Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14th World Swimming Championships

Options
  • 26-07-2011 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 54,700 ✭✭✭✭

I can't believe this thread has not been created yet?

Anyone following it.

I am, on the beeb. I saw Cesar Cielo took Gold in the 50 M butterfly.
    Should he even be there?

Big 200 M freestyle today. Phelps is up against it. Lochte I think should take gold.
    15 year old Chinese girl took gold yesterday in the 200 IM, Ye Shiwen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_at_the_2011_World_Aquatics_Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

walshb wrote: »
    I can't believe this thread has not been created yet?

Anyone following it.

I am, on the beeb. I saw Cesar Cielo took Gold in the 50 M butterfly.
    Should he even be there?

Big 200 M freestyle today. Phelps is up against it. Lochte I think should take gold.
    15 year old Chinese girl took gold yesterday in the 200 IM, Ye Shiwen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swimming_at_the_2011_World_Aquatics_Championships

Good call. Lochte did take gold. The Chinese are doing very well, as should be expected. Gráinne Murphy missed out on a final place in the 1500m, but maybe the 8 is her best event?

Cielo Filho was cleared by CAS, so what's the problem with his appearance? Incidentally, that was his first 'fly medal at a global championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,700 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Good call. Lochte did take gold. The Chinese are doing very well, as should be expected. Gráinne Murphy missed out on a final place in the 1500m, but maybe the 8 is her best event?

Cielo Filho was cleared by CAS, so what's the problem with his appearance? Incidentally, that was his first 'fly medal at a global championships.

Many athletes have been cleard by the so called authorities...

Mark Foster isn't a fan, well at least not of the decision.

Filo is a great swimmer, but rules are rules. He is very lucky. I am not at all surprised, as doping in sport is never taken seriously. There's always an excuse, a red herring that the athletes use, and the authorities generally accept it.

I will catch that 200 Free later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Is this on the telly at all? (I'm guessing eurosport)

BBC interactive are screening LIVE swimming...

walshb wrote: »
    Many athletes have been cleard by the so called authorities...

CAS was established to put an end to all this nonsense. Their decisions are binding on all sporting governing bodies and athletes. So that's the end of his case.

Yes, all the swimming is live on Eurosport. Morning sessions start at 2 am (BST) and evening (or Finals) sessions begin at 11 am (BST).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

BBC have finals and Eurosport are showing all heats and finals live. I prefer Eurosport for the commentator's soothing Scottish accent.

Phelps wins his 23rd WC gold when winning his hallmark event, the 200m 'fly!

He also won a silver and bronze, with more (undoubtedly) on the way.

What does he do with all the medals? :eek:

Catching up now on the beeb. Pellegrini* does the double. Best swimmer in the world at the moment.

The beeb are at the Stingray, the unofficial nickname for the 2012 Aquatic Centre. Impressive looking. Tom Daley performed the first official dive inside it earlier this evening.

Phelps: First 5 time swimming WC at the same event. Great win. Thought he was going to lose at the 150 turn.
    What a final 50 metres.

Epic race between Lochte and Phelps for the 200IM gold, with Lochte hanging on for gold and a WR, the first in 20 months (the first since the suits were banned?).

Irish women finished 16th of 17 in the 4x200m. Gráinne Murphy is back in action in the 800 tomorrow morning. Hope she makes the final.

Looking at these championships, you can see the gulf in standard between Europe and the rest of the world. China, USA, Australia and Brazil are dominating, with France and a few individuals holding up Europe's end.

Why aren't the Brits doing better? Are they concentrating too much on their own big show next year?

Will catch that race later. Bummer being in work when this is on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Epic race between Lochte and Phelps for the 200IM gold, with Lochte hanging on for gold and a WR, the first in 20 months (the first since the suits were banned?).
    Yep
    Looking at these championships, you can see the gulf in standard between Europe and the rest of the world. China, USA, Australia and Brazil are dominating, with France and a few individuals holding up Europe's end.
    I dunno about that exactly, you'll always have USA dominating and Australia seem to come & go in circles every 3-5 years, China becoming a new power with the depth of a squad that they maybe have been missing over the years.
    Europe has never had a leading superpower in world swimming but there always is a lot of European individuals that win medals in Worlds/Olympics, just off the top of my head is some European Champions this week so far.
    Lotte Friis(Den)
    Fed Pellegrini(Ita)x2
    Camille Lacourt(Fra)
    Jérémy Stravius(Fra)
    Dutch women 400 FTR
    Alexander Dale Oen(Nor)
    Anastasia Zueva(Rus)

I think that's all but not a disgrace or far behind by any stretch of the imagination.
    Why aren't the Brits doing better? Are they concentrating too much on their own big show next year?
    While not medalling they are getting lots of swimmers into semis/finals, both swimmers in some events so I wouldn't be to critical of them, obviously London is the major influence on all their training right now, everyone would want to qualify for that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭swimmer_hoop

Also it should be noted that Missy Franklin's lead off on the 4x200 free today would have beaten Pellegrini in the 200m final. 1:55.0 and she's only 16, potential to dominate that event for years with a start like that!

Also I think it's worth noting the Irish Junior Record set by Sycerika McMahon in the 100m breast. 1:09.91 - Big swim at her first Worlds, only 16 years old aswell, she'll do very well over the next coming years.

Advertisement