Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying land

• 20-09-2019 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

Hi lads just wanted to put this out and see what opinions are out there

Currently renting land for replacement heifers

No mortgage, no massive debts

There’s land a couple miles away from me for sale-severely neglected land, was rented for years and abused, some of the land is good but I’d say you’d turn it all to farmable once minded etc, also no water

Was thinking 5-5500/ac and a further 1500/ac spent on it to make it anyway viable, would take a few years before it would be getting to good production, Index 1 type land

Alternatively if I bought 12-14ac even if it was 12-15 miles away of top land and gave 10k/ac you’d have a better bet long term and should the need arise(if bounding land came up) could be sold again easier you’d imagine

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

simx wrote: »

There’s land a couple miles away from me for sale-severely neglected land, was rented for years and abused, some of the land is good but I’d say you’d turn it all to farmable once minded etc, also no water

Was thinking 5-5500/ac and a further 1500/ac spent on it to make it anyway viable, would take a few years before it would be getting to good production, Index 1 type land

Alternatively if I bought 12-14ac even if it was 12-15 miles away of top land and gave 10k/ac you’d have a better bet long term and should the need arise(if bounding land came up) could be sold again easier you’d imagine

Thanks in advance

Don't underestimate the time lost with an outside block. I have one 8 miles away and I have to cross a busy town to it. I would give sell it in a heart beat if a piece came to the market close to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Grueller wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the time lost with an outside block. I have one 8 miles away and I have to cross a busy town to it. I would give sell it in a heart beat if a piece came to the market close to me.

That’s true, it would be something to have if something did come up nearer in future also, might aswell be paying off something as paying for rent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

Thanks in advance
    I'd give anything to get land at 5 to 5.5k anywhere near me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

kk.man wrote: »
    I'd give anything to get land at 5 to 5.5k anywhere near me!

Ah no you wouldn't. You'd give 5 to 5.5k an acre for it or else what's the point? 🀔🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Grueller

That’s true, it would be something to have if something did come up nearer in future also, might aswell be paying off something as paying for rent

Absolutely agree. That's why I bought that place. It might break the back of a bit nearer if it ever came up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Up to 8k an acre , how many years with replacement heifers + labour to start making money? Can you give a break down?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

You might be better off waiting to see how Brexit works out first. Land might be cheaper next year. Its not as if that piece of land is convenient to you either.

lalababa wrote: »
    Up to 8k an acre , how many years with replacement heifers + labour to start making money? Can you give a break down?

It be more a case of an investment I suppose, I would rear replacements, if I were to break down pay back time for a lot of farm investments + labour I’d be one sad boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

There may be better ways to invest money. Unless the land is going to make you more efficient, increase profits or is adjoining the home block in not sure it's worth it. May get a better return elsewhere

Mooooo wrote: »
    There may be better ways to invest money. Unless the land is going to make you more efficient, increase profits or is adjoining the home block in not sure it's worth it. May get a better return elsewhere

It would set me with peice of mind owning it instead of renting, you’d put more into it if owned also, not that I abuse the land I rent I’d be quite a good tenent imo,I’m paying €200/ac for land x 20ac-€4000 x 15 yr- €60k..... €60k better paying for something you’d own at the end of the day, I get where you’re coming from, then also it would be something of an asset should something bounding be for sale in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

If you have cash and you really want land, then go for the near plot, and don't overpay. Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭older by the day

Grueller wrote: »

Thanks in advance

I agree, I have a one hour back breaking spin in a tractor and another he back. I only count the cattle every 3days. A neighbour sees them from her window the other two. Tis a balls, out side farms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

What's the story on tax if you ever sold this far away bit to buy a next door bit, there's no Swapping anymore I don't think I'm revenue's eyes, tax could put a damper on that idea maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It would set me with peice of mind owning it instead of renting, you’d put more into it if owned also, not that I abuse the land I rent I’d be quite a good tenent imo,I’m paying €200/ac for land x 20ac-€4000 x 15 yr- €60k..... €60k better paying for something you’d own at the end of the day, I get where you’re coming from, then also it would be something of an asset should something bounding be for sale in the future

€200/ac wouldn't even pay the interest on €10000/ac land, there'll be lots of good land coming for rent from now on, You only have to look around at all the old farmers around and family with no interest.
    If you're a good tenant you'll be left in it, and if you get sick of it (which you will) you can just walk away

Jb1989 wrote: »
    What's the story on tax if you ever sold this far away bit to buy a next door bit, there's no Swapping anymore I don't think I'm revenue's eyes, tax could put a damper on that idea maybe.

That’s true I have to talk to my accountant before anything will happen anyway and give him scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

wrangler wrote:
    €200/ac wouldn't even pay the interest on €10000/ac land, there'll be lots of good land coming for rent from now on, You only have to look around at all the old farmers around and family with no interest. If you're a good tenant you'll be left in it, and if you get sick of it (which you will) you can just walk away

where does the money really come from to buy land ,
    as we know the farm can hardly pay the intetest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

That’s true I have to talk to my accountant before anything will happen anyway and give him scenarios

I think there is some deal there if you sell land land that away from main holding to buy land closer of same value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

kerry cow wrote: »
    where does the money really come from to buy land ,
    as we know the farm can hardly pay the intetest

The money comes from slavery to buy land ,working long hours ,often 15 hours plus per day,probably driving around in a ****ty van with no tax!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

cute geoge wrote: »
    The money comes from slavery to buy land ,working long hours ,often 15 hours plus per day,probably driving around in a ****ty van with no tax!!!!

And there's no tax concession for buying land either, it has to be paid for out of profits after tax, I don't know how anyone does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

wrangler wrote: »
    And there's no tax concession for buying land either, it has to be paid for out of profits after tax, I don't know how anyone does it.

Really important point hence most land that’s being borrowed for is bought through a Ltd Co.

• Advertisement

Really important point hence most land that’s being borrowed for is bought through a Ltd Co.

Any advantage in that????
    I know interest can be put against tax anyways but what about capital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

6% stamp duty also for leo.

Any advantage in that????
    I know interest can be put against tax anyways but what about capital

Capital payments are profit so taxed as such in corporation tax rate is a fraction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Capital payments are profit so taxed as such in corporation tax rate is a fraction

I'm not sure I understand exactly

It was my understanding that if you but land as a private farmer/sole trader then you could treat the interest payments only as a business expense and put them against profits (if any) thus making it beneficial by reducing your tax bill

however repayments on the principal of the lean were no deductible hence it wasnt very attractive to borrow to buy land at least coming at it from that angle

are you saying that all loan repayments can be treated as capital expenditure if land is purchased via a limited company set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I presume he means the tax on profit on the ltd company is less than the tax on profit as a sole trader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭jaymla627

C0N0R wrote: »
    I presume he means the tax on profit on the ltd company is less than the tax on profit as a sole trader?

13.5% Ltd company versus 40% plus at higher rate as sole trader, getting land out of a company isn’t simple though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

amacca wrote: »

It was my understanding that if you but land as a private farmer/sole trader then you could treat the interest payments only as a business expense and put them against profits (if any) thus making it beneficial by reducing your tax bill

however repayments on the principal of the lean were no deductible hence it wasnt very attractive to borrow to buy land at least coming at it from that angle

are you saying that all loan repayments can be treated as capital expenditure if land is purchased via a limited company set up?

No profit of Ltd company are taxed at 13.5, whereas soletrader/ private individuals it's whatever the marginal rate is. The other issue with land loan also is it starts out 50/ 50 principal/ interest but the interest portion decreases as time goes on so as the loan is coming near it's end tax liabilities increase.
    As jay said there the issue with a company structure is getting the land out of it again

I’m not saying that st all. The capital element is the taxable amount is taxable at the corporation rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Wouldn't there be issues on transferring the land as part of a company? Like agricultural reliefs wouldn't be applicable on transfers of a company holding land?

• Advertisement

C0N0R wrote: »

yes that makes sense all right it was the tax on capital payments bit had me confused......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Your accountant should be first port of call.

I’m not saying that st all. The capital element is the taxable amount is taxable at the corporation rate

sorry for extreme lack of understanding here, I know I'm probably a moron for not figuring it out at this stage but ..... by capital do you mean principal of the loan

or is it the company's capital invested in buying the land that is taxed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

jaymla627 wrote: »
    13.5% Ltd company versus 40% plus at higher rate as sole trader, getting land out of a company isn’t simple though

What lads forget is any profits made belong to the company and not you. You’ll probably only be an employee, so you’ll have to pay the same taxes as if your self employed. You’ll also be talking about company having to pay employer taxes and a higher accountancy fees for company accounts. Then you’ve the problems of getting money out of land is ever sold.

sorry for extreme lack of understanding here, I know I'm probably a moron for not figuring it out at this stage but ..... by capital do you mean principal of the loan

or is it the company's capital invested in buying the land that is taxed?

The loan repayments consist of interest and capital repayments. The part of the repayments that are interest are an expense that's taken from taxable income. The part that are paying off the principle are not considered an expense and must be paid after tax.

mf240 wrote: »
    The part that are paying off the principle are not considered an expense and must be paid after tax.

but if you are a profitable company then you will have more money (capital) to pay off the loan as this capital comes from profits which were taxed at a lower corporate rate?

am i getting it now?

• Advertisement

but if you are a profitable company then you will have more money (capital) to pay off the loan as this capital comes from profits which were taxed at a lower corporate rate?

am i getting it now?

Yes that's it I think. But it's one for your accountant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I think lads ye re getting all con fused with the ltd company.my impression is poster is doing away nicely and is just wondering should they buy a.bit.of land
    First thing id ask is have you 30 to 40 %of the money to hand.if you have are you happy with whay its.making for you already.thirdly is it a good investment, in general provided it close enough id say yes

K.G. wrote: »
    I think lads ye re getting all con fused with the ltd company.my impression is poster is doing away nicely and is just wondering should they buy a.bit.of land
    First thing id ask is have you 30 to 40 %of the money to hand.if you have are you happy with whay its.making for you already.thirdly is it a good investment, in general provided it close enough id say yes

Have roughly 25% of money there and it’s making nothing in savings account tbh,still think I’d get money for full amount and keep a bit trickling into savings account for a rainy day etc... will probably have college fees in future but not for a while still, it’s close enough (2 ish miles)but am now wondering would I be better off going a bit further and buy some top land if possible and would be a better bet, if wanted to sell would be easier sell you’d imagine and prob better thrive in cattle etc., also drawing silage 8-10 miles isn’t unknown these, and if wet spring could draw slurry there if was stuck to get out at home (heavier type land)- same type land as I was looking at..... heavy land imo is always land you have to mind well or it’ll go bad fast whereas good land is always good land to a degree.....

The old saying was that land you could go into on Christmas was always worth buying,I used to be with a contractor back in the day and you would clearly see the difference between different types of land .Even land that would be perceived to be good land by everyone might in some cases be only heavyish land but well minded in the right hands.It is hard enough to buy good land but the only one bidding against you for heavy land might be the auctioneer .I see up the country great demand for good land ,last sales around here were up to €16k/acre

The old saying was that land you could go into on Christmas was always worth buying,I used to be with a contractor back in the day and you would clearly see the difference between different types of land .Even land that would be perceived to be good land by everyone might in some cases be only heavyish land but well minded in the right hands.It is hard enough to buy good land but the only one bidding against you for heavy land might be the auctioneer .I see up the country great demand for good land ,last sales around here were up to €16k/acre

Walked the land again yesterday with a friend to get an opinion, came to conclusion that if bought for 5k/ac def be 2200-2500/ac spent on it, also must be an acre of waste on it that can’t be forgotten either, the first year would be wrote off fixing up the place and then following years trying to build p&ks/ph levels etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

You seem to be in good financial position so personally speaking what I would do is hold off, keep saving and get a decent block nearby your home.
    You're in a great final position and as is said with Brexit you might find cheap ground next year.
    Far away blocks can be a pain, especially if it is your main block.

However, in saying that there not making land any more and if you see something you like to for it. You have to look long term when buying ground.

Being a complete bastard about it, you could rent some decent ground of some old boy and when they go to sell you'll be the sitting tenant with first dibs (at least that's the way it works where I am).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Walked the land again yesterday with a friend to get an opinion, came to conclusion that if bought for 5k/ac def be 2200-2500/ac spent on it, also must be an acre of waste on it that can’t be forgotten either, the first year would be wrote off fixing up the place and then following years trying to build p&ks/ph levels etc
    Have you checked to see if there are any grants available which you could avail of?

You seem to be in good financial position so personally speaking what I would do is hold off, keep saving and get a decent block nearby your home.
    You're in a great final position and as is said with Brexit you might find cheap ground next year.
    Far away blocks can be a pain, especially if it is your main block.

However, in saying that there not making land any more and if you see something you like to for it. You have to look long term when buying ground.

Being a complete bastard about it, you could rent some decent ground of some old boy and when they go to sell you'll be the sitting tenant with first dibs (at least that's the way it works where I am).

To get top quality land I’d have to leave the parish be 3/4 miles+ but would be good stuff that could get heifers out earlier, if Stuck spread slurry etc. I know there’s more time wasted with out blocks but doesn’t look like land adjoining will be for sale anytime soon, good land is always good land the way I see it have enough marginal land at home, I asked a friend of mine with great land about 8 miles away could he travel it Xmas day if he wanted, he said it could probably rain 2 inches Xmas eve and still go out the next day, sorry in a way I asked :). Like you said buying land isn’t a spur of the moment decision so has to be thought about in detail, yeah that renting thing is the way around here too :p

Advertisement