Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indoor satellite receiver 'dish'?

• 05-03-2019 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Does such a thing exist? I found some receivers online that you spread across a wall indoors, but I am unsure if they are actually for satellite stations.

Hoping to pick up UK terrestrial TV if possible.

- Renting and I think building rules also prohibit fitting anything outdoors.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

satellite dishes must have a clear view of the sky. It is possible to get discreet dishes for balconies. Some get away with a dish on the ground pointing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Walls and modern double glazing stop satellite signals dead. But anyway a dish will not pick up UK or any other terrestrial TV. You need an aerial for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

what are you on about? of course you get terrestrial UK TV on sat ...bbc's, itv's etc

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭thebond

I use tvmucho , very good service and cheap aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

what are you on about? of course you get terrestrial UK TV on sat ...bbc's, itv's etc

Terrestrial and Satellite are completely different systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jelutong wrote: »
    Terrestrial and Satellite are completely different systems.

I think the point is that the the main UK terrestrial channels are available free on satellite; BBC, ITV, C4, 5 etc

is that TVMucho service legal? There's a similar Irish service called iBox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think the point is that the the main UK terrestrial channels are available free on satellite; BBC, ITV, C4, 5 etc

No its illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭thebond

Deffo legal, they pay royalites on the content etc

steveon wrote: »
    No its illegal

iBox seems to be a spinoff from Homevision who provide Broadband/TV in some apartment complexes around Dublin. So similar to AerTV which is owned by Magnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

satellite dishes must have a clear view of the sky. It is possible to get discreet dishes for balconies. Some get away with a dish on the ground pointing up

Hi Gerry, thanks for the response, very interested in what you said about possibly getting away with some kind of discreet dish on the ground.

There is a balcony, but it is not directly beside behind the television. Please see the two pictures attached - TV is wall mounted above the black chest of drawers.

I rent, and there are restrictions on satellite dishes and I would assume also aerials (I will confirm this), so I am restricted on what I can put out there, and I would not really be able to go drilling, but some minor cable management along a skirting board, or hidden under the wood panel under the balcony door on the inside, which I could repair with polyfilla might be possible.

Maybe I could affix a discreent receiver to the decking with cable ties? I am guessing we would also need to get power out there, and the cable for the feed. This would have to be discreet, and I am guessing over in the left hand corner (where there is a window above the second panel from the left) would be a better place than directly in front of the door.
    loyatemu wrote: »

iBox website is down, is it normally online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

See your thread in terrestrial

iBox website is down, is it normally online?

it's working for me:
    http://www.ibox.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Hi Gerry, thanks for the response, very interested in what you said about possibly getting away with some kind of discreet dish on the ground.

There is a balcony, but it is not directly beside behind the television. Please see the two pictures attached - TV is wall mounted above the black chest of drawers.

I rent, and there are restrictions on satellite dishes and I would assume also aerials (I will confirm this), so I am restricted on what I can put out there, and I would not really be able to go drilling, but some minor cable management along a skirting board, or hidden under the wood panel under the balcony door on the inside, which I could repair with polyfilla might be possible.

Maybe I could affix a discreent receiver to the decking with cable ties? I am guessing we would also need to get power out there, and the cable for the feed. This would have to be discreet, and I am guessing over in the left hand corner (where there is a window above the second panel from the left) would be a better place than directly in front of the door.

The first thing you need to check is if a dish on the balcony can see the satellite.

Use https://www.dishpointer.com/ to get a good idea if it is viable, put in your street and adjust the pointer to your balcony location, set the measurement to 28.2E Astra2E/F/G.

Only if you can point a dish in the direction marked and there are no buildings in the way at approx 22 degrees angle.

If that all works out then there are various options available. You can get flat panel dishes

http://www.satworld.ie/satellite-dishes-and-lnbs/flat-satellite-dishes/

or hidden dishes installed in a large light fixture or even a regular dish hidden inside a box.

For cabling you need at least 1 coax cable from the dish, you can get flat cable lengths designed to go through windows without having to drill a hole.

http://www.satworld.ie/super-flat-satellite-cable-coupler.html

These are quite brittle and won't stand regular opening/closing of a window so best to use a window you won't be opening much.

No power lead is required for a basic dish, just the coax feed, if you want a recording box you need 2 cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

You can use a freestanding ground mount, weighed down and attach a dish to that.
    http://www.satworld.ie/non-penetrating-ground-mount-4x30x30.html

There are "discrete" dishes, but their performance is usually worse than a normal dish. Remember that you use tricks to keep the dish out of sight, given that the line of sight is higher than what you might expect e.g.

3551754632_61ebe538a1_o.jpg

or mount horizontal

3549518092_e41f3b5c92_o.jpg

Advertisement