Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Combining Astra (Freesat) & Eutelsat (Saorsat) LNBs

• 11-02-2019 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hello folks,

I appologise if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it in a search...

I have a Sky dish for UK Freesat with a triple feed lnb, and I want to add a dish for Saorsat. I just can't figue out in my head how one would go about adding/combining the Ka lnb feed into the other three Astra feeds....

Can anyone advise please, or point me to a relevant video link on how to do this if possible?

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Do you only need this in one location, for a single box or would you like to be able to access Saorsat and the UK FTAs in several rooms?
    Are you aware that Saorsat is RTÉ and TG4 only? Virgin is only on Saorview. (Apart from cable obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Hi Gerry,

The triple 'Sky' lnb feeds three seperate rooms, with a sat box (DVB-S2) in each room. I'd like to somehow feed Saorsat into each one of the three feeds if this is possible, so that each box can have UK Freesat & Saorsat. I'm not bothered about the Virgin channels not being on Saorsat as they're basically UK programmes repeated that are availble on Freesat.

Thanks.

You can use a device called a multiswitch to combine the signals from the 2 LNBs (or more). Multiswitches come in various versions depending how may inputs and outputs you need. Many include the option of "piggybacking" a terrestrial aerial onto the satellite cables. For example this 9 into 8 allows you combine two LNBs and a terrestrial feed (8 sat in +1 terrestrial =9) with 8 outputs for 8 different tuners. A recording box will have at least 2 tuners. Each tuner sends a signal to the MS to select whichever LNB it needs. This happens instantly and is invisible to the user. Just about any sat box or sat TV will work with this except a Sky box.

If you only needed recording on one box, a 4 output MS would suffice. 2 to the recorder and 1 each for the other rooms.

If you can get a Saorview signal it is still a cheaper / better option. Some sports events are blocked on Saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

If you only needed recording on one box, a 4 output MS would suffice. 2 to the recorder and 1 each for the other rooms.

If you can get a Saorview signal it is still a cheaper / better option. Some sports events are blocked on Saorsat.

Many thanks Gerry. I knew it could be done, but couldn't for the life of me remember how! I'm not as au fait with satellite as I am with terrestrial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

3x diseqc switches would be cheaper than a multiswitch with your existing setup. One of the outputs from the Saorsat LNB can be split in two, to give you 3 outputs in total.

Advertisement