Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannot receive covid19 illness as no prsi contributions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

You will owe employee PRSI if you haven't paid. Your employer will owe employer PRSI which is a lot more. They will also be the ones subject to any fines and interest.

Despite owing money to Revenue you should still follow this up. This is important. If you need glasses or very routine dental treatment now it applies. It also matters for your state pension later in life.

I believe it applies to illness benefit but not to job seekers.

I think they are planning to amend that so that prsi rules don’t apply for the covid 19 illness payment ... wouldn’t make sense for a potential covid 19 case to be put off self isolation as they wouldn’t receive payment

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

https://ie.neuvoo.com/tax-calculator/?iam=&uet_calculate=calculate&salary=25000&from=year&region=Ireland would suggest about €1k PRSI and €500 USC annually, meaning OP will owe about €7.5k.
    Employer owes €53 per week, so about €13,780 in total excluding interest and penalties.
    Can see why they want OP to forget about it!

FYI should you ever want to claim Jobseekers Benefit, it is based on your contribution from 2 years previous. e.g. this year DEASP look at 2018. So OP wouldn't be able to claim JB before 2022, which is hugely unfair given 5 years work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

PRSI isn't by revenue.
    It's highly doubtful that this will be written off.
    In fact the opposite, every penny will be sought.
    If it were revenue they'd allow it be paid over a year.
    Not sure with department

Revenue do audit PRSI compliance.

They are unlikely to go after the employee. They are likely to go hard after the employer.

OP don't just drop this. You are being screwed over for five years of state pension contributions .You may not care so much now, but you will when you're older.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I thought wages were ‘ live ‘ from January so did the revenue not notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

It’s important that the op gets credit for the past 5 years. Maybe not right now, but sometime soon

Reminds me of the time mrs joeysoap worked part time for one of the major banks and was paid monthly. Correct prsi paid but incorrect number of contributions as the employer only showed 1 weeks work per month and not 4.
    It was only when she made a claim for dental benefit , and was refused, that the error came to light. And even then she had to produce payslips. It was over 20 years ago. Sorted in the end, but it took time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This thread is confusing the 200e for enhanced illness benefit and the 350 covid payment for being laid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

noodler wrote: »
    This thread is confusing the 200e for enhanced illness benefit and the 350 covid payment for being laid off.

True. And that's the OPs immediate problem.

But s/he has a much bigger underlying problem. It's better that this is brought to light now than in 10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

The employee does NOT have to pay over the employee share of the PRSI. (They would if it was PAYE.) The employer is liable for both now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Unicorn55 wrote: »
    The employee does NOT have to pay over the employee share of the PRSI. (They would if it was PAYE.) The employer is liable for both now.

Source please, for the sake of the OP

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

Calahonda, personal experience. A mistake was made with an employee's date of birth. When discovered, company thought they could pay over the employer PRSI and the employee would have to pay over the employee share. Nope, the employer was responsible for both as they were responsible for deducting it. If it had been PAYE, Revenue would have recovered it from the employee (over a number of years presumably)

OP, you need to make sure this is sorted, it would affect your pension etc. You should be been on Class A which has many benefits. Class J has very little.

Did you keep old payslips? Or P60s? They would show the error clearly.

It's actually a good thing you found this out now and not years down the line. The employer needs to submit amended P35s to Revenue and forward to Dept of Social Protection too.

You can write to them to request your PRSI record when sorted, just to check your record has been corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

.. or register with mygov.ie and look online for your historical stamps

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement