Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get a viewing on a house

Options
  • 23-02-2020 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

There is a particular house I am interested in.
    It has been up since November and the price has dropped by 5k.
    Houses in the area sold last year for 20k above what is being asked on this house but the house does need a bit of work. Floors and paint and new wardrobes in bedroom but I wouldn't say you would need to spend more than 6-7k to bring up to really nice standard.

I went to a viewing of another house yesterday and at that viewing by pure chance it was the same EA of the house we are really interested in.
    Bare in mind last Monday I asked about a viewing and the EA said they werent doing open viewings but would get back to me with a time and never got back to me and then when i asked about a viewing yesterday after catching the EA at another viewing she said she will be in touch and took my phone number.

I am willing to offer asking on this house but i feel the EA is holding out or something.
    The girl was visibly awkward when I asked her about the house yesterday.
    "The seller wont go under asking. We had someone offer 10k below and it was rejected straight away, also that house needs loads of work" and from the pictures, loads is definitely and exaggeration. Is it possible the EA is holding it for a friend?
    Hate this game to be honest. I thought it would be exciting.
    Any tips welcome :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Door Step the current owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Best advise, I would also make them aware that you have tried to arrange a viewing with the estate agent twice and have had no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

There is a particular house I am interested in.
    It has been up since November and the price has dropped by 5k.
    Houses in the area sold last year for 20k above what is being asked on this house but the house does need a bit of work. Floors and paint and new wardrobes in bedroom but I wouldn't say you would need to spend more than 6-7k to bring up to really nice standard.

I went to a viewing of another house yesterday and at that viewing by pure chance it was the same EA of the house we are really interested in.
    Bare in mind last Monday I asked about a viewing and the EA said they werent doing open viewings but would get back to me with a time and never got back to me and then when i asked about a viewing yesterday after catching the EA at another viewing she said she will be in touch and took my phone number.

I am willing to offer asking on this house but i feel the EA is holding out or something.
    The girl was visibly awkward when I asked her about the house yesterday.
    "The seller wont go under asking. We had someone offer 10k below and it was rejected straight away, also that house needs loads of work" and from the pictures, loads is definitely and exaggeration. Is it possible the EA is holding it for a friend?
    Hate this game to be honest. I thought it would be exciting.
    Any tips welcome :confused:

Tips?

You sound kind of naive.

House is cheaper than surrounding properties, EA tells you it needs lots of work, you're willing to offer asking and you're estimating 6-7k without seeing it.

Chase the EA to get the viewing, if that doesn't work drop a note through the letter box if you believe its owner occupied.

Go in with your eyes open and get a really solid survey coz my bet is you're talking 60-70k to start. 6-7k is what you'd spend moving into a really nicely finished property to adjust one or two small things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

The house is vacant and looks like an ex rental. Not sure how I would find the owner??

There’s photos and a 3D model you can walk around the house. From this you can see from quite good detail what work is required. 6-7k would get me paint and carpet for some rooms ive plenty of friends in trades etc.
    Just bring it to a comfortable level and do some work myself over the next year or 2. Not a chance I’ll be rocking in with 60k straight away.
    The house was built in 2000

Of course I’m a little naive I’ve never purchased a property in my life. Cheers though appreciate the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭snowcat

Indeed. The estate agent has only a 1.5% interest in selling the property. The owner will be 10 times more proactive. Estate agent only cares about their comission. Not sure why anyone uses them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

knock on a few of the neighbours doors - one of them is bound to know the owner and might have their number. Definately the EA is holding out for a friend or themselves - might be a personal cash handshake for them if a particular person get it. Either way let the owner know the EA is making it impossible for you to get a viewing. When you put in a bid make sure you text the owner too - don’t want yours ‘getting lost’. <SNIP>

knock on a few of the neighbours doors - one of them is bound to know the owner and might have their number. Definately the EA is holding out for a friend or themselves - might be a personal cash handshake for them if a particular person get it. Either way let the owner know the EA is making it impossible for you to get a viewing. When you put in a bid make sure you text the owner too - don’t want yours ‘getting lost’. <SNIP>.

Interesting. I’m going to make contact with the EA tomorrow and if I haven’t gotten a viewing by Wednesday I’ll be hunting the seller down.

I worry about doing this because I don’t want to get blacklisted by the EA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

There could be a chance that house is earmarked for the EA's Brother in law or golf buddy? Its not unheard of

Got the viewing in the end.
    Mad about the house. Hopefully can now proceed with a bid. The EA is awful and seems to not care about his client too much and it’s one of the big EA’s.
    Never thought purchasing a property would be such a crap/stressful experience.
    Some houses viewed at this stage are in bits.
    Got ran out of the last viewing by a tenant with a smoke in her hand and her dog by her side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I wish you all the best but once you go sale agreed keep looking just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Mad about the house. Hopefully can now proceed with a bid. The EA is awful and seems to not care about his client too much and it’s one of the big EA’s.
    Got ran out of the last viewing by a tenant with a smoke in her hand and her dog by her side.

Dont worry about it too much, see the stock market crash? That will work its way to here and into the property market here. It could be a great time to buy in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Unfortunately buying a house in this country is a nightmare. It's been one of the worst experiences of my life. Extremely stressful. It got worse for us after going sale agreed. The estate agent was hounding us after a month, it was slow for us due to the rebuilding Ireland process, they got hung up on the possibility of subsidence, but the EA seemed to think I was using that as an excuse.

Anyway good luck and I hope it goes well for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Unfortunately buying a house in this country is a nightmare. It's been one of the worst experiences of my life. Extremely stressful. It got worse for us after going sale agreed. The estate agent was hounding us after a month, it was slow for us due to the rebuilding Ireland process, they got hung up on the possibility of subsidence, but the EA seemed to think I was using that as an excuse.

Anyway good luck and I hope it goes well for you

And too add solicitors can drag it out also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Dont worry about it too much, see the stock market crash? That will work its way to here and into the property market here. It could be a great time to buy in 6 months.

I remember people saying this before the crash. The were saying it for about 5 years. When the crash happened they either wouldn't or couldn't buy. The banks weren't giving out mortgages so unless you were a cash buyer you were done. Then factor in many people aged out of getting a mortgage by needing a mortgage of less than 20 years. It is a gamble and you just need to know what you are gambling with and the stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If it is an ex-rental and the agent is not being very pushy it may well be a receiver sale and there is no chance of getting a mortgage on the property.

Advertisement