Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the roughest pub in Dublin city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is that provo pub widow scannels still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

fryup wrote: »

Widow Scanlans. Long gone. It’s been an apartment block for at least a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Cafe en Seine.
    The prices there are very rough on your wallet.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Collie D wrote: »

we're both wrong it was called Widow Scallans

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

we're both wrong it was called Widow Scallans

I’m blaming auto correct :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Rx713B wrote: »
    I second this

Noggin Inn isn't even in top 20 or 30 roughest pubs. Few heads, but in general it's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Collie D wrote: »

Went in there 25+ years back on a rollover after a debs. They weren't long in fookin us out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Molloys mightnt be all that rough but I went in one Sunday afternoon over the summer and wasnt long leaving again. No immediate threats, but enough attention to make me feel uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The Patriots in Kilmainham doesn't belong in this thread. They get plenty of tourists sure

Clearys on Sarsfield Rd was a horrible place when I was last in it for a quiet after work pint on my own. Two locals annoying me and asking question after question that I was a garda which I'm not.And even if I was can gardai not have after work pints? Staff were not nice either, never returned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Anyone remember Baron Johns in Crumlin Shopping Centre just above the off license?

Only ever made a brief visit in there myself but used yo have a bad rep when I was growing up

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The Corduff Inn was fairly rough, closed a while now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Apart from the Brew Dock, pretty much anywhere near Connolly is bad! Especially heading up towards the Five Lamps / North Strand. Scum central.

Graingers is fine, Ryans is fine, the two hotel bars are fine, the Harbourmaster is fine, Urban Brewing is fine, Ely is fine... One of those (North Star hotel bar) is in your up towards definition.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

beertons wrote: »

Long since reopened

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Bar/Leonards-Bar-Corduff-467816856907909/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

beertons wrote: »

Reopened quite a while now, done up but same clientele. The local of the missus, only been in once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

VW 1 wrote: »
    Reopened quite a while now, done up but same clientele. The local of the missus, only been in once.
    It wouldnt suit to be drinking where the missus was head bouncer

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

L1011 wrote: »
    Graingers is fine, Ryans is fine, the two hotel bars are fine, the Harbourmaster is fine, Urban Brewing is fine, Ely is fine... One of those (North Star hotel bar) is in your up towards definition.

Clearys on Amiens St, under the bridge is a great pub.
    Its well run and lovely pints. I call in for a guinness after work every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sinbad311

BDI wrote:
    Amazing it still gets a bar license. An inspector would see drug use just from walking into the place on a Tuesday afternoon.

BDI wrote:
    I named a few earlier and never thought to name my old local. The priorswood inn. When I was young and tough and in my 20s I drank here. Then at a certain age you realise you arnt bulletproof and I stopped drinking there.

BDI wrote:
    I was looking around one time trying to figure out If I was the only man in the pub that hadn’t been to jail. The fact I’d a conviction or two wasn’t an issue I’d never been locked up so seen myself as the gentleman of the pub.

BDI wrote:
    The pub itself has had so many fights, stabbing, shootings over the years they don’t get mentioned in the paper. People shot or shot at on their way home from there a fair bit.

BDI wrote:
    I’d be frightened now in my late thirties even going into the newsagents a few doors up from it.

BDI wrote:
    I remember as a kid actually eating food in there. They don’t serve food anymore I don’t think.

BDI wrote:
    I’d actaully say at any time in that pub there could be ten people sat there who have been shot before. No exaggeration.

Lovely pint of Guinness in the bar though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

The Beach Tavern in Irish town was a mad little place. Went in there twice after I had a skinful as it was the only time I was brave enough. Apparently the clientele was anyone who was banned from all other pubs in ringsend & irishtown. More full of oddballs than any real danger though. I remember going for a piss and there was a fella having a dump in a cubicle with the door open!

It had that hipster style writing on the outside like you’d see in the Galway bay bars advertising a ‘pizza & pint’ deal. I can’t imagine what you’d get served up if you ordered it!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Noctors seemed open when I went by this evening. Never the most inviting place so hard to tell!

A former contender the sunset house has reopened as the little tree...big windows now like the places on meath st

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Character Building

The Snug Bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Can't believe it took six pages for the Priorswood to be mentioned.
    Had a few good nights in there but the crowd was very dodgy looking, definitely the roughest place I've drank in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The thornbush was a great pub in its day. Don't remember it being rough. I do remember a fella getting shot in the blue Lion though. It was rough alright

Yeah Thornbush is going back to the mid to late 90s. Good bar, easy enough to walk in the Blue Lion by mistake coming from Gardiner St if you weren’t sure. You probably drank in the Welcome Inn as well no?

The Towers in Ballymun was fairly sketch at one time. Loads were back in the day, Chinaman, Harp Bar, William Tell. All gone, all different but all dodgy in their own way. Don’t think pubs like that exist today really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

The towers, the only boozer next to a garda station that had regular armed hold ups
    Yeah Thornbush is going back to the mid to late 90s. Good bar, easy enough to walk in the Blue Lion by mistake coming from Gardiner St if you weren’t sure. You probably drank in the Welcome Inn as well no?

The Towers in Ballymun was fairly sketch at one time. Loads were back in the day, Chinaman, Harp Bar, William Tell. All gone, all different but all dodgy in their own way. Don’t think pubs like that exist today really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

That place The Sunset House where a guy was murdered a few years back and is now trading under a new name apparently, I was in it a few times before or after concerts in Croker and never saw any trouble. Friends of mine from Cork used it as their pre-match pints pub when the rugby matches had temporarily relocated to Croker due to Lansdowne being refurbished. I think they were unaware of its somewhat dicey rep. But yeah personally I never saw any trouble there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah it is. A lot of the clientele have started drinking in Lagoona in the IFSC, which results in a very strange mix on a Friday afternoon/evening of corporate after-work drinkers, and really rough folk.

Definitely wouldn't class the Patriots as rough. It's a mix of locals and tourists, and they do really decent grub from the Italian restaurant upstairs (you can eat it in the pub if you want).

Although the first time I was in there they played the national anthem at the end and everyone stood up.

Haha that brings back memories, me and a friend moved into the area in 2005 and went on a search for a new local. Found ourselves in the Patriots at closing time and when the karaoke finished on went Amhran Na Bhfiann and the whole pub rose up. You could still buy a pint when it finished :D Good pub the Patriot, they had a very active darts team in the bar and the 'Old Kilmainham' locals were always friendly. We drank there for a few weeks until we discovered the Royal Oak and then that became our permanent local. Anyone know is the Patriot still playing the national anthem at closing time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The thornbush was a great pub in its day. Don't remember it being rough. I do remember a fella getting shot in the blue Lion though. It was rough alright

Never had any bother in the Thornbush. Likewise Cardiffsbridge Inn. Went in a few times and just seemed a bit of a local aul fella boozer.

A favourite pastime of mine is a game called Danger Pints. A drink in some of the roughest pubs in Dublin. Generally you go in on a weeknight/weekend afternoon. Have one, max two drinks. Preferably sit at the bar for maximum enjoyment. Bonus points if there's been a murder or murder attempt. Ones I've frequented to date:

Barn House, Dolphins Barn
    Finches, Neilstown
    Jobstown House
    Killinarden House, Tallaght
    The Marble Arch, Drimnagh (my local)
    The Black Forge, Crumlin
    Cleary's, Kilmainham (surprisingly, this is the one I felt most uneasy in)

Jobstown House, Killinarden House and the Black Forge really aren't that bad at all. Most especially in the afternoon. You must be quite easily worried.

Clearys seemed a bit of a kip when I was last there alright

machaseh wrote: »
    Kiltipper Inn, Kiltipper Tallaght.

Good lord.:D It's just a bog standard suburban Dublin pub that serves food. If you relocated to any postcode in Dublin, it'd be virtually indistinguishable from most pubs there. Has anybody thanking these posts actually had a drink in any of these pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That place was rough as fcuk and wins this thread. In 1994 the UVF came through the doors with a bomb in a holdall. A doorman challenged him and they shot him dead point blank and ran. Had the bomb gone off they would have killed dozens of IRA members who were in the pub holding a fundrairser for IRA prisoners families.

Then in 2002 the the Holiday Inn hotel had just opened up opposite the Widow Scallons and Pearse Street started getting tourists for the first time ever. A family of English tourists walked in for a pint not knowing it was a IRA pub, locals heard the accents and one of them got stabbed several times outside the pub soon after with the others getting badly beaten.
    neris wrote: »
    The towers, the only boozer next to a garda station that had regular armed hold ups

That garda station next to the Towers was rigged out like an army fortress complete with 20ft high barbed wire fencing all around the perimeter. It said a lot about Ballymun that the Gardai had to fortify their station.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The black forge is fine. Never once seen any trouble in it and I used to go most weekends for years.

The kestrel house is way worse.

Horseshoe inn crumlin village bit of a drive too

• Advertisement

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Anyone remember Baron Johns in Crumlin Shopping Centre just above the off license?

Only ever made a brief visit in there myself but used yo have a bad rep when I was growing up

Mad place. Closed years ago though.

Advertisement