Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession predictions

Options

Comments

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Actually....

'A group of swans, also once game birds, is a wedge when they're in flight, likely because of the shape a group of swans takes in flight. And while we can call a group of swans a bevy, a herd, a game, or a flight, they can only be a bank when they're on the ground.'

I did check this.

herd just had the right phonetic ring to it.

flock was like, fock no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

World economy is in recession since last quarter of 2019...corona will just stamp that !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Maybe now we ll see some much needed radical changes and differing approaches from major institutions globally, such as helicopter money and debt forgiveness, which probably should have been done during the previous recession

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Maybe now we ll see some much needed radical changes and differing approaches from major institutions globally, such as helicopter money and debt forgiveness, which probably should have been done during the previous recession

Hopefully not. That sort of stuff got us here. Hopefully now we will see prudent lending and business practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Zenify wrote: »
    Hopefully not. That sort of stuff got us here. Hopefully now we will see prudent lending and business practices.

helicopter money hasnt been tried on a major level yet, this is whats called qe for the people, not the qe that has been done to date, which truly has just inflated asset markets. im just after receiving a phone call from a business owner whos now in panic mode, they virtually have no buffer, this which i suspect is common in many sectors, they agreed that helicopter money might just keep some businesses afloat. this is very radical thinking, but our not so radical institutions such as central banks arent exactly open to this kind of thinking. its interesting to hear countries such as hong kong have already done this, with other countries considering it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Would anyone like to predict some GDP figures? Irish Q1 GDP? Looks like most economies are shaping up for some truly massive QoQ declines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

What do ye guys think about the possibility of a 'bail in' happening in the near future?
    For me it seems all the conditions are there,

- huge sums of money being pumped to keep economies going ( who is going to pay for this? )

-at present huge sums of money on deposit in people's bank accounts

- 'bail in' legislation brought in a few years ago

Seems to me it could go like Cyprus ( remember that) where basically people had thousands on deposit wiped out.

Would like to hear yer opinion as I'm a bit of a tin foil hat if I'm being honest.

Thespoofer wrote: »
    What do ye guys think about the possibility of a 'bail in' happening in the near future?
    For me it seems all the conditions are there,

- huge sums of money being pumped to keep economies going ( who is going to pay for this? )

-at present huge sums of money on deposit in people's bank accounts

- 'bail in' legislation brought in a few years ago

Seems to me it could go like Cyprus ( remember that) where basically people had thousands on deposit wiped out.

Would like to hear yer opinion as I'm a bit of a tin foil hat if I'm being honest.

All money in banks is guaranteed by the irish state to100k. Cant take money that they guarantee themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

All money in banks is guaranteed by the irish state to100k. Cant take money that they guarantee themselves?

So would I be right in saying that anything above 100k could be taken by government? ( genuine question)

Thespoofer wrote: »
    So would I be right in saying that anything above 100k could be taken by government? ( genuine question)

By the bank in a situation where it fails, yes. Very unlikely, if we didnt let it happen after 2008 I doubt we will now. I do think this will be worse than 2008. But money in banks is secure. The damage to trust would be irreversible. We would never trust banks again. The EU would never allow it because of the damage to trust across the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Yes there will be bail-ins. Early indications are that countries like Germany/Netherlands have already nixed any hope of Eurobonds or similar EU-level funding to assist with the crisis (prompting furious reactions from Spain/Italy) - there will only be the currently existing options, which will be coupled with austerity policies as a conditiion.

We're in for a repeat of the Euro crisis, fitting a similar pattern to the last recession - with many eurozone countries already in very bad shape economcally - with an even greater risk of the Euro imploding, from countries reverting to national currencies, than before.

It's not looking good at all. No lessons were learned from the last recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Wouldn't be surprised if they took the cash and issued a 10 year...guaranteed bond in it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

March HICP data published today by Eurostat

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/10294628/2-17042020-AP-EN.pdf/3229e469-7748-a31e-c3e8-60949cea7641

Inflation dropped from 1.2% in Feb to 0.7% in March, in the euro area.

1.6% to 1.2% in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Prediction?

Economic Armageddon the likes of which most people born after the wars have never seen.

It's going to be very very tough

andrew wrote: »
    Would anyone like to predict some GDP figures? Irish Q1 GDP? Looks like most economies are shaping up for some truly massive QoQ declines.

US Q1 first estimate of GDP published today

https://www.bea.gov/news/2020/gross-domestic-product-1st-quarter-2020-advance-estimate

Real GDP down 4.8% at an annual rate

Nominal GDP down 3.5%

Geuze wrote: »
    US Q1 first estimate of GDP published today

https://www.bea.gov/news/2020/gross-domestic-product-1st-quarter-2020-advance-estimate

Real GDP down 4.8% at an annual rate

Nominal GDP down 3.5%

Discussion of 40% drop in US GDP in 2020:Q2.

http://econbrowser.com/archives/2020/04/economy-in-a-nose-dive

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/56335

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0505/1136606-exchequer-figures/

The Exchequer recorded a deficit of €7.473 billion in April, more than double the deficit of €3.192bn recorded in April of last year.

Just the start of it.

CPI published today, for April 2020.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/cpi/consumerpriceindexapril2020/

We have moved into very mild deflation. Rate is -0.1%

"The most notable changes in the year were decreases in Communications (-8.0%), Clothing & Footwear (-3.9%), Furnishings, Household Equipment & Routine Household Maintenance (-3.1%) and Housing, Water, Electricity, Gas & Other Fuels (-1.2%). There were increases in Education (+4.1%), Alcoholic Beverages & Tobacco (+4.0%), Health (+2.3%) and Recreation & Culture (+1.9%).

• Advertisement

Dec 2011 CPI = 100

Dec 2019 CPI = 103.6

Eight years, and 3.6% cumulative inflation, that is low.

Geuze wrote: »
    CPI published today, for April 2020.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/cpi/consumerpriceindexapril2020/

We have moved into very mild deflation. Rate is -0.1%

"The most notable changes in the year were decreases in Communications (-8.0%), Clothing & Footwear (-3.9%), Furnishings, Household Equipment & Routine Household Maintenance (-3.1%) and Housing, Water, Electricity, Gas & Other Fuels (-1.2%). There were increases in Education (+4.1%), Alcoholic Beverages & Tobacco (+4.0%), Health (+2.3%) and Recreation & Culture (+1.9%).

So, things you buy get cheaper because things you need are getting more expensive.

All aboard the deflation train!!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Mad to think we are still here in 2020 after 08 with huge intervention still chugging forward. Who have thought it. It's quite possible that we get out the other side of Covid and this could go on for many more years to come with distorted markets. It all looks completely unsustainable but where does it end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Could be a general malaise worldwide for the medium term in terms of inflation and economic growth a la Japan maybe? Certainly interesting times, its gas watching decisions that will be in textbooks for generations to come happening live!

Eurostat April inflation data

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/10294852/2-20052020-AP-EN.pdf/4d69f01b-fe9a-c248-2627-cc2059ca2f31

EU = 0.7%

Euro-area = 0.3%

13 countries in mild deflation.

Eurostat flash estimate for May inflation.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/2995521/10294840/2-29052020-AP-EN.pdf/82e74a7c-bfea-cc42-b842-260f2ce4039e

This is an estimate, not the official figure.

Euro-area = 0.1%

Main driver is energy price deflation.

Big jump in "unprocessed food" inflation in April 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Very anecdotal I know, but my own business is considered "essential" and this is how we've traded since the start of the crisis.

Day 1 - almost instant 50% decline in sales. We had to let 40/107 staff go. All internal indicators painted toward a long terms slump in demand.

Mid April - sales stabilised around 60% of pre-covid. Good cash flow management is key here. We have mostly blue-chip customers who were themselves trading well, so cash flow planning was going to be fairly accurate. Smaller customers were approached early and payment plans in place - luckily very few needed to avail of this.

Late April - sales back to 65-70%. We looked to take back some staff that were laid off. Very few took up the offer. As people were laid off, they were getting rent holidays, so Covid payments plus rent holidays added up to being of more value.

Late May - sales are back to 90-95% of pre covid....and same old story, cant get staff.

I think the government did exactly the right thing by giving money directly to those who lost their jobs. I think it preserved a certain amount demand in the economy that might not have been there otherwise.

We will help the country recover if we stop buying so much from the UK and support local and Irish companies more.

I just cant see the major recession in ireland. The pharma sector here cant spend fast enough and that leads to huge secondary jobs. Intel are going ahead with their plant, construction of huge developments resuming. From what I can see there is still a huge shortage in skilled positions. There should be a program set up now for people in typical unskilled jobs to reskill as they will be hit hardest by this recession which will be retail and hospitality. Also if the irish will be competative in tourism there will be a huge domestic market this year.
    We will feel the effects of 3 months of little economic activity but from what I am seeing the country will bounce back strong.

• Advertisement

Voltex wrote: »
    and same old story, cant get staff.

Lots of people are unemployed. I think many of them (myself included) arent willing to work 5 days a week for an extra €100

Advertisement