Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-01-2019, 00:32   #1876
montgo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 524
I want to confirm some of Edmond's details - his surname DORNEY? his profession POSTMAN? his father's name BENJAMIN?? on the last marriage record #190 here. Thanks.
montgo is offline  
Advertisement
13-01-2019, 00:51   #1877
New Home
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 53,404
I think it could be Kearney or even Harney, rather than Dorney. As for the rest, I agree that it looks like post-man and Benjamin.
New Home is offline  
13-01-2019, 01:48   #1878
montgo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 524
Thanks New Home. I've now found Edmond's birth record and I can confirm that he was son of Benjamin Dorney and he was a postman on the 1901 census.
montgo is offline  
Thanks from:
16-01-2019, 22:37   #1879
SophieLockhart
Registered User
 
SophieLockhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 53
Here's a page of deaths from the Blackrock area of Dublin:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....29/4229491.pdf

But the actual Registrar's district is very unclear, it looks to be typed rather than transcribed. Any ideas please?

Edit, I think it's Blackhall rather than Blackrock, and most of them seem to be in St Laurence? hospital

Last edited by SophieLockhart; 16-01-2019 at 22:43.
SophieLockhart is offline  
Thanks from:
16-01-2019, 23:04   #1880
spurious
Category Moderator
 
spurious's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLockhart View Post
Here's a page of deaths from the Blackrock area of Dublin:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....29/4229491.pdf

But the actual Registrar's district is very unclear, it looks to be typed rather than transcribed. Any ideas please?

Edit, I think it's Blackhall rather than Blackrock, and most of them seem to be in St Laurence? hospital
St. Laurence's comprised the Richmond, Whitworth and Hardwick hospitals (from what I can see online).
It was where the old Richmond Hospital was (building still is) on North Brunswick Street.

Looks like the district is Dublin North (city) No. 2 (?)

Last edited by spurious; 16-01-2019 at 23:12.
spurious is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2019, 23:19   #1881
SophieLockhart
Registered User
 
SophieLockhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 53
Ah so it is the North side, thanks indeed!
SophieLockhart is offline  
16-01-2019, 23:52   #1882
Deja Boo
Registered User
 
Deja Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,469
Is it a 2 or 3 in Dublin North?

The page before and after it...
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....29/4229490.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....29/4229492.pdf

It isn't until you get back to January, page 295 is the district 3 handwritten... most in same hospital.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....29/4229478.pdf
Deja Boo is offline  
17-01-2019, 07:32   #1883
spurious
Category Moderator
 
spurious's Avatar
Much clearer on the handwritten one, yes, 3.
spurious is offline  
Thanks from:
18-01-2019, 19:55   #1884
Tombom1
Registered User
 
Tombom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 34
House book transciption help please.

Please I need help to transcribe a house book record here http://census.nationalarchives.ie/re...0632_00861.pdf

so far I have got:

Houses in the townland of Brierfield

Thomas Healy/Whaley? £5.00
House add for attic?
Barn ____
___ Stable and Cowhouse
Exempt Land ___ Committing? of build __ pa____ offer/office
The situation of the house may be considered the same on that __ ____
last and ___ ___ known? many? they? __ here?
of ____
Land? deducted from the whole settle? at 1/3 off

Coffey was the Valuator(third last line)

It mentions something about land what do you think it means? The land was occupied by healys in 1833 (48 acres) and I have another record stating the last lease given in the townland was in 1830 and healy is still occuping the land in 1845 and has the lease(from 1830) but in the griffiths valuation dated 1845 another man thomas davis was in the townland as owner and sole occupier.The prior landlord in 1845 was John Cruise.Would there be a record of this land transfer and what happened to the tenants?could the new landlord break the lease or did it run out?

So maybe they couldnt pay for a new lease? in 1845? I am a bit reluctant to believe this as our family wasnt that poor around those times we also had a similar house with the same dimensions valued 4 pounds at this time ,there are storys we even had subtenant or two one time(probably long before 1845 though) we also had 48 acres in 1845.We were catholic farmers but this was around famine times and maybe bad luck the lease ran out in 1845?
In 1852 we have the right to vote as we have 12 pounds of property valuation but there is no healy from brierfield mentioned in this voting record even though there house is worth 5 pounds and they had good land so Im guessing they had left/evicted.

I have been able to find a healy who is descendant of these and her healy went to america roughly around 1860 she believes.I havent been able to pinpoint the relation so its either 3rd once removed or fourth cousin once removed.

The reason this information is important because there was a story passed down that three healy brothers were split land between them and I think this family is the key to solving that mystery.Our house was built in 1759. we came around the mid to early 1700s to the area.

I have a this healy line with passed down knowledge/graves to a healy in born 1690-1770.

The extra information may not be relevant but I cant make out what the record mentions about land .Thanks to anyone who took time to look at it.

Last edited by pinkypinky; 18-01-2019 at 20:51. Reason: Merged to handwriting thread
Tombom1 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-01-2019, 06:55   #1885
Deja Boo
Registered User
 
Deja Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombom1 View Post
Please I need help to transcribe a house book record here http://census.nationalarchives.ie/re...0632_00861.pdf

so far I have got:

Houses in the townland of Brierfield

Thomas Healy/Whaley? £5.00
House add for attic?
Barn ____
___ Stable and Cowhouse
Exempt Land ___ Committing? of build __ pa____ offer/office
The situation of the house may be considered the same on that __ ____
last and ___ ___ known? many? they? __ here?
of ____
Land? deducted from the whole settle? at 1/3 off

Coffey was the Valuator(third last line)

It mentions something about land what do you think it means? The land was occupied by healys in 1833 (48 acres) and I have another record stating the last lease given in the townland was in 1830 and healy is still occuping the land in 1845 and has the lease(from 1830) but in the griffiths valuation dated 1845 another man thomas davis was in the townland as owner and sole occupier.The prior landlord in 1845 was John Cruise.Would there be a record of this land transfer and what happened to the tenants?could the new landlord break the lease or did it run out?

So maybe they couldnt pay for a new lease? in 1845? I am a bit reluctant to believe this as our family wasnt that poor around those times we also had a similar house with the same dimensions valued 4 pounds at this time ,there are storys we even had subtenant or two one time(probably long before 1845 though) we also had 48 acres in 1845.We were catholic farmers but this was around famine times and maybe bad luck the lease ran out in 1845?
In 1852 we have the right to vote as we have 12 pounds of property valuation but there is no healy from brierfield mentioned in this voting record even though there house is worth 5 pounds and they had good land so Im guessing they had left/evicted.

I have been able to find a healy who is descendant of these and her healy went to america roughly around 1860 she believes.I havent been able to pinpoint the relation so its either 3rd once removed or fourth cousin once removed.

The reason this information is important because there was a story passed down that three healy brothers were split land between them and I think this family is the key to solving that mystery.Our house was built in 1759. we came around the mid to early 1700s to the area.

I have a this healy line with passed down knowledge/graves to a healy in born 1690-1770.

The extra information may not be relevant but I cant make out what the record mentions about land .Thanks to anyone who took time to look at it.
Land? I didn't notice the reference, but I am new to genealogy and am not as familiar with the census as I should be.

Comparing Mr Coffey's data with his other pages, this is what I came up with, but I am only guestimating. Interestingly, there is a John Healy on the census'es next page (but you probably already knew that )

Sorry for the disconnected format of the data, it's the best I could came up with late at night.
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot.png (86.4 KB, 15 views)
Deja Boo is offline  
Thanks from:
19-01-2019, 10:42   #1886
Tombom1
Registered User
 
Tombom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Boo View Post
Land? I didn't notice the reference, but I am new to genealogy and am not as familiar with the census as I should be.

Comparing Mr Coffey's data with his other pages, this is what I came up with, but I am only guestimating. Interestingly, there is a John Healy on the census'es next page (but you probably already knew that )

Sorry for the disconnected format of the data, it's the best I could came up with late at night.
Thanks so much, I didnt even know sundries was a word so I guess its better to ask than to coming to conclusions about land

So I guess its a trip to the estate records if i want to solve it.
John Healy was Thomas's either 1st or 2 nd cousin , I havent quite figured it out yet through dna.
The similar build of the two house has me interested as ours was built in 1759.

Would you say I could find the land transfer in the irishdeeds index?
Tombom1 is offline  
08-02-2019, 14:28   #1887
SophieLockhart
Registered User
 
SophieLockhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 53
I have two questions if you don't mind -

On this entry the 'husband' is circled. Does this mean the registrar doubts if he actually was the husband? And in fact I can't find a marriage record for the two names in question.



And here we have 'medical attendant' deceased. Does this refer to the actual medical attendant and is it unusual to include that piece of info?



Thanks.
SophieLockhart is offline  
08-02-2019, 15:03   #1888
pinkypinky
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,599
Can you please link to the whole page?
pinkypinky is offline  
08-02-2019, 19:53   #1889
SophieLockhart
Registered User
 
SophieLockhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 53
It's not a 'decipher' question so linking to the full page won't make any difference? (I presume the images are visible).
SophieLockhart is offline  
08-02-2019, 20:01   #1890
New Home
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 53,404
It may make a difference as other things may provide clues.
New Home is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet