Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaphar Dog Calming Spot On (Aldi)

Options
  • 24-10-2020 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

Our beloved hounds nerves have gotten progressively worse over the years and last Halloween was the final straw. I saw the above product in Aldi this week and just wondered what (if any) are peoples experiences on it?

I was a bit surprised to read that the effects last for a number of days. I was thinking for something that would get her through the night without any distress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Our beloved hounds nerves have gotten progressively worse over the years and last Halloween was the final straw. I saw the above product in Aldi this week and just wondered what (if any) are peoples experiences on it?

I was a bit surprised to read that the effects last for a number of days. I was thinking for something that would get her through the night without any distress.

We are having awful hassle in our area with fireworks (since the last week of September) so we bought it. Put on dogs this morning so I'll report back, no doubt we will have fireworks again this evening....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We are having awful hassle in our area with fireworks (since the last week of September) so we bought it. Put on dogs this morning so I'll report back, no doubt we will have fireworks again this evening....

I hope it works.

Do you mind me asking what age your dog is? Ours is a 9 year old lab x.

I use the pet version of rescue remedy, and it works very well. I order it from Amazon, though its probably a bit late for this year.

I haven't seen anywhere selling it over the counter in Ireland but maybe someone knows if its available here.

I hope it works.

Do you mind me asking what age your dog is? Ours is a 9 year old lab x.

I've a 7 year old sheepdog and a 7 year old labrador.... I'd try anything at this stage, they get so distressed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I use the pet version of rescue remedy, and it works very well. I order it from Amazon, though its probably a bit late for this year.

I haven't seen anywhere selling it over the counter in Ireland but maybe someone knows if its available here.

Also valerian. Try a health food store. Maybe check online to see re using the ordinary recue remedy in lesser amounts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

i would be wary of anything from Aldi for my dog as far as medications are concerned go to the vet

Sooo we've had the usual asshats setting off fireworks. The dogs came to the back door and pawed at it to be let in but were much less distressed than they have been. No shaking and whimpering and once inside the house they settled almost immediately. Prior to this we've been dealing with howling, whimpering and whinging even when they are in the house with a radio on to drown out the noise. Tonight both dogs are curled up asleep on the kitchen floor. Absolute game changer.

i would be wary of anything from Aldi for my dog as far as medications are concerned go to the vet

I certainly wouldn't give my dogs anything without doing research, but not just because it was from Aldi. This particular profuct is made by Beaphar, a recognised pet brand, my own vet actually stock their products. The product itself is just a branded version of Valerian which is a known natural remedy for dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I saw a post where someone put the dogs in the bath with a duvet and some music. They didn't have a window in their bathroom though.

Mine had his first Halloween without his sister last year, and found out he was scared of fireworks when she's not hear but being a Jack Russell he tries to get outside to kill them. It sounds ok but it's as bad for his stress, he doesn't sleep for.a few days and sheds like.mad. and this year is awful here as for everyone. I'm gonna try the bath thing on the actual night and we've a new pup so hopefully that'll help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It’s just valerian - the same as eg Pet Remedy, Dorwest and many other brands of calming product

• Advertisement

Sooo we've had the usual asshats setting off fireworks. The dogs came to the back door and pawed at it to be let in but were much less distressed than they have been. No shaking and whimpering and once inside the house they settled almost immediately. Prior to this we've been dealing with howling, whimpering and whinging even when they are in the house with a radio on to drown out the noise. Tonight both dogs are curled up asleep on the kitchen floor. Absolute game changer.

Thanks for update HQ! Glad to hear the dogs were relaxed rather than trembling with fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tangleytuftles

If you need something stronger than rescue remedy but don't want something so strong that your dog isn't there, I'd try Zylkene.
    Its relatively unknown med but its over the counter, a euro per tablet and has zero side effects. It really helped me with training my dog to be accustomed to fireworks last year. They basically get some milk and hydrolyse it(where they break down the proteins to get rid of allergens) and they separate specific strands in the milk that work by binding the brain activity to calm them. It basically works by minimising the flight or fight response but they're otherwise active and alert. Last year my dog was alert and awake so I could use it to minimise response but since he was actually with me, I could use it to desensitise him. By halloween he didn't need any.
    It took one day to adjust to the fireworks this year but he just ignores them now.

Its relatively unknown med but its over the counter, a euro per tablet and has zero side effects..

It’s out years and years and gave my dog explosive poo any time I tried it(!) so I’d disagree on the side effects.

We gave it to her this morning anyway so hopefully it will keep her calm.

We gave it to her this morning anyway so hopefully it will keep her calm.

If you have a bandana or something to tie around her neck you can put a few drops on it too. I put it on Bailey’s bedding and even dot along his legs when he’s lying down. We had a bad evening yesterday- I’m dreading tonight :(:(

tk123 wrote: »
    If you have a bandana or something to tie around her neck you can put a few drops on it too. I put it on Bailey’s bedding and even dot along his legs when he’s lying down. We had a bad evening yesterday- I’m dreading tonight :(:(

Thankfully we're out the country.. The weather is **** too which might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thankfully we're out the country.. The weather is **** too which might help.

Hoping so and thinking of you all. And maybe after tonight After the way my old collie was with it, I do sympathise.

Advertisement