Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of Freesat after Brexit?

Options
  • 22-12-2018 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Does anyone know if Brexit will have any impact on contracts that Astra/SES have with UK TV stations?

I’m asking this as I rely on the service to pick up my UK TV & radio stations & don’t really want to go down the route of subscription or IP-based options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

None whatsoever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only risk is some of the less financially strong channels failing due to a reduction in advertising income when the UK economy slumps. Most of the carriage contracts will even be negotiated in Sterling at least until their next renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

None whatsoever.

Unless someone in the EU decides that having a non-member polluting the airwaves in EU Ireland is not acceptable .... but it would take a mighty long time for anything to come out of that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

why doesn't RTE kick up a fuss about the UK FTA channels being broadcast in Ireland?

surely they would get a lot more viewers if they weren't there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

It has even been mentioned that the BBC may move some minor operations to Ireland (or Holland) to maintain EU licences etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Unless someone in the EU decides that having a non-member polluting the airwaves in EU Ireland is not acceptable .... :D

That's not as far fetched as you may think.
    Something else for our Euro Dictators to threaten the Brits with :-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Theres no political discussion here. Take it to the politics forum. I’ll allow the thread to continue as long as it focuses on Freesat, but it cannot be a Trojan horse for a more general discussion of Brexit and anyone who posts a comment along the lines of flashinthepan’s above can take a ban.

It’s obligatory for me to also point out at this point that the satellite has not yet been invented that can cover the entire UK from Land’s End to John O Groats and Newry to Derry without also covering the Republic of Ireland too.

icdg wrote: »
    Theres no political discussion here. Take it to the politics forum. I’ll allow the thread to continue as long as it focuses on Freesat, but it cannot be a Trojan horse for a more general discussion of Brexit and anyone who posts a comment along the lines of flashinthepan’s above can take a ban.

It’s obligatory for me to also point out at this point that the satellite has not yet been invented that can cover the entire UK from Land’s End to John O Groats and Newry to Derry without also covering the Republic of Ireland too.

It does not have to be all done in one satellite beam, does it?

Ireland managed to spot beam this island with little overspill.

Regardless cost or disruption, it seems technically possible to cover the whole of GB with little or no overspill into other countries. Admittedly N.I might pose some peculiar problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Regardless cost or disruption, it seems technically possible to cover the whole of GB with little or no overspill into other countries. Admittedly N.I might pose some peculiar problems.

Saorsat can be picked up in Wales

• Advertisement

Saorsat can be picked up in Wales

With some effort I believe and not throughout Wales based on the little I have read. Even then that is minimal overspill compared to what is happening with Astra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

why doesn't RTE kick up a fuss about the UK FTA channels being broadcast in Ireland?

surely they would get a lot more viewers if they weren't there?

RTE should pay to be on the Freesat platform. Not gonna happen when we're subsidising it unfortunately.
    They don't care one jot as long as there's tv licences.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Regardless of cost indeed. It may technically be possible to minimise overspill by adopting a multi satellite/beam solution. Is it cost effective to do so? You’d have to effectively replicate the entire Freesat service.

I think if the rights holders are relatively happy with the current arrangement, then the broadcasters won’t be bending over to adopt a solution which is for the rights holders (not the broadcasters) benefit. What’s more likely to happen down the road eventually is the end of satellite transmission and move to an IP based solution. That would require rural access to broadband on a scale not yet present and also brings its own difficulties regarding limiting rights to particular jurisdictions

Brexit has absolutely no impact on any of the above, by the way.

RTE should pay to be on the Freesat platform. Not gonna happen when we're subsidising it unfortunately.
    They don't care one jot as long as there's tv licences.

The requirement to have state control over our own broadcasting capabilities pushed RTE to use Saorsat as the 'fall back' capability to terrestrial broadcasting.

If we ever get full FTTH, then I could see Saorsat being dropped in favour of IPTV.
    It has long been considered necessary for any state to have, not only control over the state's broadcasting capabilities, but also to have a 'fall back' capability in case of disaster.

Unfortunately this carries a large financial burden.

At the very least, using DVB-T and IPTV, the state would have control over the performance of both, and not be dependent on satellites owned and operated by outside agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tvman2

I think it's only a matter of time before all TV will be provided like Netflix, BBC iplayer etc. It surely would be at a much lower cost than continuing to use satellite services and terrestrial transmitters.

Advertisement