Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screwfix. Ie

Options
  • 25-12-2020 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I am a regular purchaser of items from here but now that brexit will be upon us, will there be issues on sending items or because its a registered ie company, will everything be as normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

tobeme2020 wrote: »
    I am a regular purchaser of items from here but now that brexit will be upon us, will there be issues on sending items or because its a registered ie company, will everything be as normal.

I’m wondering this too but with a different company, Schuh. I bought items off the Irish website Schuh.ie (in EUR) but I know for a fact the goods will probably come from the UK and likely not arrive till after 1 Jan. Does that mean it’s subject to new rules?

Probably could have used click and collect in the store but not supposed to be going these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Anyone can buy an Irish domain. It does not mean the stock is in Ireland.

I would presume both Screwfix and Schuh already pay Irish VAT, as they have shops here and even if online is a totally separete business, I'd imagine they are over the limit to reigster for Irish VAT.

So if they are, nothing should really change. They just have to stick a customs declaration sticker on the delveries.

I'll emphasise should but we might have to just wait and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wheety wrote: »
    Anyone can buy an Irish domain. It does not mean the stock is in Ireland.

I would presume both Screwfix and Schuh already pay Irish VAT, as they have shops here and even if online is a totally separete business, I'd imagine they are over the limit to reigster for Irish VAT.

So if they are, nothing should really change. They just have to stick a customs declaration sticker on the delveries.

I'll emphasise should but we might have to just wait and see what they say.

If they sell more than 70k a year into Ireland they legally have to register for tax here. So for big companies like w req fix it’ll be no different regardless where they ship from

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tobeme2020

Joziburg wrote: »
    I’m wondering this too but with a different company, Schuh. I bought items off the Irish website Schuh.ie (in EUR) but I know for a fact the goods will probably come from the UK and likely not arrive till after 1 Jan. Does that mean it’s subject to new rules?

Probably could have used click and collect in the store but not supposed to be going these days.

Was there any issues with delays for your item

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ted1 wrote: »
    If they sell more than 70k a year into Ireland they legally have to register for tax here. So for big companies like w req fix it’ll be no different regardless where they ship from

Screwfix confirmed that will be deducting UK VAT, so it will have to be cleared and Irish VAT paid. I thought they would be on board with this.

• Advertisement

tobeme2020 wrote: »
    Was there any issues with delays for your item

No, arrived within 2days. The items were selected from stock already in Dublin stores so Schuh.ie didn’t need to ship from U.K.

In any case as someone already noted, maybe a different thread, Schuh.ie is Irish VAT registered so at checkout stage it should be charging Irish vat so even if stock was coming from U.K. it shouldn’t incur any extra fees on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Joziburg wrote: »
    No, arrived within 2days. The items were selected from stock already in Dublin stores so Schuh.ie didn’t need to ship from U.K.

In any case as someone already noted, maybe a different thread, Schuh.ie is Irish VAT registered so at checkout stage it should be charging Irish vat so even if stock was coming from U.K. it shouldn’t incur any extra fees on arrival.

Unless the order comes from the UK and is over €150 - then there could be duty applied - plus a handling fee by courier / An Post.

Ogham wrote: »
    Unless the order comes from the UK and is over €150 - then there could be duty applied - plus a handling fee by courier / An Post.

Yes true

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ppg

I assumed because it is Screwfix.ie, tax wouldn't be a problem. I ordered an item on 02/02/2021.
    On 03/02/2021 it was exported from UK.
    On 08/02/2021 (11.29 hrs) it arrived in destination country.
    On 08/02/2021 (11.48 hrs) It was released from customs.
    On 11/02/2021 it still has to:
    * arrive at delivery depot
    *Go out for delivery
    *Be delivered.

Not overly impressed !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ppg wrote: »
    I assumed because it is Screwfix.ie, tax wouldn't be a problem. I ordered an item on 02/02/2021.
    On 03/02/2021 it was exported from UK.
    On 08/02/2021 (11.29 hrs) it arrived in destination country.
    On 08/02/2021 (11.48 hrs) It was released from customs.
    On 11/02/2021 it still has to:
    * arrive at delivery depot
    *Go out for delivery
    *Be delivered.

Not overly impressed !!

Where is the issue with tax exactly?

It shipped from the UK so it MUST go through customs, full stop.

Unless you think screwfix should be exempt from the law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ordered on the 20th January from Screwfix.ie received goods on Monday

Never again

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ppg

Cabaal wrote: »
    Where is the issue with tax exactly?

It shipped from the UK so it MUST go through customs, full stop.

Unless you think screwfix should be exempt from the law?

Sorry Cabaal you are 100% correct, it is not a tax issue, I was really giving out about the timescale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The number of stock items not available for collection is nuts. I needed to order some cable, gal pipe, couplers, tees, cover plates, saddles, caps and bends. All they had was the pipe, cable and cover plates. The rest I ordered from a place in Louth who delivered the next day. I also had to drive to the SF branch not local to me because they didn't have it at my local branch. When there, a man was returning a rail for exchange, but they didn't have the size he wanted in stock :pac:

Hopefully SF get their stock issues sorted. Its a real put off dealing with them like this.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

Had a long delay with a delivery from SF but it cleared customs and was delivered without issue on vat etc.

I think it tool almost 3 weeks. ON reflection there was an order sheet with an irish vat number but no commercial invoice. EORI number , comodity code or any other paper work

I think that goods would have come quicker if they had the paperwork to sail through customs on both sides of water

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I was in Screwfix yesterday collecting a couple of things and talking to the staff member, he said it was insane the amount of stuff they were waiting on to be delivered from the UK.
    He didn't know when things would get back to "normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

I'm waiting on a ~250 euro delivery from them and it looks like it's come from the UK. Am I going to get stung for massive customs duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

WLad wrote: »
    I'm waiting on a ~250 euro delivery from them and it looks like it's come from the UK. Am I going to get stung for massive customs duty?

It depends. Did they charge Irish VAT?

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It depends. Did they charge Irish VAT?

Yes definitely. It was through the Irish site and it was definitely added at the checkout stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I had a couple of orders arrive last week and both came from the UK. Placed another yesterday. As it is vat registered in Ireland through their Dublin office, there was no issue with customs so I doubt there would be any surprises. Both arrived within a week. Their customer service is decent too.

I had a couple of orders arrive last week and both came from the UK. Placed another yesterday. As it is vat registered in Ireland through their Dublin office, there was no issue with customs so I doubt there would be any surprises. Both arrived within a week. Their customer service is decent too.

Excellent thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Buffman

WLad wrote: »

You paid Irish VAT on the Irish website so there won't be any duty.

They're pretty honest about Brexit disruption their website.

https://www.screwfix.ie/help/disruption/

BREXIT DISRUPTION – Service Update – 10.03.2021

Screwfix Ireland is a registered Irish business with 12 stores in Ireland with more to come. When purchasing products for home delivery from our Irish website, screwfix.ie, the products are dispatched from our UK based distribution centre. This is done to ensure we can offer as many products as possible to our Irish customers at really great prices.
    This process should be seamless but due to Brexit there have been significant changes that we, along with our delivery partner, have had to make to allow us to get your order to you. Unfortunately, we have encountered some unforeseen issues with the UK and Irish customs which is causing some delays to orders and in a small number of cases we are unable to deliver an item. This is due to the manufacturer of these affected products not meeting all of the new export criteria. If your order is affected by this and we are unable to deliver your parcel, then we will contact you. Please note that you will not be charged any additional duties or delivery charges.
    On average orders are taking a minimum of 5 working days delivery.
    We are very sorry if your order has been delayed and we’re working hard with our carrier to get your parcel to you as soon as possible.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Same scenario here - ordered on the 24th from Screwfix.ie, delivery was split over two parcels, first small one arrived in a couple of days. Finally got an update on the second one today - landed in Ireland

8/4/2021 10:40 Delivery Agent - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF Released from customs
    8/4/2021 10:40 Delivery Agent - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF Arrived in destination country
    7/4/2021 1:57 International Hub Exported from the UK
    7/4/2021 1:47 International Hub Sorted for export
    1/4/2021 20:42 International Hub Exported from the UK
    31/3/2021 1:13 International Hub Exported from the UK
    31/3/2021 0:24 International Hub Sorted
    30/3/2021 0:58 International Hub Exported from the UK
    30/3/2021 0:39 International Hub Sorted
    26/3/2021 21:22 International Hub Exported from the UK
    26/3/2021 21:01 International Hub Sorted

Advertisement