Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to ditch Virgin TV - advice re FreeTV system

Options
  • 05-03-2019 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi

I currently have Virgin for broadband, phone and tv(2 units) - based in Kildare.

I now have a 3rd tv and I'd like to drop Virgin tv and phone and I'm not sure what are my best options. (I currently don't have a dish/aerial).

Ideally I'd like to get a system that gives me the usual Irish and UK channels, but with the ability to record, an EPG, HD Channels and pause/rewind live tv. I'm looking for quality rather than just the cheapest.

I like the look of the system that HighHorseBrigade and NewClareman have with the Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB. I apologise if this info is elsewhere and this may have been asked before but I did a quick search and saw nothing relevant - all advice appreciated.

What are the best systems to go for, and where can I go to get get these installed ....?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

For the Irish channels you will need an aerial and for the free UK channels you will need a dish. The Tiviar Alpha box referred to will do everything you want except 4K. At the moment there is no free 4K content available and unlikely to be for some time.
    PM sent re installer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you'll need a dish and an aerial for the Tiviar (indoor aerial might suffice depending on where you are).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Smythz

Could i also please get contact details or website info for this

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Thanks for the replies guys.....Would I have to buy the Tiviar seperately or do any installers supply them as part of their package...?

• Advertisement

You would probably have to buy the box yourself but as you have seen there is plenty of help here to set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

Where is the best place to buy the tiviar box? Any other box recommendations?

Does a magic eye work for multi rooms or do you need multiple boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

PM sent

Would you mind PM'ing as well?

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Would you mind PM'ing as well?

PM re installer sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

PM re installer sent

Would you mind sending to me also Gerry, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

For the Irish channels you will need an aerial and for the free UK channels you will need a dish. The Tiviar Alpha box referred to will do everything you want except 4K. At the moment there is no free 4K content available and unlikely to be for some time.
    PM sent re installer

Is this generally considered the best box in terms of value and functionality? I've just started to research but I'm hoping there is general consensus on best available to make this easier for me!

Also, would be grateful for that contact too if you have a minute...!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Feidhlim wrote: »
    Is this generally considered the best box in terms of value and functionality? I've just started to research but I'm hoping there is general consensus on best available to make this easier for me!

There is no consensus on what might be 'the best box' ....... there is interest in the Tiviar because of its tuner numbers and cost now, which has been boosted by the images released by Boards members which help new users greatly, by having most everything set up within the image.

Those who use different hardware could well have different priorities and views which you will not read in the Tiviar threads.

For instance the Tiviar production has been discontinued I believe, so boxes are getting scarce. This will affect some people's attitude to its suitability in the long term.

There is no consensus on what might be 'the best box' ....... there is interest in the Tiviar because of its tuner numbers and cost now, which has been boosted by the images released by Boards members which help new users greatly, by having most everything set up within the image.

Those who use different hardware could well have different priorities and views which you will not read in the Tiviar threads.

For instance the Tiviar production has been discontinued I believe, so boxes are getting scarce. This will affect some people's attitude to its suitability in the long term.

Thanks, that's v helpful

Is there another box I could compare it to which also offers fast UI & lots of features? I see FreeTV highly recommend the Humax HDR 1100s but the video made the UI look a little slow. I really am clueless

Also, I assume the Nvidia shield will only support IPTV which isn't what I need to get all Irish and UK Freeview channels?

Feidhlim wrote: »

PM sent.
    If you are anyway PC literate, configuring a box with your own image is a simple enough task. Most images "talk you through" the initial setup. This mainly consists of scanning available channels and configuring your specific network settings. In many cases the default setting suit for everything else.
    That said, the beauty of Linux boxes is that they are infinitely customisable and can quickly be backed up/restored if needed.

PM sent.
    If you are anyway PC literate, configuring a box with your own image is a simple enough task. Most images "talk you through" the initial setup. This mainly consists of scanning available channels and configuring your specific network settings. In many cases the default setting suit for everything else.
    That said, the beauty of Linux boxes is that they are infinitely customisable and can quickly be backed up/restored if needed.

I think I would be fine with flashing. Just want to make sure I get the right box beforehand. Basic satellite with quad lnb be more than enough for HD to one source, right?

Correct but remember you will need a conventional aerial too for Saorview (Irish channels)

Advertisement