Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Street, Dublin 8.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm on the border between D8 and D12 Gav. I walk through the Tenters/down Cork Street often (well, in normal times) but wouldn't know the roads off Cork Street bar Mount Brown and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It looks like they may be knocking through from Eugene St to the new developments at St Teresa's Gardens - there's a gap in the cottages and the building on the other side seems to leave a gap as well.
    Those cottages on fingal/eugene st are tiny, I remember looking at one 4-5 years ago when they were 100k. They weren't worth that then, and are not worth the huge markup since.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Birneybau wrote: »
    I'm on the border between D8 and D12 Gav. I walk through the Tenters/down Cork Street often (well, in normal times) but wouldn't know the roads off Cork Street bar Mount Brown and that.

I've bought a bit further up in D12 near the Children's Hosp... I'll be flying the nest but my parents will still be in The Tenters so will still be visiting!
    retalivity wrote: »
    It looks like they may be knocking through from Eugene St to the new developments at St Teresa's Gardens - there's a gap in the cottages and the building on the other side seems to leave a gap as well.
    Those cottages on fingal/eugene st are tiny, I remember looking at one 4-5 years ago when they were 100k. They weren't worth that then, and are not worth the huge markup since.

That gap was a few of the abandoned houses I was talking about in post above, not sure if it will link into the new development. Next time I'm walking down I'll take a better look.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Michael_Res1

I was looking at this property to be exact. I'm searching for a place for myself and thought this place had lots of character and amnt inclined to apartment living, but not familiar with the cork street area. It's 47 m Square. I wouldnt be there for most of the day since at work. Just looking for a decent starter home. Overpriced is a given anywhere really in this market.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-2-cameron-street-cork-street-dublin-8/2761984

You are right, they are opening up Eugene Street and making Cameron Street an access road into the new social housing there. It would drastically increase the footfall on this street. Looking at the broader picture of the whole Theresa Gardens development, it's great to hear it's regenerating the area. Here is an interesting YouTube video on the buildings site on donore. It's a huge development should transform scr.

https://youtu.be/2B6Xcb9aQkY

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Given its only 47sqm they have made good use of the space. Though think about storage if you have a lot of possessions, it could be tricky in a house that small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you have more possessions than a Marie Kondo aficionado, that house won't be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Michael_Res1

L1011 wrote: »
    If you have more possessions than a Marie Kondo aficionado, that house won't be fun.

Haha decluttering is good for the home regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Haha decluttering is good for the home regardless.

It is but sometimes when you start off with a small place with no proper storage to begin with you can outgrow it very quickly because there is nowhere to put stuff away. Dont get me wrong its a lovely cute little house but its also important to think of the practicalities of living with very limited space.

It all depends on how much possessions you have though, some people can live a very minimal life. But for others like myself I need space for a bicycle, snowboard and all associated winter gear, both winter and summer motorbike gear, wetsuit for summer, etc. Im not even a big hoarder or anything but I couldnt live in a house without decent storage for what I do have. Apartments are even worse, Ive seen plenty that only have a hot press that cant even fit a normal vacuum cleaner inside it so people have to store it behind the door going into their living room along with a mop and mop bucket. That kind of stuff can be frustrating when you've to live with it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

Would that area have much anti social issues? , Cork Street and dolphins barn usual get a bad name for this, I don't know the area well enough to say.

I was looking at properties in around meath street/Christchurch area D8 and also around Old kilmainham near kilmainham lane/Bow Bridge, would anyone live there have any advice.
    My main concern is safety walking at night time both for commuting and dog walking
    Many thanks

You are right, they are opening up Eugene Street and making Cameron Street an access road into the new social housing there. It would drastically increase the footfall on this street. Looking at the broader picture of the whole Theresa Gardens development, it's great to hear it's regenerating the area. Here is an interesting YouTube video on the buildings site on donore. It's a huge development should transform scr.

https://youtu.be/2B6Xcb9aQkY

Thanks for that, hadn't see that video! Teresa's Gardens is just one part of the whole development ongoing on Donore Ave - the Bailey Gibson/Player Willis site will be huge.
    Would that area have much anti social issues? , Cork Street and dolphins barn usual get a bad name for this, I don't know the area well enough to say.

I was looking at properties in around meath street/Christchurch area D8 and also around Old kilmainham near kilmainham lane/Bow Bridge, would anyone live there have any advice.
    My main concern is safety walking at night time both for commuting and dog walking
    Many thanks

They'd be a bit of anti-social behaviour but nothing major tbh. Dolphins Barn can be a bit dodgier. Odd bit of crap around but no more than most areas in Dublin. Bow Bridge/Old Kilmainham would be grand, Christchurch too. Most of area Meath St is fine on the Pimlico side of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

They'd be a bit of anti-social behaviour but nothing major tbh. Dolphins Barn can be a bit dodgier. Odd bit of crap around but no more than most areas in Dublin. Bow Bridge/Old Kilmainham would be grand, Christchurch too. Most of area Meath St is fine on the Pimlico side of it.[/quote]

Thanks for that Info was looking around gray street which is close to pimlico but is a nice road, also Reginald street, francis Street seem to be generally fine.

Just on the SCR regeneration idea, I foresee crippling traffic issues.

Bad enough already.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's virtually no parking provided with new apartment developments within a certain distance of the city; and if an apartment is built after some date - 80s possibly - you can't apply for on-street residents permits either.

So there won't be that many car owners living in them to add to the traffic. If you want a car within the canals anymore you need to buy a house or older apartment; or get in really early on a new apartment development and you might be able to buy a space.

Not sure if there's going to be much of a public transport improvement either other than some more buses.

There's virtually no parking provided with new apartment developments within a certain distance of the city; and if an apartment is built after some date - 80s possibly - you can't apply for on-street residents permits either.

So there won't be that many car owners living in them to add to the traffic. If you want a car within the canals anymore you need to buy a house or older apartment; or get in really early on a new apartment development and you might be able to buy a space.

Not sure if there's going to be much of a public transport improvement either other than some more buses.

It's one lane each way on the SCR. Already massive jams on normal mornings.

Thanks for that Info was looking around gray street which is close to pimlico but is a nice road, also Reginald street, francis Street seem to be generally fine.

All them roads would be grand imo. Shane Horgan (the ex rugby player) would be your neighbour on the former two roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The new social apts going up at weaver park have 5 parking spots for -40 apts. I'd guess that the currently free street parking around there will be gone shortly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Would anyone have any thoughts of the Maryland area just off Cork street?

I know traditionally areas directly surrounding cork street wouldn't be the nicest however with recent developments would anyone consider it now?

I've walked around it (during the day) and while it does feel slighly rougher I wondered if crime is still a concern.

Advertisement