Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaking headlight, Ford Mondeo MK4

Options
  • 17-01-2021 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

My Mondeo has a condensation problem on one of the headlights. I've removed it and completely dried it out several times each time finding maybe a half cup of water inside. After drying it out it's fine until the next time it rains, then I'm back to square one. As there is no damage to the lens or housing I think the butyl seal between the body and the front lens is letting in water.

Is there any business in the Dublin area re-doing these seals? I believe the process involves heating the unit in an oven to soften the old seal, separating the front lens and resealing with new butyl rubber which needs to be clamped hot and allowed to cool with the clamps in place. Not something I'd try at home.

With the cost of replacement headlamp units surely there is money to be made redoing the seals? Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pick up another in breakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Pick up another in breakers?

might try that if I have too. Not a lot of them around, it's a Titanium X with adaptive headlamps and integral cornering lights.

Pete67 wrote: »
    might try that if I have too. Not a lot of them around, it's a Titanium X with adaptive headlamps and integral cornering lights.

Have you looked up eBay or even ford to see can a replacement seal be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I've never heard of anyone commercially doing this.

Have seen DIY guides online but the combination of the effort it takes to do it, with the likelygood of ballsing up the lamp and having to stand over the work, and the huge low cost availability of second hand and generic lamps, i can see why there wouldn't be a market for it.

I see Micksgarage do a new generic unit for €120 delivered, i'd say a breaker would supply a used lamp for less than €50.

I wouldn't say anyone would bake it, split it, clean and prep it, bead it and clamp it back for less than that and make money in the process.

This could be an option....

https://youtu.be/883teUfY0LE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Ford just want to sell a new headlight unit, over €800. Will try the generic route, if it can be had for €120 I'll probably go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Pete67 wrote: »

I can't see Micksgarage having one of them, you could be lucky with a breakers someone like Traynors in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Missed that sorry, yeh gonna struggle there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Wasn't a fancy one like that, but I got one from a Ford garage in England via Ebay last year. Was a fraction of the standard cost and genuine part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

I had similar issue same car. I got two new headlights obviously spurious for less than 200e delivered. Hard to get from a breakers as they like to keep the front of the car together plus no guarantee that what you'd get would be any better than what you have

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Did you try sealing it op? Those spurious lights can be dreadful quality. I put one into a MK2 Octavia I got cruel hardship with it, even worse the fecker was full of mist a few months later. Samora junk..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have seen people break the seal by heating it in a low oven ~80°C for a half hour and then separating the lens from the body.
    Cleaning the old butyl sealant off and then resealing them.
    It was a common problem on the Accord Mk7

Some peeps drilled a small hole in the underside to let water out and that worked as well.

Advertisement