Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Blowing that chance towards the end, with 20 meters of open grass in front of them was criminal. They'd done the hard part too, did some nice passing out the back to suck in the defense and create the space. You'd weep watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It’s even more frustrating that at the beginning of Larkham’s time the back line were playing some lovely rugby, Goggin and Daly in particular were looking like proper players. Then the internationals came back and the whole approach got scrapped.

POM even mentioned they were struggling on their return. Since then it’s been non existent.

If anyone like me has been waiting all season to snap up that black padded jacket they were wearing on Saturday, it’s finally on sale in Lifestyle. Literally marked down on sale already too. Not sure what took so long to stock it.

buying one on Saturday has been one of the few highlights of the season for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Suprised it took so long to announce who most people expected to be named as Head coach without actually naming the backroom team.

I presumed the delay was down to finalising the backroom and maybe the DOR.

I wonder would Denis Leamy come back down to munster from Leinster or the likes of Sean O'Brein be interested In starting his coaching at Munster??

• Advertisement

no 1 priority would be getting James Coughlan home IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

i wouldnt get Leamy. Not enough experience as coach and Sean O Brien has zero experience as coach. That isnt what Munster need right now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Does Mike Prendergast have any interest in coming back?

Rowntree seems a sensible appointment.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would imagine the delay would more likely be down to Rowntree not being their first preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would think they will probably let Rowntree select his own coaching team. They do need a fresh look.

Hoping Carolan is approached. But, I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I doubt it. The word is out.

When van Graan signed his new contract in July '21 Munster hadn't signed Rowntree or Larkham up at that stage.

Larkham announced in Nov (possibly earlier to Munster) he was off.

“I’m not going to speculate over the media about my contract. Obviously, I’m in the last season of my contract and my full focus is on the season ahead. I’m really enjoying my time at Munster, really enjoying the club and am just focused on the week ahead,” 

• - van Graan Sep '21

I'm not sure exactly when vG did the dirt (as early as Sep or around when it was announced (highly unlikely) in Nov/Dec). But it left Munster with very little room for manoeuvre.

Munster probably knew in Nov/Dec that they couldn't get a replacement at the end of the season and it made sense to sign Rowntree up and give him the head coach role (officially!) at end of season. keep some continuity and get recruitment and contracts tied up etc.

"The head coach question, well that's one for another day. What I can tell you is the club and all the parties concerned are very aware of my coaching aspirations."

• Rowntree 5th Jan '22

Oh I am sure that Rowntree wanted the job all along and applied as soon as he could.

But Rowntree confirming he'd declared his interest in January, and this not being announced until April with all uncertainty and questions in between all but confirms that Munster spent the in-between time shopping around or trying to convince someone else to take the job.

Rowntree almost certainly is plan B, but it may not be a bad appointment so long as he gets a strong staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I dunno. I think the deal was done end of last year Either of these make sense to me:

1. Munster offered him the Job in Nov/Dec after

a) realising they couldn't get a more experienced head coach or b) wanted to give it to him. Continuity etc.

or even 2. Rowntree said I'm not signing up unless I'm taking over as head coach....Munster heads looked at each other & said ok lets get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

We knew Rowntree was going to be involved with us anyway and we all know his pedigree and that he is very much committed to Munster so in a way it’s probably not a bad thing that he’s getting the head job. Andy Farrell has shown it's possible for a deputy to step up to Head Coach and bring huge changes to a game plan. 

I assume he’ll keep the role of Forwards coach for himself and continue in the development of the likes of the Wycherley brothers, Hodnett, Ahern, O'Sullivan, Barron, Buckley & Kendellen.

His backroom team is what will be interesting - whatever people’s views on JvG are he certainly brought in a great defence coach with him so Rowntree’s priority must be a top notch defence and skills’attack coach. 

One more thing, I really hope that he's a lucky coach, we have some run of bad luck and turning that around would be nice.

I don't think you can say that with absolute certainty, but him declaring interest 12 weeks ago and it being announced / confirmed a week after significant criticism came from former and to a degree current players paints it's own optics.

Will be interested in seeing who comes in. A Lancaster type signing would be optimal albeit I feel that some element of the coaching team needs to be Munster through and through. Lancaster has Leo, Rowntree needs a hybrid of the two.

Next time Ian Flanagan is in front of a microphone (not held by a member of the Munster media team) he should be properly queried about all this as from supporters perspective this hasn't looked like good management (albeit there may well be a reasonable explanation).

Felix Jones should be on the radar, has to be a backs coach somewhere in the top 14 or super rugby that wants a challenge.

Big question is when does Rowntree effectively take over. My gut says the sooner the better but if the season tapers off it might be best leave that hanging around JVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

JVG needs to see out this season if on a downward ebb, allows Rowntree launch his vision and positivity with a good pre season. Anything other than this could set him off on a wrong foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Felix Jones should be on the radar, has to be a backs coach somewhere in the top 14 or super rugby that wants a challenge.

Felix Jones has already done a pretty underwhelming job at Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Im afraid to break it to you but I dont think Munster are going to get 4 world class seasoned coaches a year out from a world cup year.

The head coach has zero head coach experience. But by all accounts is an excellent Forwards coach.

He needs a backs, attack and defense coach and maybe a forwards/Scrum coaching depending on his own new role. There is no mention of a DOR in the updates so far today.

While he may want to hold onto the forwards role himself its his first head coach role he doesn't want to bite off more than he can chew.

Most realistic scenario is he gets a 2 experienced top level coaches and 2 young coaches that could be very good or might not make the grade and are replaced after the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Are the permutations that if we win the 2 legs overall on Saturday, if Toulouse are overall winner we play them in Aviva and if Ulster win it's Kinspan? I'm sure it's come up before now but not having a search option in the thread makes it a pain to find

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah. If we beat Exeter it's either Ulster away or Toulouse at home (probably in the Aviva).

• Advertisement

Why would you not play Toulouse in Thomond?

Ed Sheeran is playing there on the Thursday and Friday before the QF weekend so the ground is unavailable.

Yup. It's the reason that the Munster v Leinster URC game were swopped around. The pitch will be out of commission for a couple weeks after the gig.

Same reason that Cork can't play their Munster Hurling Championship match against Clare or their Football Championship game against Kerry in Pairc Ui Caoimh. These gigs are obviously worth more after two years of Covid than hostings matches would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Injury update: Kendellen will begin the return to play protocols under the supervision of the medical department and his availability will be determined later in the week.

Jack O’Sullivan, who replaced Kendellen, sustained a knee injury during the game and will go for a scan today.

Joey Carbery (leg/knee) and Peter O’Mahony (hamstring) will both return to training today and their availability will be determined later in the week.

Simon Zebo and Diarmuid Barron have both recovered from illness and will return to training today.

Continuing to rehab: Gavin Coombes (ankle), Dave Kilcoyne (neck), Tadhg Beirne (thigh), Andrew Conway (knee), James French (knee), RG Snyman (knee).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Today was a good news day regarding coaching news I think, anybody think differently? I'm hoping this news will settle the nerves a little bit before next weekend above all else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

who said anything about world class coaches? He needs lot more experienced coaches and not anything like what you suggested which isnt what Munster need right now. I cant see him keeping the forwards role and he will get someone in that position.

Advertisement