Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Porklife wrote: »
    Thank you Lotus..but is there any way of changing the colour and making it dark again? I don't know what to do..it's orange.. well.. probably more copper than orange but it's dry and porous and straw. I had nice hair yesterday. This is why you shouldn't mess with home dye. Ash brown...come on! Ash brown should be at least brown..not ****ing orange...I'm so pissed off

Maybe try purple shampoo and mask. It's not just for grays, I find it very good neutralizing more orange tones in my highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

SozBbz wrote: »
    Oh I don't know what to suggest. I would just get myself to a hairdresser as soon as I can. Trying to fix it yourself could make it worse and it could end up costing even more? From what I understand you've used a product with some sort of bleaching agent in it which has given you the orange colour as its stripped pigment from your hair. If you insist on trying to fix it, you're probably best on going with something with no bleach (like a semi or a toner) although it would need near constant topping up as those colours only ever last a few washes..... but regardless, from what you've described you're going to be left with a root so I'd really just seek professional intervention now.

Can I ask what possessed you to box dye now that salon opening is within reach? Were you trying to cover greys/roots or was it purely the devil making work for idle hands?

Thank you so much for your post..it was the devil making work for idle hands. My hair was fine. I don't have greys or roots, I'm just an idiot. It's orange now. I'd much rather grey. I quite like grey. Ugh. What a moron.
    I'm just gonna leave it until I can go to a professional.
    **** you Corona.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Maybe try purple shampoo and mask. It's not just for grays, I find it very good neutralizing more orange tones in my highlights.

I tried a Scott Campbell anti orange toner but it's still orange...18 euro down the drain. The annoying thing is my hair was fine, it was just a nice brown colour. I was bored and now I have orange hair 😭

neonsofa wrote: »
    Was it a lighter colour than your natural hair? Id imagine its the lightener that has lifted your natural colour. When lifting dark hair it will go orange. How dark was your natural hair? I'm just wondering would the moroccan oil colour depositing mask be too dark for you? I wouldnt use any other colour/dye on it while its already damaged so best thing would be a conditioner/mask with a non damaging pigment that adds colour to the surface of the hair rather than a chemical dye.
    Thanks Neon...yeah it was an ash brown and my hair is dark brown so I guess it lightened it. I don't know what I was thinking. I love dark chocolate brown hair but I was bored and was like..oohh ash...sounds interesting!
    Idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Porklife wrote: »
    Thanks Neon...yeah it was an ash brown and my hair is dark brown so I guess it lightened it. I don't know what I was thinking. I love dark chocolate brown hair but I was bored and was like..oohh ash...sounds interesting!
    Idiot.

Check out the colour mask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

ams wrote: »
    I'm going to hold off a while - lucky enough not to have greys so I'll leave the spot to someone who really needs it and hopefully go to the salon when its not too busy.

Saw some hairdressers are open for 12 hour days to accomodate clients - won't be easy with the masks and PPE for sure.
    Same. As much as I’m looking forward to getting my hair done, I can wait another few weeks. There are people out there with roots, greys, grown out style etc who I know really want to get their hair done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You guys are the true heroes in all of this.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Recliner

I want to bring flowers to my hairdresser next week when I'm in for my appointment.
    Is there any guidance on bringing fresh flowers to someone? A friend said she thought it wasn't allowed but didn't know why.
    Any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Recliner wrote: »
    I want to bring flowers to my hairdresser next week when I'm in for my appointment.
    Is there any guidance on bringing fresh flowers to someone? A friend said she thought it wasn't allowed but didn't know why.
    Any ideas??

I know they're not allowed on some hospital wards because of the risk of spreading infection. Maybe some chocolates or a voucher or something instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I'd also like to know this! I looked into it before and was told mesotherapy (?) might be a less invasive treatment. I'm worried about the swelling/bruising!

I bit the bullet and made an appointment for tear through fillers, I was very lucky, they had a cancelation the same day so I just got an appointment. Normally this clinic is booked out for months.

So I got the fillers about 5 days ago and all I can say is, best 250 I ever spent. I spoke to the doctor beforehand and explained what I wanted, that I didnt want too much just wanted to take the edge off. He did exactly what I asked and its made such a difference to that area of my face which had become quite droopy, hollow and made me look very tired all the time.

Not going to lie, the procedure was a little bit painful, bearable but could definitely feel it as its such a sensitive area. I could actually feel the filler going in which was a strange sensation.
    It was done within 15 minutes and I left with no bruising or redness. The area was slightly tender but only when I pressed on it, which I shouldnt have been doing anyway. It is still a little tender around my inside eye sockets but again, only when I put pressure on those areas.

The results look great in my opinion, the area around my eyes is now bright, my dark circles are reduced, I knew the area had gotten quite bad but only appreciated how bad after getting the fillers. Also, because of the placement, its slightly lifted my nasolabial area.
    I met a friend for lunch shortly after and went to my parents house, no one passed any comment or noticed that id had anything done which is what I wanted, I hate the 'done' look personally but each to their own. I notice and that's all that matters.
    I am delighted with them id just suggest to anyone who is thinking of getting fillers to only go to a trained medical doctor or dermatologist, ive seen salons offering tear through fillers and tbh it's such a dangerous and high risk area of the face to get fillers, if done wrong it can cut off nerves and veins causing blindless, I wouldnt trust anyone besides an actual doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Recliner wrote: »
    Any ideas??

Would you not just tip instead?

Would you not just tip instead?

I always tip anyway but she's expecting her first child also and it's the first time I've seen her since she told me.
    But I'll do as the other poster suggested and get her a voucher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I got my hair done this morning, my appointment wasn’t supposed to be until Saturday but my extensions were delivered early so I was able to come in today.

I didn’t realise how bad it was till it was done, it was in such a bad state. It’s only now that it’s noticeable how brassy my blonde had gone!
    I had a really pleasant few hours, was delighted to find no increase in price so I gave a nice tip. It feels so healthy and soft, I’m so happy it’s done.

Nails tomorrow & eyebrows Friday, can’t wait now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Minier81

I got my eyebrows shaped this morning, I love them!!!

Speaking of tips, are people planning on tipping extra to make up for missed time? I probably will, I mean I saved a lot of money from getting nothing done the last few months, a bigger tip feels like the decent thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Speaking of tips, are people planning on tipping extra to make up for missed time? I probably will, I mean I saved a lot of money from getting nothing done the last few months, a bigger tip feels like the decent thing to do.

I'm planning on tipping €20 on my €80 bill for nails and waxing as I'll be using a voucher I bought while they were shut to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I'll tip as usual but i was wondering about bringing some treats like multipacks of bars and sweets as they'll possibly have longer hours and may need a pick-me up through out the day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I bit the bullet and made an appointment for tear through fillers, I was very lucky, they had a cancelation the same day so I just got an appointment. Normally this clinic is booked out for months.

So I got the fillers about 5 days ago and all I can say is, best 250 I ever spent. I spoke to the doctor beforehand and explained what I wanted, that I didnt want too much just wanted to take the edge off. He did exactly what I asked and its made such a difference to that area of my face which had become quite droopy, hollow and made me look very tired all the time.

Not going to lie, the procedure was a little bit painful, bearable but could definitely feel it as its such a sensitive area. I could actually feel the filler going in which was a strange sensation.
    It was done within 15 minutes and I left with no bruising or redness. The area was slightly tender but only when I pressed on it, which I shouldnt have been doing anyway. It is still a little tender around my inside eye sockets but again, only when I put pressure on those areas.

The results look great in my opinion, the area around my eyes is now bright, my dark circles are reduced, I knew the area had gotten quite bad but only appreciated how bad after getting the fillers. Also, because of the placement, its slightly lifted my nasolabial area.
    I met a friend for lunch shortly after and went to my parents house, no one passed any comment or noticed that id had anything done which is what I wanted, I hate the 'done' look personally but each to their own. I notice and that's all that matters.
    I am delighted with them id just suggest to anyone who is thinking of getting fillers to only go to a trained medical doctor or dermatologist, ive seen salons offering tear through fillers and tbh it's such a dangerous and high risk area of the face to get fillers, if done wrong it can cut off nerves and veins causing blindless, I wouldnt trust anyone besides an actual doctor.

JC I seriously admire your nerve! Honestly with the serious side effects of fillers in the tear trough I'd advise anyone to go to a plastic surgeon to get it done rather than a medical doctor and DEFINITELY not a dentist or nurse or anything below that. But an MD is better than something like the therapie clinic at least. The risk of blindness and necrosis is very real and the only way to mitigate it is to go to a surgeon and even then it's still a risk, not to mention the risk of infection - if you have any kind of sinus thng going on that you don't know about you're going to be in a lot of bother.

I'm really glad it went so well for you but man I wouldn't be able to risk blindness, a friend of mine was going to get it until going to a surgeon who went to great pains to point out that it was definitely a potential risk. Hearing that put me off even thinking about it!

JC I seriously admire your nerve! Honestly with the serious side effects of fillers in the tear trough I'd advise anyone to go to a plastic surgeon to get it done rather than a medical doctor and DEFINITELY not a dentist or nurse or anything below that. But an MD is better than something like the therapie clinic at least. The risk of blindness and necrosis is very real and the only way to mitigate it is to go to a surgeon and even then it's still a risk, not to mention the risk of infection - if you have any kind of sinus thng going on that you don't know about you're going to be in a lot of bother.

I'm really glad it went so well for you but man I wouldn't be able to risk blindness, a friend of mine was going to get it until going to a surgeon who went to great pains to point out that it was definitely a potential risk. Hearing that put me off even thinking about it!

Any cosmetic procedure has risks and fillers in any area can cause necrosis and infection. The chances of that happening after having the procedure done by a professional are very small. Most of the time complications arise when people go to someone whose not properly trained and uses a wrong type of filler/low grade filler or places the filler in the wrong area.
    The doctor I went to is very experienced and I knew I was in safe hands.

Any cosmetic procedure has risks and fillers in any area can cause necrosis and infection. The chances of that happening after having the procedure done by a professional are very small. Most of the time complications arise when people go to someone whose not properly trained and uses a wrong type of filler/low grade filler or places the filler in the wrong area.
    The doctor I went to is very experienced and I knew I was in safe hands.

Ah I know, I was just saying with the tear trough even a surgeon will tell you it's still a risk. Everyone's anatomy and they just have to fill one vessel for it to happen.

ASIDE from that, I always think those fillers look great in that area so I'm glad you like them and had no issues. I'm just really giving info for anyone else looking at doing it to weigh up.

• Advertisement

Ah I know, I was just saying with the tear trough even a surgeon will tell you it's still a risk. Everyone's anatomy and they just have to fill one vessel for it to happen.

ASIDE from that, I always think those fillers look great in that area so I'm glad you like them and had no issues. I'm just really giving info for anyone else looking at doing it to weigh up.

Absolutely, saying that, they dont even go near your eye, theyre basically in my cheek, I suppose thats the importance of doing your research and going to someone whose medically trained instead of a salon and having an esthetician, nurse or dentist inject you with anything, its so important to get placement right. If the filler had been placed much higher or not deep enough or too deep, no doubt id have been at a risk for complications.
    It so important to make sure youre seeing someone who knows what theyre doing.
    The doctor I went to is a gp but also a dermatologist who has been doing fillers for years so I didnt feel like I was taking too much of a risk, id never dream of going to just anyone to get it done.

fed_u wrote: »
    I'll tip as usual but i was wondering about bringing some treats like multipacks of bars and sweets as they'll possibly have longer hours and may need a pick-me up through out the day..

I don't think shared treats are a good idea, they are advising against that sort of thing in an office setting. I'm sure they will love the tip though!

fed_u wrote: »

I don't think shared treats are a good idea, they are advising against that sort of thing in an office setting. I'm sure they will love the tip though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Minier81 wrote: »
    I'd imagine a multipack of bars should be ok as they are individually wrapped. But I do think hairdressers and beauticians would really appreciate a tip as most of them have been on the basic covid payment for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'd imagine a multipack of bars should be ok as they are individually wrapped. But I do think hairdressers and beauticians would really appreciate a tip as most of them have been on the basic covid payment for months.

Just got my hair done today- I am a new woman!! All done up and nowhere to go!

Anyway, my hairdresser was saying this to me earlier, that their ability to even make tips is reduced now because they can only have a certain number of clients in the salon at one time and only a certain amount of hairdressers can be in too, so she is doing less days but longer hours in the day, and not even getting the same amount of clients. I just gave her a larger tip.

If anyone is wondering about Peter Marks extra charges, I got my normal colour done all over and wasn't charged anything extra as I'd normally get it through to the ends every second round anyways. So I definitely think it doesn't apply to everyone.

I’ve that many foils in my hair right now I reckon if I stood up I’d topple over.
    Never been happier!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I’ve that many foils in my hair right now I reckon if I stood up I’d topple over.
    Never been happier!

Yay! Great feeling!

I'm done and dusted and I'm so happy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Just got my hair done today- I am a new woman!! All done up and nowhere to go!

Anyway, my hairdresser was saying this to me earlier, that their ability to even make tips is reduced now because they can only have a certain number of clients in the salon at one time and only a certain amount of hairdressers can be in too, so she is doing less days but longer hours in the day, and not even getting the same amount of clients. I just gave her a larger tip.

Same here.

My hairdresser will be working three days, to allow for others to get their days in too.

• Advertisement

Yay! Great feeling!

I'm done and dusted and I'm so happy.

The best part is my fella had a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge when I got home to “celebrate you not going on about your hair anymore”. It was a good day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yipee I feel like a new woman!!!

I always like getting my hair done but today is best yet apart from whole weird new experience in hairdressers.

The best part is my fella had a bottle of Prosecco in the fridge when I got home to “celebrate you not going on about your hair anymore”. It was a good day :D

Definitely a keeper! :D

Finally got my nails done today, check out how talented my girl is!! These are hand-painted, she is unreal! :)

That’s so cute!!!

My hairdresser finally rang today. Booked in 31st July

Pray for me

Funny thing is I already got a bit of a lift just from knowing when I’m in. I actually cannot wait.

Finally got my nails done today, check out how talented my girl is!! These are hand-painted, she is unreal! :)

Wowza...they are gorgeous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Nails and waxing done yesterday, hair today. I feel like myself again!

Anyone know when Benefit brow bar will be opening again? State of the eyebrows on me :D

Got the hair done this week. Roots (which were easily 2" long if not more), full head of highlights, wash, toner, cut and GHD curls. Took an hour longer than usual and no increase in price.
    I took on board what others had said here and left a very generous tip.
    Only thing I missed was my usual cuppa and nice biscuits, other than that it was a very pleasant experience.
    Swanned around the town after, I felt like a million dollars after it.

^^^ same, feel human again :pac:
    Fantastic experience, salon booked up but at less than half its old capacity. They were amazing, seemed to take every precaution very very seriously, very professional. Apart from the coffee etc only thing missing was some of the chats you'd have with other clients, stylists were obviously a little quieter, but seemed really happy to be back.

Any my nails. Finally. :)

Lot of excitement for me in one day though, should have spaced it out a bit. :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I got an appointment for the week after next, can't wait! :D

I'm going to buy a take away coffee on the way in, and something to nibble on while I wait to 'develop', if that's allowed! And I'll bring a book, and maybe a trashy magazine, to keep me occupied- to make it all feel as normal as possible.

For those that have been in already, could you still tip/pay in cash?

Foweva Awone, those nails are incredible!! Wow. :eek:

• Advertisement

For some reason I generally pay with card but tip with cash, I feel like they're more likely to get the full tip if it's cash. Not even sure of my logic there :D

I was at the hairdressers today, paid with card tipped with cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Posy wrote: »
    I got an appointment for the week after next, can't wait! :D

I'm going to buy a take away coffee on the way in, and something to nibble on while I wait to 'develop', if that's allowed! And I'll bring a book, and maybe a trashy magazine, to keep me occupied- to make it all feel as normal as possible.

For those that have been in already, could you still tip/pay in cash?

Foweva Awone, those nails are incredible!! Wow. :eek:

Check with the salon, but a lot of places aren’t allowing food or drink in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Hair appointment for next Saturday and I can not wait, I was told I can bring my own drink which I do anyway and own books/magazines. I’m not sure if there is a price increase but I’ll definitely be leaving a tip :)

^Those nails are beautiful and she is talented :)

I got my cut and colour done today. I was able to have my own drink, and brought a book with me. I've never been so happy to get my hair done!! :) Feel like a million dollars now!!

There were no extra charges, although I did dye it myself a few weeks ago. It's a small local place I go to, I think it's the bigger places that are charging extra. I gave her a bigger tip than usual.

By the way, I booked in for my next appointment in 6 weeks and she was already almost fully booked up right until then!! So keep that in mind, it's worth booking well in advance for future appointments.

Thanks for the nice comments about the nails by the way, I get them done by Adina in Dublin Hairdressers on Berkeley Rd. She's so good, super professional and very reasonable prices too!

Yeah the receptionist asked me if I wanted to make an appointment for six weeks time as I was heading to leave because they’re booked up for the next month at least. I usually get a toner and cut every six weeks but I’m so bright blonde now I’ll def need a colour top up in six weeks so I booked in for the full works again for then. I was thankful she mentioned it because I’d usually just ring up the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

I went blonde just before lockdown. Big mistake as I now have a line of brown roots about 3 inches long. However I have my appointment for 3 weeks time and I think I'm going to keep up the blonde look. Hoping there won't be a second wave as I don't think I could cope looking at roots again!! On the plus side, I've had to learn how to wax myself and that's been a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I went blonde just before lockdown. Big mistake as I now have a line of brown roots about 3 inches long. However I have my appointment for 3 weeks time and I think I'm going to keep up the blonde look. Hoping there won't be a second wave as I don't think I could cope looking at roots again!! On the plus side, I've had to learn how to wax myself and that's been a success.

Maybe get them to do a dragged/blended root so if something happens again at least the root line wont be so hard? Also its a lower maintenance style for your own sake anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I love how this thread has completely died down now that everyone has their hair done :D (no pun intended!).

I'm still waiting - I'm booked in on the 17th for a full head and cut. My salon is still saying they're not doing blow dries, which doesn't seem to be the case in Ireland that I've heard of?

Either way, I'm SO EXCITED! After about the 12 week mark, I just gave up caring about my roots, because everyone was in the same boat. I'll be like a new person once they're done!

(@ retro - I told my husband about your fella having the Prosecco in the fridge as a solid hint!)

Hi Faith, the no blow dry does seem unusual,mine was blowdry as usual.
    I agree with you about the hair, I wore my bad hair with pride, felt like an act of solidarity:-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement