Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

route to primary teaching

Options
  • 24-03-2019 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

hi

I am interested in doing a third level course in primary education. the problem is I have a leaving cert but I did not do Irish.

I was just wondering if I could do a primary teaching course in Ireland without the Irish that would enable me to teach in other countries because long term I dont want to stay in Ireland anyway.

I have looked at the option of doing primary teaching in scotland but its quite expensive. I have also looked at the option of doing a teaching course through a eunicas university like in spain but Im not sure how good a qualification in primary teaching in spain would be and what opportunites it would give. another problem is some modules are taught through spanish.

unfortunately doing irish in the LC is not an option for me as I have to qualify within 4 years this september.

I was just wondering if there are any other routes into primary teaching

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Can you apply up the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Somewhere in the UK is your only real option.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

I was considering the UK but the fees are 9000£ per year not taking into account accommodation and other costs which is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I was considering the UK but the fees are 9000£ per year not taking into account accommodation and other costs which is crazy.

That is your only real option.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Would you do an undergrad degree at home and then add a masters in the UK? You could be entitled to funding to do an undergrad here then the masters in Primary education in the North or Scotland would only be one year. - Still expensive to do the masters but it would only be one year as apposed to paying for 3 or 4 years.

You could do an undergrad in a subject taught in a subject like English or you could do a bachelor in education in post primary, this would get you into a one year masters in primary ed in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

Would you do an undergrad degree at home and then add a masters in the UK? You could be entitled to funding to do an undergrad here then the masters in Primary education in the North or Scotland would only be one year. - Still expensive to do the masters but it would only be one year as apposed to paying for 3 or 4 years.

You could do an undergrad in a subject taught in a subject like English or you could do a bachelor in education in post primary, this would get you into a one year masters in primary ed in the UK.

thanks for this advice. do you know how much masters costs in the UK?

what restriction on courses here could I do and allow me to do a masters in primary? for example i doubt I can do engineering and then do a masters in primary in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

what restriction on courses here could I do and allow me to do a masters in primary? for example i doubt I can do engineering and then do a masters in primary in the UK.

Technically, people can go into teaching with any degree. The interview and your academic results are the main components of the application. The interview will be an opportunity for the university to see if they think that you are suitable for the course, regardless of where you've come from with your degree.

The link at the bottom here is to St. Mary's in London, who do the PGCE in one year but you'd need to do at least two (if not three) to get the masters needed to teach in Ireland. Having said that, you would do year one full time, then work for years two and three and get the Masters part-time. There are also possible bursaries from the UK government, which you may be able to get.

However, if you want to teach at home, you're going to have to do LC Irish at some point and then an exam in Irish when you come back from the UK (all who qualify in the UK without Irish need to do this before being eligible to register with the Teaching Council).

https://www.stmarys.ac.uk/teacher-training/ireland.aspxn

An alternative route might be to do something like Education Studies in Marino Institute in Dublin (need an O6/H7 English and O6/H6 any language to get in) which has Irish in it, then do the PME after. But during the four degree in Marino you'd need to take on LC Irish and get the H4 yourself (sitting it as a single subject).

Advertisement