 2 days before Cyberpunk. Hopefully this is false

• Advertisement

An Xbox ad for the game with the release date leaked via the Assassin's Creed Italy Instagram account: Coming out November 17th, 2 days before Cyberpunk. Hopefully this is false

Assassins? Italy?? Cryptic messages??? Anyone have Robert Langdon's number?

Advertisement