Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Electric scooter

Options
  • 10-04-2021 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought an electric scooter for my 8 year old sons birthday in did tallaght for 250 quid.
    Straight away we could see it was faulty. I brought it back literally 5 days later and they took it into the store to have a look at it. They said they would call me back and two weeks later its still there.

I have had to call them many times chasing it up despite them telling me they would call me with an update. Today when I called they said that the scooter is being taken away by segway and fixed by them. That's their policy. I asked how long it would be and they couldn't answer me. They said that's the way segway operate.

I reminded them that I bought the scooter of them and that an 8 year old with a disability is asking for his scooter.

Am I entitled to a refund or a complete new unit? Does anyone have any information that could help me please as I've never experienced customer service as shocking as this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,495 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought an electric scooter for my 8 year old sons birthday in did tallaght for 250 quid.
    Straight away we could see it was faulty. I brought it back literally 5 days later and they took it into the store to have a look at it. They said they would call me back and two weeks later its still there.

You've a bit of an issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Refund, replacement or repair but it's not your call as to which R the retailer gives you. So no you're not entitled to any specific remedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

https://www.irishtimes.com/1.282806

Irish Times article is interesting.

The Act says that when a customer purchases goods or services, he or she has entered into a contract with the seller. Under this contract, consumers are entitled to receive goods of "merchantable quality", which are fit for their purpose. Despite what a shop may say, consumers have a legal right to receive a cash refund if goods do not meet these basic standards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A twenty one year old interpretation of regs by a newspaper is not something to base your argument on.

Your basis here should be that a repair needs to be within a reasonable timeframe.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Caranica wrote: »
    Refund, replacement or repair but it's not your call as to which R the retailer gives you. So no you're not entitled to any specific remedy.

Wrong - if its not fit for purpose you are entitled to a refund.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/your_rights_as_consumer_in_ireland.html

Did you pay by credit card. If DID won't refund you (if it is indeed faulty), tell them you will initiate a charge back with your bank.

https://www.did.ie/content/policies/terms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wrong - if its not fit for purpose you are entitled to a refund. That is a statutory right under EU law.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/consumer_laws/your_rights_as_consumer_in_ireland.html

Did you pay by credit card. If DID won't refund you (if it is indeed faulty), tell them you will initiate a charge back with your bank.

That’s not what ‘not fit for purpose’ means.

If the scooter was sold to the OP on the basis that it would be used for commuting 60km a day, and it turned out that it wasn’t really designed for that, that’s where ‘not fit for purpose’ comes in.
    ‘Broken’ and ‘not fit for purpose’ aren’t the same thing,

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s not what ‘not fit for purpose’ means.

If the scooter was sold to the OP on the basis that it would be used for commuting 60km a day, and it turned out that it wasn’t really designed for that, that’s where ‘not fit for purpose’ comes in.
    ‘Broken’ and ‘not fit for purpose’ aren’t the same thing,

Agreed but the OP said it was 'faulty' not 'broken'.

OP - what exactly is faulty about the scooter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You might have asked that question before you jumped in with your earlier "statement of fact".

Wrong - if its not fit for purpose you are entitled to a refund.

https://www.did.ie/content/policies/terms

Yeah I paid by card. Thank you.

Its advertised that it lasts for 40 mins on full charge. It was going dead after 10 mins. It was also intermittently not responding to the button making it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

To clear this up.

Yes the shop is entitled to use one of the 3 r's.

But if its a repair, it must be permanent and only give them one chance to fix it - make sure they know this from you. If its not fixed then request a refund or replacement. They cannot reuse the repair (assuming its the same issue).

Additionally a reasonable amount of time needs to be allowed - I would believe 14 days is reasonable - after all scooter was only 5 days old. If they fail to fix in that period (send a letter or email to ensure this has been stated) then ask for refund or new scooter - if refuse initiate a chargeback - however chargebacks are taking up to 3 months to work through (AIB anyway).

You might have asked that question before you jumped in with your earlier "statement of fact".

I asked after reading their post where they said it was 'faulty'...

To clear this up.

But if its a repair, it must be permanent and only give them one chance to fix it - make sure they know this from you. If its not fixed then request a refund or replacement. They cannot reuse the repair (assuming its the same issue).

Additionally a reasonable amount of time needs to be allowed - I would believe 14 days is reasonable - after all scooter was only 5 days old. If they fail to fix in that period (send a letter or email to ensure this has been stated) then ask for refund or new scooter - if refuse initiate a chargeback - however chargebacks are taking up to 3 months to work through (AIB anyway).

Source for 'clearing it up' ?

Why should the customer have to accept a repair (possibly longwinded). It doesn't do what it said it would its as simple as that.

As for chargebacks, that must be AIB being very slow as BOI and PTSB are within a few weeks.

OP , what did DID say when you asked for a refund? I'd also only speak to a store manager. Stand your ground and proceed with a chargeback if they won't refund you, they are trying to fobb you off. Your contract is with DID not the manufacturer.

To clear this up.

Yeah that's fine but I have a young child who was given it on his birthday and he had been waiting months for it.

Basically, if I had of bought it the night before his birthday and charged it up and it didn't work, I would have no working birthday present for my son the following day. The shop are saying it's segways issue and they need to send it to them for repair.

Its like buying a pair of Nike runners in lifestyle and when you go home, find holes in them. You bring them back to lifestyle and they tell you it's Nikes issue and they will send them off so Nike can look at them. That would never happen though. Lifestyle would just give you a new pair of runners and sort it out with Nike themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I asked after reading their post where they said it was 'faulty'...

So you jumped in with your "Wrong" before you even read their post! FFS.

So you jumped in with your "Wrong" before you even read their post! FFS.

Jog on.

Yeah that's fine but I have a young child who was given it on his birthday and he had been waiting months for it.

Basically, if I had of bought it the night before his birthday and charged it up and it didn't work, I would have no working birthday present for my son the following day. The shop are saying it's segways issue and they need to send it to them for repair.

Its like buying a pair of Nike runners in lifestyle and when you go home, find holes in them. You bring them back to lifestyle and they tell you it's Nikes issue and they will send them off so Nike can look at them. That would never happen though. Lifestyle would just give you a new pair of runners and sort it out with Nike themselves.

Then go all social media on them and ensure that a child with a disability is involved. Should speed up the issue.

Source for 'clearing it up' ?

Why should the customer have to accept a repair (possibly longwinded). It doesn't do what it said it would its as simple as that.

As for chargebacks, that must be AIB being very slow as BOI and PTSB are within a few weeks.

OP , what did DID say when you asked for a refund? I'd also only speak to a store manager. Stand your ground and proceed with a chargeback if they won't refund you, they are trying to fobb you off. Your contract is with DID not the manufacturer.

Source for “clearing it up” related to explaining how the repair section of the three r’s is considered. It explained the rights of the purchaser but also the right of the shop to complete a repair. The op’s post seemed to indicate they did not know what was their actual rights in this situation. While it may not be good customer service the shop has the right to repair. From past experience going nuclear these days does not help your situation. However with a child with a disability involved I would consider a polite media approach.

Source for “clearing it up” related to explaining how the repair section of the three r’s is considered. It explained the rights of the purchaser but also the right of the shop to complete a repair. The op’s post seemed to indicate they did not know what was their actual rights in this situation. While it may not be good customer service the shop has the right to repair. From past experience going nuclear these days does not help your situation. However with a child with a disability involved I would consider a polite media approach.

Nuclear option is often the only way these companies actually listen- otherwise you get treated like a pleb.

Good luck OP, hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Then go all social media on them and ensure that a child with a disability is involved. Should speed up the issue.

Is telling them you bought it for an 8yr old a good idea or necessary. E-scooters are not suitable that age and they are certainly not toys.

Anyway the age of the user, or they have special needs not really relevant to the products functionality. It should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP is entitled to a refund if the repair is not completed within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2003/si/11/made/en/print

We got onto the general manager over the shop manager.
    Full refund has been awarded. It's a good result but I wouldn't buy anything again from the did tallaght shop.
    Loads of bad reviews about them on Google. I never checked them before as I bought stuff in did in crumlin before and never had an issue.

Thanks for advice.

We got onto the general manager over the shop manager.
    Full refund has been awarded. It's a good result but I wouldn't buy anything again from the did tallaght shop.
    Loads of bad reviews about them on Google. I never checked them before as I bought stuff in did in crumlin before and never had an issue.

Thanks for advice.

Well done

Sounds like the person you were speaking too was trying to fob you off and didn't understand your consumer entitlements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Well done

Sounds like the person you were speaking too was trying to fob you off and didn't understand your consumer entitlements.

I had recent dealings with DID tallaght. The manager was a pain in the ass and I ended up buying elsewhere. They lost a sale of about 500 euro.

Advertisement