Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Separation agreement?

Options
  • 04-09-2020 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My ex-husband and I (both male) had a very short lived unhappy marriage of about a year. Things aren't exactly amicable and we're not on speaking terms. There is no property, joint assets or kids. And neither of us live at the rented accomodation we shared I would like to protect my savings (about 40k) and I'm sure he would like to protect his property which is abroad. I intend to use the savings as a deposit to buy my own place. And in terms of mortgage etc I need to show there is a seperation agreement. I have been quoted almost €4000 for what should be a simple enough agreement. I was wondering has anyone ever done a simple DIY agreement? Or are judicial separations necessary? I'm not pleased with the idea of spending more money again on a divorce in a few years. He's currently in receipt of a covid-19 payment so would be entitled to free legal aid and I could end up paying loads of money because we're arguing over nothing. We're on a list for free mediation from LAB but there's a waiting list on that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jbryc04

Hi - I done my legal separation with www.lawonline.ie. it cost about €400 with solicitor available online to check forms and questions. You answer questions and it pre-fills in the separation agreement. I paid for it and posted forms to him to sign in England he got his solicitor to sign then I got mine signed and it was all done. we had no assets and money was already halved we have a daughter but agreed on maintenance and custody before hand - I am going onto do my divorce with them soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

How do you qualify free legal assistance with 40k and your husband owning a property abroad?

For peace of mind, I'd be looking to resolve as soon as possible, and if that meant spending some of my savings I'd go for it.

You only live once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pick_Up

Anyone can apply to LAB's mediation service. He is in receipt of a covid payment so can get legal aid. And I would think his property isn't worth over 50k and I'm not sure if it's in his name even. I think I might just spend the money but it sounds a bit ridiculous to me considering how little work the solicitor will have to do. I said it to a friend in the US and he was shocked.

Advertisement