Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

Hi all,

apologies if this has been asked before. I have booked flights for a break in March with AL.
    i have decided not to take the risk with COVID.
    On my confirmation email I see on the endorsements/rstrictions:
    NO RFND/CHG FEE APPLIES
    CXL BY FLT DT OR NO VALUE.

I presume this means I am not entitled to a refund and if I change flight a fee applies?
    Any idea what the second line relates to?

I have tried to contact Aer Lingis customer care to no avail so any info much appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I read "CXL BY FLT DT OR NO VALUE" to mean cancel by the flight date or ticket has no value, although in any case, I think you can get your taxes back.

Pretty sure I got an email yesterday from Aer Lingus that said you can change all their flights free, even on existing bookings. Looks like I have deleted it, so can't double-check the small print.

Try starting the process on-line to change the booking and see if it allows you to, if you have alternative dates.

I think the airlines have decided allowing flexibility gives them a better chance of holding on to your money and avoiding what must be a very costly refund process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 aslamshaun

actuar90 wrote: »
    How long did the charge back with AIB take? We are now waiting months on them to resolve this

Just an update. I had an AIB chargeback which was filed on Oct 8. Got the fund back yesterday. I am yet to receive their letter by post. So I am guessing they are processing the requests pretty fast now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pretty sure I got an email yesterday from Aer Lingus that said you can change all their flights free, even on existing bookings. Looks like I have deleted it, so can't double-check the small print.

Aer Lingus say no change fees but they renege on it.

We had a booking for May 2020, booked in Jan 2020 before we knew there would be any lockdowns. Changed it (no fee) to May 2021. Wanted to change it from this May to Sept or Oct. Free flight change out the window, 50 quid per person per flight, plus 95 euro each in fare difference.

I paid 297 in Jan 2020. The Oct 2021 flights come to 347. Not sure how they get a 95 euro difference per passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭daludo

Hi all
    I know my situation must be replicated up and down the country but I cant seem to find an answer on Ryanair website for this. I (regretfully) accepted a Ryanair voucher last May for a cancelled flight to Barcelona. In my wisdom I booked another flight with this voucher for July 3rd this year. Now we have decided given the current climate that we wont be flying in July. My question is will I be entitled to a refund (presume not) or at least look for another voucher??Forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject!!!!
    Regards
    Daludo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Neither if you change your mind. If the flight is cancelled then you will be told your original voucher is still valid. You will also be told that it's impossible to convert said voucher into a cash refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭daludo

Thanks Carinica,
    So Im right in assuming that the only way I can avoid losing all my money is
    1. If I decide to fly
    2. If the flight is cancelled.
    Should have clicked on the refund button last year!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

daludo wrote: »
    Thanks Carinica,
    So Im right in assuming that the only way I can avoid losing all my money is
    1. If I decide to fly
    2. If the flight is cancelled.
    Should have clicked on the refund button last year!!!:(

Same as my parents! In their case the new flight was cancelled and Ryanair are still insisting they can't get a refund. Voucher expires in April and posters here think they can then get a refund. I need to find time to get that confirmed in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

For anyone wondering how refunds with Aer Lingus are going,

(flights booked in 2019 for March 2020, rebooked for March 2021)

Rang on 19th of January 2021 after getting the "your flight is cancelled" e-mail, got through straight away to an agent, and was given a full refund.

got an e-mail confirming the refund was processing on 26th January 2021

got the refund today on the 29th of January 2021.

According to this if you willingly accepted a voucher then you will not be given a refund later.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/ie010221Page1-scaled.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

spurious wrote: »
    Aer Lingus say no change fees but they renege on it.

We had a booking for May 2020, booked in Jan 2020 before we knew there would be any lockdowns. Changed it (no fee) to May 2021. Wanted to change it from this May to Sept or Oct. Free flight change out the window, 50 quid per person per flight, plus 95 euro each in fare difference.

I paid 297 in Jan 2020. The Oct 2021 flights come to 347. Not sure how they get a 95 euro difference per passenger.

Just on this. It really pissed me off when Aer Lingus sent round their most recent 'free flight changes' ads, so I got on to them again, this time on twitter, not chat.

Seems their chat minions were misinformed and giving people false info about change fees. Bit of a bummer when due to their threat of 50 euro per leg per passenger, plus flight price difference, I went and booked a new flight with Ryanair.

Will see what I can cobble together in terms of moving the flights again (and maybe changing destination), but will bypass chat and go straight to the reservation people.

tl;dr Don't believe what they tell you on chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

Anyone tried small claims court on ryanair and it worked? So pissed off they stated last year a refund will be issued if voucher not used for 12 months and now are backing off.
    I only accepted it on the basis of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

Caranica wrote: »
    Same as my parents! In their case the new flight was cancelled and Ryanair are still insisting they can't get a refund. Voucher expires in April and posters here think they can then get a refund. I need to find time to get that confirmed in the coming weeks.

Had the same situation, they refused the refund, can only use the voucher to book another flight but probably won’t work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I booked a flight in December for this May and Ryanair have now changed the flight date so I can now get a refund.

It is worth waiting til near the flight date as with so little travelling Ryanair are reducing the amount of flights and thus a good chance your flight will be reimbursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

I booked a flight in December for this May and Ryanair have now changed the flight date so I can now get a refund.

It is worth waiting til near the flight date as with so little travelling Ryanair are reducing the amount of flights and thus a good chance your flight will be reimbursed.

Request refund. No point in waiting. Ryanair refunds are not based on anything except the chance to hold on to your hard earned money.

You may just have to try a chargeback where success will vary depending on bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭xlogo

Anyone ever get a refund from QuickPark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

According to this if you willingly accepted a voucher then you will not be given a refund later.

The moral of the story is never, ever accept a voucher. All you are doing is signing away your EU261 rights to the airline.

Cash is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Has anyone received a refund from easyjet for upcoming bookings, if so do you receive the full refund back if cancelling in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Cancelled two Ryanair vouchers last week which I had intended to use at some point this year but obviously any travel this year now looks pretty bleak.

I used the "refuse voucher" link on their site and got the email to say it's processing and I can still use vouchers until this has been done. I then received a follow up email for both bookings the next day to say I'd have to verify my details as these were purchased via a 3rd party/screen scraper site. I knew for a fact this was incorrect so I went on to their live chat on the website and basically explained this etc and they put me in line for a refund. I had an email back soon after confirming this for both and then a couple of days later I got one email to say my voucher was voided and refund processed which showed up on my credit card a couple of days later. Have since got the second email to say my other one has been processed so just keeping an eye on my account but looks like got it all sorted in about a week.

Pleasantly surprised as I was expecting to have to put a fight or resign myself to using the vouchers before they expired when I received those emails saying these were booked elsewhere (still not sure why they were flagged like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beechfiled

Has anyone managed to get a refund from Quickpark in Dublin Airport. They're not answering emails or phone and are still taking bookings. I'm waiting on 3 refunds from last year.
    Last reply was in August stating they were processing refunds for March.

• Advertisement

Beechfiled wrote:
    Has anyone managed to get a refund from Quickpark in Dublin Airport. They're not answering emails or phone and are still taking bookings. I'm waiting on 3 refunds from last year. Last reply was in August stating they were processing refunds for March.

No nothing happening with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mrperty2011

xlogo wrote: »
    No nothing happening with them.

Just did chargeback on credit card and got refund that way. Even quickpark recommended I follow that approach

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beechfiled

Just did chargeback on credit card and got refund that way. Even quickpark recommended I follow that approach
    My credit card company won't entertain it because its gone over the 100 days or what ever the timeline is. I book the spaces in December 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

Aer Lingus gave me voucher last year and I asked if instead I can have a refund this year but they said it is not possible and I can use the voucher in the next few years. I am just wondering about the vaccine passport.If they will force to have a vaccination passport I will not travel, I guess they will have to give my money back at that time since they add a new requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Aer Lingus gave me voucher last year and I asked if instead I can have a refund this year but they said it is not possible and I can use the voucher in the next few years. I am just wondering about the vaccine passport.If they will force to have a vaccination passport I will not travel, I guess they will have to give my money back at that time since they add a new requirement?

In the short term, I'd have thought a vaccine passport is very likely, but in a couple of years time, hopefully the world will be all but free of coronavirus, and the requirement for such a passport may not be necessary.

I think those Aer Lingus vouchers are valid for 5 years, so I'd say there'll be a couple of years when you'll be able to use it without the extra requirements. Something to look forward to.

Same here - frustrating especially when people had made an allowance for a delay in getting a refund due to the current situation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just got a refund from air Europa for flights last year even though AIB gave it back as a charge back 7 months ago! I’ll just leave it sitting there and see if they come back for it ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I booked flights back in January 2020 for a party of 7 going Marseille - Dublin return with Aer Lingus. One of the party was a friend of my son.
    I received a voucher for the full amount + 10%. The mother of the friend wants a refund for the amount she paid, which is of course normal.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to transfer part of a voucher to someone else. Has anyone been in this position?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I booked flights back in January 2020 for a party of 7 going Marseille - Dublin return with Aer Lingus. One of the party was a friend of my son.
    I received a voucher for the full amount + 10%. The mother of the friend wants a refund for the amount she paid, which is of course normal.

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to transfer part of a voucher to someone else. Has anyone been in this position?

I don’t think so. Was in similar position on a few flights last year. Two choices really. Either you pay from your own pocket and keep the voucher value or she waives her request and you rebook for same group using voucher at a later date.

In my scenarios I was happy to refund friends myself as I was confident I’d get use of the vouchers but that was my decision and they didn’t ask - I just wanted to close it out. Certainly wouldn’t feel obligated as it’s not your fault and with seven in your party it could be a big cash hit for you.

EDIT: Another option I did use on one booking was to raffle the voucher between the three of us on the booking. Which I won thankfully as voucher was in my name and would have had to buy the winner out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

so a fllght with aer lingus booked in april, its a smart fare , due out september to raleigh nc, ii have applied for a refund after they had changed the inward time, well jetblue had, but instead of a decision i just get an email confirming the flight times have changed and a were sorry the flight times have changed. any idea what are my chances of getting the refund, they are only offering a voucher refund, but at this stage a grandchild is on the way and the time change among other things is making it so i really need to get it changed . just wondered what are my chances . thanks in advance

Advertisement