Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2019, 22:24   #46
The Rape of Lucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Afraid not, consumer decides based of a predefined list that the distributor cleared.

to pretend the consumer has full control as they do in other counties is disingenuous. The irish market has always and is always designed by the Distributor. Consumer no, because they know no different.
But designed by the distributor to match what they know the consumer wants.
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 22:35   #47
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rape of Lucretia View Post
Paddy is extraordinarily superficial in his car desires. Year. Then brand. He would drive a hollow shell with wooden benches if it still looked OK from the outside.
It’s definitely not like it used be. Twenty years ago plastic wheel trims and windy up windows were standard fare. Specs have improved enormously.
Many of us are quite discerning when it comes to spec- hence the popularity of imports from England as they tend to be very well specced. New cars here aren’t that far behind, the pov specs are never the range best sellers now.
11-01-2019, 22:38   #48
road_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old diesel View Post
Pulsar struggled elsewhere - I remember reading some article a good while back about the production ending and the article outlined some dreadful sales figures on a European wide basis.

It's like the way people are wondering from an Irish prospective "why did they end Avensis and diesel production" but outside Ireland an Avensis diesel is outdated as a concept.

They sold 993 Pulsars last year and tbh I wonder who bought them.

You can understand why someone would buy into a brand new Almera in 1996 as they consider they were buying into excellent reliability reputation built up from the Bluebird and Sunny days.

But that's not in play with 2019 Nissan
The Pulsar was 10% of Irish sales which wasn’t bad considering they do offer a fairly big range. The reason they brought it in was because they said they lacked a Golf class car. But the Pulsar wasn’t good enough to cut it at the end of the day.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 22:59   #49
PaulKK

Ridiculous article.

What kind of logic suggests that someone buying a 3 - 5 year old used car in the UK and paying a couple of grand in VRT is going to turn around and buy some new sh1te eco box that Nissan are peddling?

The whole point of going to the UK is to get better choice on spec and save a few quid. You aren't suddenly going to go buy a new car if that's what you normally do.

We kind of need the UK available to us to import from, it keeps our average fleet somewhat respectable, otherwise we'd all be stuck with 1.4 Corollas and i40s.

There aren't nearly as many dropping 50/60k on decent new metal here for us all to hoover up second hand.
12-01-2019, 00:22   #50
nice_guy80

This Paddy fella sounds like an awful eejit
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 20:32   #51
Philb76

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoSound View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreire View Post
Yes Toyotafanboi, you are right. I was in a VAG dealership the other day as a car transporter was unloading, all the unloaded cars were UK imports, and they joined the many others already on the site. So I presume that other dealerships are doing the same thing too in order to survive.
I see this every day, truck loads of UK imports on the N7 going to whatever dealer who brought them in.

See this as well on same road and even more often as for the days of paddy spec being gone see loads of Toyota yaris auris and avensis one to three years old that are exactly paddy spec including two friends cars and the worst offender has to be the entry level skoda fabia for sale here
12-01-2019, 20:53   #52
colm_mcm

They have bog basic models in the uk too.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=1
12-01-2019, 21:09   #53
Philb76

They do colm but the model u posted is the old one in s spec the current entry model in uk s spec is poor enough but it still has Bluetooth touchscreen the active model here has an aftermarket radio
12-01-2019, 21:17   #54
colm_mcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb76 View Post
They do colm but the model u posted is the old one in s spec the current entry model in uk s spec is poor enough but it still has Bluetooth touchscreen the active model here has an aftermarket radio
The Active spec has a Skoda headunit, it’s not touchscreen, but it’s a normal enough radio with a very small screen.
Unless they’ve changed the radio this year.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...29-pe/20273240

I would guess that the Ambition spec outsells the Active spec at least 30:1
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2019, 21:31   #55
Philb76

No that's the one know the price attracts buyers who don't care about spec but would you want to sit looking at that everyday i was just trying to respond that they are very much still here I've seen new model superbs with wheel trims probably company cars but come on
12-01-2019, 21:33   #56
colm_mcm

Nobody really buys the Active spec apart from rental companies though. As you say it exists to hit a price point, but the dealers will upsell to Ambition or Style spec, especially if it’s on finance.

If someone really wants a car with no spec why not offer a basic level spec as an entry point?
Thanks from:
12-01-2019, 21:40   #57
Philb76

Dacia offered the sandero in the uk in proper basic trim remember the ads but they wer something like 5grand new so they sold
13-01-2019, 03:42   #58
meathstevie

The moment zero emissions electric vehicles was mentioned I switched off....load of dung unless you believe in the electricity fairies.
(2) thanks from:
13-01-2019, 21:28   #59
elperello

This "Paddy spec" thing is just shorthand for a post-colonial lack of national self respect.

If you want "toys" in your car spec them and pay up.
If other people don't what's it to you?
(2) thanks from:
14-01-2019, 01:44   #60
Philb76

Quote:
Originally Posted by elperello View Post
This "Paddy spec" thing is just shorthand for a post-colonial lack of national self respect.

If you want "toys" in your car spec them and pay up.
If other people don't what's it to you?

I couldn't care less about anybody's decision to wot they drive will repeat the fact is they are still here so maybe the distributors should show some respect and not offer those versions

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion