Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troubleshooting and replacement parts

Options
  • 08-09-2019 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Gaming one day, all of a sudden everything goes black. Smell of burning. PC is 4 years old and has been put through heavy gaming use.

Built July 2015 (parts mostly from Hardwareversand before it went down)
    MB: ASRock Z97 Extreme3, Sockel 1150, ATX
    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 Box, LGA1150
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SuperClocked ACX 2.0, 4GB GDDR5
    RAM: 16GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600
    PSU: Thermaltake Berlin 630W
    Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black

Apologies for the long post, but here is what happened:
    1. PC would momentarily power on, fans would spin up, then immediately power off. Smell of burning within case.
    2. I changed power lead, tried taking each ram stick out (change slot, and without), all same outcome as part 1.
    3. Removed GPU, then the PC fired up (all fans running, operating a normal). Strong burning smell from inside GPU, so that's definitely fried. I plugged monitor into MB, but no display.
    4. Turned off PC, then took out the MB battery out for 1min to reset the BIOS, to send visual to MB output. Replaced the battery (the correct way).
    5. Tried to turn PC back on... and nothing. Not even a short spin of the fans, just completely dead. I tried a different power cable, and no luck.
    6. I did the paperclip test on the PSU (unplugging all connections beforehand) and the fan spun up. So its not the PSU.

I'm thinking the MB and GPU need to be replaced. Seems like I somehow killed the MB after taking out the battery. I would really appreciate some help on picking them as I don't want to get the wrong size/connection types. For both MB and GPU the budget is €500 (€50 higher if needed). No overclocking utility necessary. The PC will be running VR chat, Battlefield V, Mordhau etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.
    Kevin Cowley.

Comments

Advertisement