Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best indoor aerial?

Options
  • 05-03-2019 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

We recently setup a regular rabbit ears aerial in my housemates bedroom, and at one point we were receiving several BBC channels, and either C4 or ITV (cannot remember which). They were nearly but not 100%, but I thought that perhaps if we moved it around a bit, or had a better aerial we may be able to get the main UK terrestrial channels. We are in Stepaside, Dublin, so quite high up and on the third floor of the building.

Whether or not we can get the UK channels, I now want to fit an aerial in the main living room - what is the best indoor aerial? Powercity have many different types, and I did see a thing that you spread across a wall. Happy to order online if for a better product.

- Renting and I think building rules also prohibit fitting anything outdoors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

So called rabbits ears are the worst. They are not even designed for TV as they are VHF aerials designed for FM and DAB radio.

Things you spread across the wall are rubbish.

If you must use an indoor aerial get one that looks like a small version of an outdoor aerial. Avoid anything that is amplified or boosted or claims to have 40 odd dB gain. Amplifiers on indoor aerials are a waste of time, money, and electricity and just amplify all the noise present.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have a balcony of any sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

winston_1 wrote: »
    So called rabbits ears are the worst. They are not even designed for TV as they are VHF aerials designed for FM and DAB radio.

If you must use an indoor aerial get one that looks like a small version of an outdoor aerial. Avoid anything that is amplified or boosted or claims to have 40 odd dB gain. Amplifiers on indoor aerials are a waste of time, money, and electricity and just amplify all the noise present.

Thanks for the response, could you recommend any particular model or brand? Or is there something I could search for, if not VHF, how about googling something like 'best digital indoor aerial', would that be the correct terms?

I do not want to just search for best Saorview indoor aerial, as the results will just be from Ireland, whereas I am happy to order from abroad for the best device. The best device might make the difference between picking up BBC, ITV, Channel 4, and not! :)
    the_syco wrote: »
    Do you have a balcony of any sort?

Hi the_syco, I think we spoke once or twice on IRC years ago.

There is a balcony, but it is not directly beside behind the television. Please see the two pictures attached - TV is wall mounted above the black chest of drawers.

I rent, and there are restrictions on satellite dishes and I would assume also aerials (I will confirm this), so I am restricted on what I can put out there, and I would not really be able to go drilling, but someone in another thread where I was asking about satellite dish mentioned discreert dishes.

Maybe there is some kind of discreet outdoor aerial, I could affix to the decking with cable ties? I am guessing we would also need to get power out there, and the cable for the feed. This would have to be discreet, and I am guessing over in the left hand corner (where there is a window above the second panel from the left) would be a better place than directly in front of the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

You are looking for a UHF TV aerial. Wording like "digital", "HD", "4K ready" and so forth are pure marketing cr@p. An aerial for the correct frequency does not care if its digital, HD or whatever. Do not bother with anything that needs to be mains powered. Again they are a rip off. If the aerial isn't getting a good enough signal, no amount of boosting or amplifying will help.
    My advice would be to get one from your local Euro shop and try it. If it works great, if not no great loss. Try to place it as near the window as you can. I have heard of coax leads designed to fit in a window/door jamb without a need to drill but have no personal experience of them. Any kind of aerial will always work better outdoors.

https://www.freetv.ie/flat-satellite-cable-coupler/

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

We recently setup a regular rabbit ears aerial in my housemates bedroom, and at one point we were receiving several BBC channels, and either C4 or ITV (cannot remember which). They were nearly but not 100%, but I thought that perhaps if we moved it around a bit, or had a better aerial we may be able to get the main UK terrestrial channels. We are in Stepaside, Dublin, so quite high up and on the third floor of the building.

I am in Bray and have made a number of attempts to get UK TV with an aerial. On the day last week when the weather was very good, we got dozens of UK channels via a chimney mounted aerial, great during the day but by 9pm, nothing and no sign of them since, I would think your chances of getting UK tv on an indoor aerial, even with the height would be very small. You are only a couple of miles from Three Rock, my in-laws are in Kiltiernan and get perfect Saorview reception on an extendable aerial with a magnetic base mounted behind the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

winston_1 wrote: »

Also looking for similar for house in the wilds of sligo but partially sheltered from the 15km away Truskmore mast. Have "powered" rabbits ears to an Ariva Mpeg unit on a NON smart TV.. and get a variable reception. Sometimes perfect even on HD... fantastic reception and others times a bit of a stutter..pause / freeze etc but sound carrys on most times.. would absolutely prefer an indoor unit,can you point me in the direction of the best type to go for.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

personally speaking i found the one for all brand the best

eddie wrote: »
    Have "powered" rabbits ears to an Ariva Mpeg unit on a NON smart TV.. and get a variable reception. Sometimes perfect even on HD... fantastic reception and others times a bit of a stutter..pause / freeze etc but sound carrys on most times.. would absolutely prefer an indoor unit,can you point me in the direction of the best type to go for.. ?

Read my post number 2.

fryup wrote: »
    personally speaking i found the one for all brand the best

No they are generally poor. Get an aerial that looks like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

eddie wrote: »
    Also looking for similar for house in the wilds of sligo but partially sheltered from the 15km away Truskmore mast. Have "powered" rabbits ears to an Ariva Mpeg unit on a NON smart TV.. and get a variable reception. Sometimes perfect even on HD... fantastic reception and others times a bit of a stutter..pause / freeze etc but sound carrys on most times.. would absolutely prefer an indoor unit,can you point me in the direction of the best type to go for.. ?

I'd call in to Derry Taheney's. They do a small outdoor aerial for abour 15e. you might be able to fit it in the attic. Look towards Truskmore on a clear night. If you can see the light flashing you should have no problem getting a signal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement