Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 - Project Latte

Options
  • 01-12-2020 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭

I came across this really huge piece of news this morning regarding Windows 10 support for Android. Microsoft are currently developing a new subsystem for supplying Android apps for Windows 10's new major 21h2 update & Windows 10X which is being released from next year.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-project-latte-android-apps

Windows Central is reporting that Microsoft are currently developing this new subsystem which uses a MSIX code instead of an apk so app developers can submit information to allow the Android app to be sold on the Microsoft Store on your Windows 10 devices. If this development happens along with the new GUI update which is due to come out for Windows 10 next Autumn; it would be a huge game changer for Windows users worldwide because it could become a near universal OS for every user who has the latest update on their devices from that point. Microsoft had created something called Project Astoria which was meant to put Android apps on Windows Phones before support for them was officially dropped a few years ago. The hype created for it at that time by Microsoft was unbelievable among WP users.

If you officially had a Windows Phone back then, in which I never had one, you knew what happened next.

The whole concept of Windows Phone fell through the floor like a lead balloon & died off only after a short time competing with Android & iOS.

But this news from Microsoft & Android really has the potential to be so huge for anyone using these 2 operating systems on their devices.

Any thoughts on this while you're reading my OP?

Advertisement