Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of flippers and snorkel in swim training

Options
  • 10-11-2016 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Can anyone advise when to use flippers and snorkel in training. My swim coach recommended them to me and lots of people use them in the masters class , I assume that for the drills the snorkel is the job but what about flippers? when do you use these? I'm still getting the hang of the training and wonder if they're worth splashing out for yet..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle001

buck65 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise when to use flippers and snorkel in training. My swim coach recommended them to me and lots of people use them in the masters class , I assume that for the drills the snorkel is the job but what about flippers? when do you use these? I'm still getting the hang of the training and wonder if they're worth splashing out for yet..

Using fins and doing kick only drills will help to strengthen your core and improve your overall body position in the water. It's worth noting that there are different versions of fins with some geared more towards endurance. Also kicking technique is important so that your knees don't bend too much and feet are not rising out of the water.

Snorkel will help you work on catch etc without breathing getting in the way.

Fins are definitely worth it if you are going to swim regularly IMO - I don't have a snorkel so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭griffin100

You can use fins when drilling - kick drills, balance, catchup, fist, etc. They help keep a good body position and avoid you swallowing half the pool. They are also useful for full stroke at speed. Use the snorkel for concentrating on form without having to worry about breathing. I have fins and use them most sessions, I don't have a snorkel. My kids have both and use the fins all the time on all strokes, the snorkel less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Like others have said, I use fins primarily for drills to help with body position, maintaining a certain speed and so forth while doing drills like catch-up. As Turtle said I've found they have really strengthened my core, and I think they've also helped make my legs/kick stronger generally due to building up endurance from the extra resistance. They can also help with ankle flexibility for kicking - though if you don't have very flexible ankles yet, you'll likely feel it when you first start using them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Used them today to try them out, quite severe on the ankles alright! I did 100m and took them off, also tried out a snorkel, got the hang of that too, certainly good for the drills. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

fins are great for drills, have had snorkels they're ok but don't bring near as much to the party as a set of fins would

• Advertisement
Advertisement