Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stumped

Options
  • 19-04-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

So I spotted this forum last now by an accident and myself and my misses have passed a good solid 12 hours of Covid lockdown from all the information we’ve found.

Seriously interesting stuff, we’ve found reasons why people died and re married and all that kinda thing.

Anyway, we’ve literally found everyone and everything (Albeit very hard with the different districts, names spelling etc etc) but one thing is completely stumping us.

My misses Grandmother died in child birth with her father in 1941. We actually have seen a record of his birth (and a note of her death) and know she died in that year aged 37.

I’ve literally searched everything, just by last name, maiden name. Aged at death +- 1 year, various spellings of the first and last name and absolutely no record.

I’m just thinking now is it because she died whilst giving birth would it be registered differently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

L-M wrote: »
    So I spotted this forum last now by an accident and myself and my misses have passed a good solid 12 hours of Covid lockdown from all the information we’ve found.

Seriously interesting stuff, we’ve found reasons why people died and re married and all that kinda thing.

Anyway, we’ve literally found everyone and everything (Albeit very hard with the different districts, names spelling etc etc) but one thing is completely stumping us.

My misses Grandmother died in child birth with her father in 1941. We actually have seen a record of his birth (and a note of her death) and know she died in that year aged 37.

I’ve literally searched everything, just by last name, maiden name. Aged at death +- 1 year, various spellings of the first and last name and absolutely no record.

I’m just thinking now is it because she died whilst giving birth would it be registered differently?

Did you try the registration district where the closest hospital is located opposed to the grandmother's home town?

If you like, you could post a name and location. there is plenty people here who would love to help try and find it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

The death should be recorded in the same way, regardless of the circumstances. Is the baby's birth registered?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Delighted the forum has provided some diversion for you.

Yes, she absolutely should be registered.

If you want to give us her name and location, we'll give it a go.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

PM’d the name to ye.

I don’t suppose there’s a way of searching births by parents?

Ie what children Mary Joe and John Soap had?

Seems to be be guess work of putting in a name and then checking the birth cert to see who their parents are. I know there’s the census also but I’m pre dated 1900s

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There sort-of is by messing around with the search system; but births after 1919 are still unavaiable on the Irish Genealogy site and you have to use the old index system to try find something between 1920-1958

• Advertisement

Where’s that located?

Or are you talking about physically checking?

You can use any of the commercial sites like FindmyPast or Ancestry (paid), and also Familysearch (free but register) to try and work out kids born to particular couples by surname search.
    However, the mother's birth surname is not in the index until 1928 so the gap from 1919 to then is a challenge unless you already have a good of idea of what to look for.

These only yield index results and then you need to order certs to check your work.

From 1900-1919, you can do very effective searches like this on irishgenealogy.ie - when it first went live, I was doing speculative searches and discovered that my grandfather had an additional brother, who sadly lived and died before he was born - just found it by virtue of spotting the 2 surnames combo, with a mistranscription.

Genealogy Forum Mod

As I said in my last paragraph!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

you dont need to use the advanced search for the 1900 to 1919 births, just enter both surnames with a space either way around in the surname, and search

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

ath262 wrote: »
    you dont need to use the advanced search for the 1900 to 1919 births, just enter both surnames with a space either way around in the surname, and search

I hadn't tried that before!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help folks.

Has anyone ever searched America or is it possible?

I've possibly two Great Grandaunt that i think travelled to New york, one in 1940 and the next in 1942.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

You can access the US Census for 1940. It is available on Ancestry but I'm not sure how to get it otherwise. however you may be unlucky as both of those may have arrived after the Census.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

you only have to wait until April 2022 for the US 1950 census release, not sure how long the transcript will take after that. They have a 72 year cut off apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I think there are unindexed images of the 1940 US census on Family Search.

The Ellis island database might be useful as well for travellers to New York.

Can everyone remember to use the forum search function please?

Here's our intro to American genealogy thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95986885

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement