Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many lads have stock out?

Options
  • 21-02-2019 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if many of ye have animals out with the reasonably mild weather and good grass growth? I put out ten heifers last week to graze a bit of the meadow before slurry goes out. I'm based in the west. Hopefully they can stay out but I'm aware its still a bit early and bad runs of weather could come yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

endainoz wrote: »
    Just wondering if many of ye have animals out with the reasonably mild weather and good grass growth? I put out ten heifers last week to graze a bit of the meadow before slurry goes out. I'm based in the west. Hopefully they can stay out but I'm aware its still a bit early and bad runs of weather could come yet.

I've nearly all out except the bulls that will be sold next week and the last 6 cows to calve.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Smaller ones been out all winter with access to slats.

Heavier stock will be in for another few weeks to build grass another bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Weanlings were out all winter on catch crops and grass, bulls and dry cows still in with calved cows going to grass when they calve.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have 1 suckler cow and her calf out on outfarm :) milkers out during the day on homefarm

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I plan to let 10 heiffers out Monday , a few must be genomic tagged so hopefully they stay out . Have the last of last years bulls in and out all winter there happy out , fine shelter outside the shed and they spent most nights out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Who2

I’ve a fair few not long in, but otherwise it’s just cows as they calve. I should have a lot more out but I’m completely disorganized this spring. The first of my slurry is only going out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Going to let out weanlings the weekend.
    Need silage field grazed off for slurry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭High bike

Weanlings out on kale and haulage all winter,suckler going out as they calve ,hope they stay out this year not like2018

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I am going to take the plunge this weekend and let 12 Weanlings out. Last year it was may before they got out. I am in the west. I spoke to a farmer today he said if your letting weanlings out the need 1-2 kg/ head of Weanling nuts for week or two while their stomachs adjust. He says the grass is all protein at the minute no sun = no sugar this could run through them and they fall treat to grass tetany. Sounds logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I am going to take the plunge this weekend and let 12 Weanlings out. Last year it was may before they got out. I am in the west. I spoke to a farmer today he said if your letting weanlings out the need 1-2 kg/ head of Weanling nuts for week or two while their stomachs adjust. He says the grass is all protein at the minute no sun = no sugar this could run through them and they fall treat to grass tetany. Sounds logical.

Weanlings getting tetany? Unlikely id of thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

All out let the last of them out today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Lighter stock have been out for the past 2 weeks - lovely to see and it looks like we'll get another week out of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Let most of the stock out last week, about 10 days ago. Had to bring most back in on Tuesday as it was very wet for a few days. Back out again today. Heavy 25% will remain in for another week or 2 till I'm sure of ground conditions

Weanlings getting tetany? Unlikely id of thought

Yea grass tetany sounds sounds odd alright. I would say nuts for week or so to help the transition to grass. It will be coming out them like power hoses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Weanlings gone out again today for the second time.... they were let out last thurs but back in again on monday.... in batches of 12 - 15.. we generally don't bother with any nuts once they are out.. hopefully out for good now.

Never had them out as early but then again the year thats in it and only 40 hoggets around this year... loads of grass at the moment.... cows go out onto rougher ground a day or so after they calf... first arrival of the year yesterday.
    Roll on a good year, could do with it with all this Brexit uncertainty. North East Galway area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭endainoz

They'll be out for this week anyway, long range forecast a lot of rain in the West towards the end of the week so will keep a close eye on it. Have some calved cows to go out too but might wait for the spell of rain to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Weanlings gone out again today for the second time.... they were let out last thurs but back in again on monday.... in batches of 12 - 15.. we generally don't bother with any nuts once they are out.. hopefully out for good now.

Never had them out as early but then again the year thats in it and only 40 hoggets around this year... loads of grass at the moment.... cows go out onto rougher ground a day or so after they calf... first arrival of the year yesterday.
    Roll on a good year, could do with it with all this Brexit uncertainty. North East Galway area.

My land is being grazed off at the moment to get slurry on it, stock was taken off first of Dec, reseeded 30 years ago so no flashy grasseed mixtures.
    I see the track of a trailing shoe this morning so they must be trying one,
    Seems to be the only way to go now, they have derogation so was wondering is trailing shoe compulsory now in derogation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Have 9 out intend to let another 18-20 off this week. That will be about 50% of stock out. Expect to have everything out by mid March. Most of the first cattle off will be over 500 kgs. Lighter cattle are the last let off as they will take longer to finish

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

wrangler wrote: »
    My land is being grazed off at the moment to get slurry on it, stock was taken off first of Dec, reseeded 30 years ago so no flashy grasseed mixtures.
    Seems to be the only way to go now, they have derogation so was wondering is trailing shoe compulsory now in derogation

Only after June 15, ok before it. Wouldn't want to spoil the bbqs like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

wrangler wrote: »

Trailing shoe is a great job in that you don't have to wait to graze off and there's feck all smell. Also if done with hose, feck all compaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

We'll wait til St. Paddy day and assess the situation then

Let 11 bullocks out would love to empty the shed. Have the courage to let cows and calf’s out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Still a bit cold at night to let them out here. It’ll be mid March I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

All maidens going out this week. Milkers out full-time only dry cow's and freshly calved inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭older by the day

I know calender farming is a pain in the ass. But a look at the calender now and again does no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Tis still February lads. Tempted to let a few lighter ones off myself.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭emaherx

Tis still February lads. Tempted to let a few lighter ones off myself.

Only for another 2 days though.
    We've more/better quality grass in some places now than we had for most of last summer.

If the end of March/ beginning of April is a washout then it will be easy to bring some in and still have feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

The whole lot were shown the door. All out. Heavy 30% will come back in if we get high rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Only slurry out here last few days. Great to have it done in such fantastic conditions. This time last year was pure misery trying to get things done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

14 weanlings heifers out since last Friday.
    Would have more out but for the day job as i only see them by torch light morning and evening.

Advertisement