Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build Questions

Options
  • 25-03-2019 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi there,

I’m hoping someone can help with this! We are due to sign contracts on a new build this week. In all the initial excitement, I have realised that we neglected to clarify a few things with the estate agent. For example, how will the gardens be left, will flooring be done throughout (some new build we viewed, we were told no), will there be access to a phone line, etc?

I am hoping the estate agent doesn’t think it crazy, but can understand my wanting clarification.

Are there other things that I have potentially forgotten about that need asking at this stage? (FTB, so still learning the ropes!)

Thanks!

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

- What's the tiling allowance.
    - What is their policy on making changes (eg. moving radiators, extra sockets etc).
    - What state will the attic be left in. Is the attic convertable in future?
    - Gas heating?

Don't be surprised if the EA can't answer some of these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭smurfette2212

awec wrote: »
    - What's the tiling allowance.
    - What is their policy on making changes (eg. moving radiators, extra sockets etc).
    - What state will the attic be left in. Is the attic convertable in future?
    - Gas heating?

Don't be surprised if the EA can't answer some of these questions.

Oh they are some good ones - thank you. Yes, I did imagine they wouldn’t have all the answers, but even some would be a start!

Me again, resurrecting an older thread rather than starting anew...

The builder is advising 1-2 months for the house to be ready. There have been a few "2 months" but this seems almost realistic now :)

A very daft question perhaps, but what order do these things need to be done in?
    • Valuation for bank
    • Snag list
    • Gas / Electricity signed up to (we were holding off on this, but realise it may be necessary for either of the above)

I know this may seem very obvious, but since it is the first time, I want to make sure we are causing unnecessary delays by not doing things at the right times!

The builder is advising 1-2 months for the house to be ready. There have been a few "2 months" but this seems almost realistic now :)

A very daft question perhaps, but what order do these things need to be done in?
    • Valuation for bank
    • Snag list
    • Gas / Electricity signed up to (we were holding off on this, but realise it may be necessary for either of the above)

I know this may seem very obvious, but since it is the first time, I want to make sure we are causing unnecessary delays by not doing things at the right times!

Solicitor should advise on the valuation.

Your snag list is done when the builders notify you it is ready to be snagged. They will then issue a completion notice.

You won't be able to sign the gas over until you take possession of the property. My understanding of the process is the gas connection is required to commission the the system so the builder does this under their name and signs it over. when you move in. Be sure to take readings!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Valuation for bank
    • Snag list

The order you have them in is the order you do them.

Valuation on a new build is done when the builder says it's complete. The snag is done when the builder calls you to do it. and finally you don't switch over the utilities until you have the physical keys in your hands. you'll meet the builder and they'll send a photo of the meter reading to their solicitor, they'll then inform ESB/Gas that they're done and you'll get a letter within 3-5 working days giving you 28 days to sign it over to your name.

• Advertisement

Thanks to you both! So, if the builder is telling us now to sign up for gas and electricity, should we not? He was saying to do it, in case of delays. I thought it would be done once we had closed the sale, but he seems quite insistent...

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Thanks to you both! So, if the builder is telling us now to sign up for gas and electricity, should we not? He was saying to do it, in case of delays. I thought it would be done once we had closed the sale, but he seems quite insistent...

I bought a new build a few months ago and as the others said the Gas/Electricity should be in the builders name until the house sale is complete and you have the keys in your hand. The day you get the keys you take the meter readings and sign up with your chosen provider.
    Make no sense to sign up before the sale is closed, you would be paying for Utilities you are not using.

omega666 wrote: »
    I bought a new build a few months ago and as the others said the Gas/Electricity should be in the builders name until the house sale is complete and you have the keys in your hand. The day you get the keys you take the meter readings and sign up with your chosen provider.
    Make no sense to sign up before the sale is closed, you would be paying for Utilities you are not using.

I had thought it a bit strange, but assumed the builder knew best. Thanks all, we’ll go back to him with that.

I had thought it a bit strange, but assumed the builder knew best. Thanks all, we’ll go back to him with that.

Apologies for resurrecting this, but having chatted to the builder, he has again asked for us to get this connected up - house isn’t due to be ready until the end of July. Is there any reason anyone can think as to why this might be? He seems to think we are being too uptight by not, but it doesn’t seem usual!

Apologies for resurrecting this, but having chatted to the builder, he has again asked for us to get this connected up - house isn’t due to be ready until the end of July. Is there any reason anyone can think as to why this might be? He seems to think we are being too uptight by not, but it doesn’t seem usual!

Why would you open gas and electric accounts on a house that isn't even yours yet? I would honestly refuse.

There's no reason for it other than the builder wanting to avoid paying for it.

If you want to get him off your back tell him you have contacted the electricity and gas provider and they have you ready to go the moment you get the keys and take the meter reading.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Why would you open gas and electric accounts on a house that isn't even yours yet? I would honestly refuse.

There's no reason for it other than the builder wanting to avoid paying for it.

If you want to get him off your back tell him you have contacted the electricity and gas provider and they have you ready to go the moment you get the keys and take the meter reading.

What you are saying makes sense, so we’ll just go back to him again. I hadn’t considered him just trying to dodge the cost, and thought there might be some other reason I had neglected to think of - it’s tough, I constantly feel at a complete disadvantage!

What you are saying makes sense, so we’ll just go back to him again. I hadn’t considered him just trying to dodge the cost, and thought there might be some other reason I had neglected to think of - it’s tough, I constantly feel at a complete disadvantage!

They don't need you to sign up for any consumer electricity provider to progress the build, so you're not holding them up in any way.

The electrician will wire your house, then ESB will come and connect it to the mains network. This all happens independent of who you choose to go with for your electricity.

The moment the builder gives you the keys he can take a meter reading to know what he's liable for and what he isn't.

The only reason I can think he wants you to sign up for it now is so he can take a meter reading now, which means you're on the hook for all the usage from here on. But you have no idea what they are doing with the house. They could be using your mains to power some stuff on site for all you know.

Advertisement