Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Manor Kilbride and surrounds

Options
  • 29-09-2020 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I have recently moved to the area to work in Tallaght. I am hoping to buy a property in the area around Manor Kilbride, possibly as far south as the reservoir. Please can I ask for a steer on the wisdom of this from the perspective of daily commuting, broadband in the area, and also is winter. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I lived in Donard for a short while about 5 years ago, Donard being a number of miles to the south of the area you are talking about. I worked in Dundrum so would commute to and from each day. Coming home, I remember at the time the traffic along the N81 was pretty slow from 4pm on. Morning was not so bad as I would tend to start very early. Eventually I abandoned the N81 completely and would commute via the Bohernabreena road (R114). Depending on where you are planning to work in Tallaght, that might be a better option for daily commutes then N81.

As for the winters – cannot say as I was not living in the area long enough to experience a bad winter. But I would imagine being higher up you are more prone to snow and ice in the winter months then other areas.

Cant give any advice on Broadband sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

With regard to broadband, it seems that Manor Kilbride is not in National Broadband Ireland's intervention area because other service providers operate there. I guess therefore that fibre broadband is available there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

ArAis20 wrote: »
    Hi, I have recently moved to the area to work in Tallaght. I am hoping to buy a property in the area around Manor Kilbride, possibly as far south as the reservoir. Please can I ask for a steer on the wisdom of this from the perspective of daily commuting, broadband in the area, and also is winter. Thank you.

Broadband in the village is OK. Once you get to the more rural areas it's hit and miss. Winters can be sxtremely harsh. You can and will get snowed in occasionally. A 4X4 is essential if you need to get out and about. Great school and Crauls is an excellent local shop. Beautiful part of the county and the local folks are great. Shame Mooneys pub will probably never reopen but such is life. Enjoy it, just prepare for the worst weather wise and enjoy the summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

XLR 8 wrote: »
    Broadband in the village is OK. Once you get to the more rural areas it's hit and miss. Winters can be sxtremely harsh. You can and will get snowed in occasionally. A 4X4 is essential if you need to get out and about. Great school and Crauls is an excellent local shop. Beautiful part of the county and the local folks are great. Shame Mooneys pub will probably never reopen but such is life. Enjoy it, just prepare for the worst weather wise and enjoy the summers.

I think extremely harsh winters is somewhat of an exaggeration! You will at worst have a month or so of frosty/snowy mornings. This winter has been the five days last week.

Manor Kilbride is a very small, quiet village. You will likely need to do you grocery shopping etc. in Blessington which is less than ten minutes away. As for the commute to Tallaght, depending where you are going, currently I would say 20 minutes at most. When things return to normal, add another 10-15 minutes.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I think extremely harsh winters is somewhat of an exaggeration! You will at worst have a month or so of frosty/snowy mornings. This winter has been the five days last week.

Manor Kilbride is a very small, quiet village. You will likely need to do you grocery shopping etc. in Blessington which is less than ten minutes away. As for the commute to Tallaght, depending where you are going, currently I would say 20 minutes at most. When things return to normal, add another 10-15 minutes.

Harsh !! A friend of mine lost a son a young Garda in a storm that had nothing to do with snow. I lived there for years and the winters can be extremely harsh regardless of the snow.

• Advertisement

Harsh !! A friend of mine lost a son a young Garda in a storm that had nothing to do with snow. I lived there for years and the winters can be extremely harsh regardless of the snow.

Yes I think we all remember that storm and the Guard that died. Once in a generation event and not typical of Irish weather by any means. I had to battle my way home that night, as did many others.

A harsh winter is in Eastern Europe or in the middle states of the US. Not in Manor Kilbride! A sense of perspective is always useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

Ive friends that live there.
    Lovely area
    You get the country life, but very close to dublin.
    N81 traffic can be bad at peak times though

Yes I think we all remember that storm and the Guard that died. Once in a generation event and not typical of Irish weather by any means. I had to battle my way home that night, as did many others.

A harsh winter is in Eastern Europe or in the middle states of the US. Not in Manor Kilbride! A sense of perspective is always useful!

I gave you a sense of perspective its obviously lost on you. Now you want to compare weather in Wicklow with Eastern Europe. Thats not what the OP asked !!! The article circle is pretty cold also but irrelevant in the context of a question regarding weather in Manor Kilbride. You don't know what your talking about. The non typical Irish weather you're referring to happened in Ireland ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Stan27 wrote: »
    Ive friends that live there.
    Lovely area
    You get the country life, but very close to dublin.
    N81 traffic can be bad at peak times though

and look what's on your doorstep....

He rides through Manor Kilbride at 10:45 (mins:secs into the video).

I gave you a sense of perspective its obviously lost on you. Now you want to compare weather in Wicklow with Eastern Europe. Thats not what the OP asked !!! The article circle is pretty cold also but irrelevant in the context of a question regarding weather in Manor Kilbride. You don't know what your talking about. The non typical Irish weather you're referring to happened in Ireland ???

I’m far from lost. I don’t live very far from Manor Kilbride. I know EXACTLY what I’m talking about.

• Advertisement

I’m far from lost. I don’t live very far from Manor Kilbride. I know EXACTLY what I’m talking about.

Good for you.

Advertisement