Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Player Problems

• 03-02-2019 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I have always used the RTE player through my Android Box but since the new version launched in December what happens is that it opens normally and when I go to what I want to see I first get all the ads which play normally but when my choice starts to play it stops instantly.This is happening on both my Android boxes which are made by different manufacturers.
    Both are running Android 6
    Anyone else with this problem and is there a fix?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭johnnylancer

Thanks for the response.
    So RTE are not admitting fault for Android 6 only for 5 and lower
    Something wrong here.
    Hopefully this does not end up like Saorview Connect and promising,promising but no action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Went into RTE Player, Viking Series on my Laptop. Last week, it worked fine, now it load's fine, straight into the adds...no problem. Ad's finish, and Viking screen shot loads, complete with "PLAY" arrow, Click on the arrow, and the ad's load again....and again......and again...and again. As I havd said, it worked fine last week, but not now. Anyone have any answer's to this problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Diajocon

jmreire wrote: »
    Anyone have any answer's to this problem??

Just made myself hoarse shouting at the phone having watched the same (perfectly working) ads, 3 times whilst trying to get back to the point where I was in 'Resistance' when it crashed.

If RTE thinks they have revamped it to appeal to appeal to the Netflix type audience they are seriously deluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Working fine again now....Only thing different that I did was to :
    Select:- "www.rte.ie"
    Then " Player"
    Then " Vikings" on search bar.
    BINGO !!!!! Off we go.

The last time I tried it and it failed, I had entered " www.rte.ie/player which brings you straight to the player.
    so maybe this was why it looped into the ads? Or maybe this had nothing to do with it, and some one fixed it? I don't really know, but it works fine now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

The updated version of the rte player is such a useless application. What a crock of rubbish

The stupid ads run without a hitch but the actual content skips and buffers on any device I use !!!

Typical rte rubbish

Anybody else have the same ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Canyon86 wrote: »
    The updated version of the rte player is such a useless application. What a crock of rubbish

The stupid ads run without a hitch but the actual content skips and buffers on any device I use !!!

Typical rte rubbish

Anybody else have the same ?

Yes, on everything from a PC to an iPad, to an android phone. I was blaming the Broadband, but Netflix works fine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Can I ask on this thread, did they remove the ability to stream the actual channels 1/2 on rte player on tv apps, or were they ever there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Click the on now at the top.

https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow

Ste- wrote: »
    Click the on now at the top.

https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow

That's not on the app on android tv or LG TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Kurn wrote: »
    That's not on the app on android tv or LG TV

I can find it down the bottom of the android app, haven't tried it on the shield yet and don't have an LG TV.

Ste- wrote: »
    I can find it down the bottom of the android app, haven't tried it on the shield yet and don't have an LG TV.

Yea it's on my phone's android but no shield or TV. I was only asking cause I cancelled Sky and can't access freeview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Out of curiosity I tried the RTÉ app on a Samsung Smart Tv. Guess what? Ads play but not shows. Well done RTÉ :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Out of curiosity I tried the RTÉ app on a Samsung Smart Tv. Guess what? Ads play but not shows. Well done RTÉ :mad:

RTE player has stopped working on my LG TV.... Ads work but no shows. Also RTE player plays about 20 secs on my Android box then stops - it used to work fine. Looks like RTE have done their usual thorough testing...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Out of curiosity I tried the RTÉ app on a Samsung Smart Tv. Guess what? Ads play but not shows. Well done RTÉ

Same here, very frustrating.
    Also downloaded the android app to try stream it too my shield - absolute disaster, really boils my blood. And to thing we pay a tv license for this muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

What gets my goat is when you contact them, it's your fault, it's your equipment, it's the weather, the phase of the Moon, the price of onions..... Anything but RTÉ.
    I've said it a hundred times they never seem to check anything they send out of Montrose. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Trevord

How come advertisers haven't copped that it doesn't work and pulled the plug themselves?

Having said that its the ads themselves that seem to be the only bit that works.

On my Samsung TV the programme routinely plays the ads twice before the programme even starts and then after another dose of ads at the ad break the programme goes back to the very beginning instead of going to part 2.

So to get to part 2 you then have to watch even more ads.

By then you just give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is only when you use the bbc iplayer that you realise the shambles that is the rte player and everything else they have recently launched.

One failed product after another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Ya same here ....ads are perfect ,then nothing plays ...a really poor effort by rte

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ameathdub

Its so frustrating I just gave up on Rte player. Half way through the programs it plays ads and then part two comes on for a few second and ads play again. It just loops like this forever on many programs. Netflix and Now Tv work perfectly so its not the device I use for sure or my internet connection.
    It looks okay as a player - but its the worst in terms of functionality and reliability that I have aver tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Diajocon

ameathdub wrote: »
    Its so frustrating I just gave up on Rte player. Half way through the programs it plays ads and then part two comes on for a few second and ads play again. It just loops like this forever on many programs. Netflix and Now Tv work perfectly so its not the device I use for sure or my internet connection.
    It looks okay as a player - but its the worst in terms of functionality and reliability that I have aver tried.

Agreed. There's probably not much development money left over after they finish making those self-congratulary montages promoting the "highlights" of their sport/news programming...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bmars

What a pile of crap.
    Every 20 seconds it buffers, well apart from the adds.
    Well done rte your are completely ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Bmars wrote: »
    What a pile of crap.
    Every 20 seconds it buffers, well apart from the adds.
    Well done rte your are completely ****e.

Totally agree!!
    Biggest crock of sh*****t from RTÉ
    I have given up on it

BBC player and Tv3 player work fine
    Classic RTÉ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Trying to watch Sunday game - just red RTÉ player logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭karlitob

‘More like this’ ads are on the bottom of the screen.
    Looks like the ads should swipe down once the show starts (kinda like the play, pause buttons) but it doesn’t.

Any ideas. iPads

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭parasomnia

I have fast broadband (500Mbps) and the new RTE Player just places adds fine but skips every 10 seconds with other content. I am using a 16GB Ram PC with ssd. I think it is the over zealous copy protections used by RTE player programmers as other similar flash based players like BBC seem to function better. Strange that it is a long ongoing issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

RTE really need to address this. Tried to watch the women's hockey match on the player yesterday. No go. Went to SKY GO app and watched the RTE channel there and no problem at all! WHAT THE ACTUAL F@$&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went onto the rte player yesterday to watch a few quick bits on Gay Byrne. I clicked on a stream and then it says 4 ads, each lasting 30 seconds. I gave up.

Rte are shooting themselves in the foot with this. 30 secs should be more than enough. The All4 app generally just has a 30 second ad before it plays the content.

With people watching boxsets, netflix and the iplayer - all with no ads - Rte are going to have to offer a better product.

The new player on the LG tv looks poor and doesn't show what you have previously watched. There is some 'favourites' button but it looks behind other products.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭dakan

Trying to watch the Gay Byrne tribute. Ads load but won't move onto the content. 21st century and RTE can't even do the basics like stream a TV show online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I was only thinking how bad it was yesterday after trying to stream something last night, then I see this thread pop up. The app just doesn't work consistently across devices. Funny how other app players do without issue... About the only thing that works is to cast RTE players web page to a TV with Chromecast. But then that's not RTEs technology working there but Googles doing, so no wonder it works... Do it from the app and it's hit and miss if it works.

As others say, amazing how the extended ads 'always' play but the content regularly fails to.

Just read this. Lack of money is probably a major factor.

RTÉ to cut jobs and pay, Limerick studio to close
    http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1106/1089209-rte-cuts/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

How the **** do u update the rte player new app it's says app update when u click on it it just keeps loading and nothing happens! So Essentially I can't watch anything on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

benny79 wrote: »
    How the **** do u update the rte player new app it's says app update when u click on it it just keeps loading and nothing happens! So Essentially I can't watch anything on it!

What device are you using? If it's a Samsung or LG Smart TV then, RTÉ have told me that pre 2015 models won't have RTÉ Player

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111760290&postcount=331

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

What BB provider is everyone using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

What device are you using? If it's a Samsung or LG Smart TV then, RTÉ have told me that pre 2015 models won't have RTÉ Player

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111760290&postcount=331

Cheers for that. Yes its a Samsung and its pre 2015 joke is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

benny79 wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Yes its a Samsung and its pre 2015 joke is right.

The solution I'd suggest is to Chromecast the new RTÉ Player from your phone to your TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

All I get on my LG is Network Error 400 🤬

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    All I get on my LG is Network Error 400 🀬

Geoblocked given your location?

Advertisement