Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any good viewing record websites?

• 17-11-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Recently I went on www.findmypast.ie I found a record of one of my ancestors being brought to the petty sessions because 3 of his pigs trespassed on his neighbours land in 1884 (suprised even that is an offence back then) but when I paid €9.95 for 90 days i was given 100 credits and each record I viewed was 10-20 credits and when your credits are gone you can view no more. I found it such a rip off. Is ancestry.com any better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

I have membership to ancestry for I think €25 a month, and I can cancel it at anytime, I've found it invaluble for my research, in particular for marriage records where they are already cross references so you have the possible spouses.. I've found loads of travel documents, found my great gran uncles US passport application which has his picture attached too....
    I'm assuming you've seen www.familysearch.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

dido2 wrote: »
    I have membership to ancestry for I think €25 a month, and I can cancel it at anytime, I've found it invaluble for my research, in particular for marriage records where they are already cross references so you have the possible spouses.. I've found loads of travel documents, found my great gran uncles US passport application which has his picture attached too....
    I'm assuming you've seen www.familysearch.org

Indeed I have found out about family search.org found out that another ancestor of the same name enter land back in the 1880's for 'pursuit of game' (poaching) I think we may be related to neighbours of ours without evening knowing it too according to a record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

You should be able to get a two-week free trial at Ancestry.com. You'd be able to judge for yourself.

The value of Ancestry greatly increases for families in the USA. If I was only interested in Irish records, probably not worth it. Depends what you're after. But still worth a free trial. You can do a lot in two weeks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Everything is worth a free trial but Ancestry is too expensive to merit a full sub. I get a month a couple of times a year. Its Irish records have improved but could be a lot better - I don't like the way they've started to import records from other sites. Just make sure to set a reminder to cancel before the end of the 2 week trial otherwise you get billed for the year. :eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Everything is worth a free trial but Ancestry is too expensive to merit a full sub. I get a month a couple of times a year. Its Irish records have improved but could be a lot better - I don't like the way they've started to import records from other sites. Just make sure to set a reminder to cancel before the end of the 2 week trial otherwise you get billed for the year. :eek:

It all depends.

For me, two separate one-month world subscriptions would cost $70. A six-month subscription costs $150. If you can actually use the site regularly, the math works to get a subscription. I've had several different lines in the US since the famine though, and the American records are the biggest draw for me.

It is expensive though and not worth it for many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 jimmyfigrolls

the national archive have the 1901 and 1911 census up, i found some useful stuff and you can view the original forms for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

We had a census in 1901 and 1911? :D:p

the national archive have the 1901 and 1911 census up, i found some useful stuff and you can view the original forms for free.

The Tithe appolment books and Soldiers wills are up online too http://www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie/

@upncmnhistori
    everything helps, thanks a million.

• Advertisement

Welcome I also heard in my 'Start you own business course' last night of a classmate that the church records are available on apple software but he said nothing about windows. :(

Welcome I also heard in my 'Start you own business course' last night of a classmate that the church records are available on apple software but he said nothing about windows.

Do you mean on a dvd or something? Is it possible s/he meant a family tree software program? Records are not usually released on cd or dvd anymore - apart from Eneclann, who are slowly offering digital downloads as well.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Welcome I also heard in my 'Start you own business course' last night of a classmate that the church records are available on apple software but he said nothing about windows.

Do you mean on a dvd or something? Is it possible s/he meant a family tree software program? Records are not usually released on cd or dvd anymore - apart from Eneclann, who are slowly offering digital downloads as well.

He just said that all the church records were up on apple (as in the computer software I am guessing) he wasn't really clear about it either. Hopefully I will find out in the next day or too.

There may some pot luck here for any genealogist you can view various records for free but they aren't all there. https://familysearch.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Dont think you will find all the parish records anywhere online or on a computer.

Those that are scanned / digitized are spread between several sources - and some are not available anywhere yet (e.g. Co. Carlow RC records etc).

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

It is probably a good idea for those who are new to genealogy, and new to posting here, to read pinkys excellent sticky.

That will clear up any confusion before it arises.

Alright fellow genealogists here is another secret of mine but some may already know about these online google slater's directory and see what you can find in your province and townland there is a good few up online here is one for Munster province http://www.failteromhat.com/slaterm.htm

Ennis http://www.celticcousins.net/ireland/1856dire.htm

Alright fellow genealogists here is another secret of mine but some may already know about these online google slater's directory and see what you can find in your province and townland there is a good few up online here is one for Munster province http://www.failteromhat.com/slaterm.htm

Yep, mentioned in my sticky.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Just to be aware, ancestry is free on the computers in some libraries in Northern Ireland. I visited Newry library to avail of this. If you live in the North or in a border area its well worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

patsman07 wrote: »
    Just to be aware, ancestry is free on the computers in some libraries in Northern Ireland. I visited Newry library to avail of this. If you live in the North or in a border area its well worth a visit.

Is it the full Worldwide package or just UK records?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

mod9maple wrote: »
    Is it the full Worldwide package or just UK records?

Its the UK version of Ancestry. (ancestry.co.uk) They definitely had passanger lists to America, can't remember if they had worldwide records tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement