Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD 1TB 31Euro, 2TB 45Euro - recertified

Options
  • 20-03-2018 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

This might be old news to you guys - but I came across some deals from Western Digital for WD Elements drives described as "recertified".

1TB was 31 Euro, 2TB was 45 Euro (my Euro symbol has disappeared...)

WD quote postage as free above 50Euro - I can't see what it is for less.

Heres the link:
    https://www.wdc.com/en-ie/products/wd-recertified/wd-elements-portable.html

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Only 2TB available now. Worth a punt I'd say. I would probably only want to use this as a backup, I'd be a bit wary of having something on this that wasn't backed up somewhere else. It being recertified would worry me in case it suddenly failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Personally wouldn't buy WD again after the circuit board went in mine and cost 140 to have fixed, the drive was grand only the board burned out, I've heard of this happening a bit with these. Had to get the board replaced in order to access the drive itself. It was a mybook essential mind you not one of these, just don't trust the brand anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Personally wouldn't buy WD again after the circuit board went in mine and cost 140 to have fixed, the drive was grand only the board burned out, I've heard of this happening a bit with these. Had to get the board replaced in order to access the drive itself. It was a mybook essential mind you not one of these, just don't trust the brand anymore.
    Who can be trusted? Seagate? Toshiba (are they getting out of the biz?)? Samsung? Each hard drive company down through the years seems to be the ONE to get it right - and then the angry mutterings start...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Who can be trusted? Seagate? Toshiba (are they getting out of the biz?)? Samsung? Each hard drive company down through the years seems to be the ONE to get it right - and then the angry mutterings start...

Yes, there are only 3 companies left now, WD, Seagate and Toshiba and Tos are rumoured to be about to leave the market, leaving just two. Samsung HDD business was already bought by Seagate and Hitachi by WD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I wouldn't trust any drive. Hence always keep multiple drives.

Recertified I would look at the warranty and see how much the manufacturer trusts them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    1TB was 31 Euro, 2TB was 45 Euro (my Euro symbol has disappeared...)

WD quote postage as free above 50Euro - I can't see what it is for less.
    I ordered a single 2TB one for €45 and the postage was free. :cool:

I figure it will come in handy for carrying bulky files such as video footage between PCs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

beauf wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust any drive. Hence always keep multiple drives.

The 3-2-1 strategy

3 copies of the data
    2 of which are local but on different medium
    1 copy offsite

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I bought one of the 2TB ones, I will just use it to have my OneDrive photos locally when I need them so no issues if it fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Have 2 Seagates operating 3 and 5 years recording tv footage, even if one failed now I would buy a Seagate again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Tapping buy now and nothing happens:confused:
    looking to use the 2tb as a media drive on tv. Got a 4tb portable seagate and wouldnt run. Anyone familiar with doin this know if 2tb would do the trick? I think its down to how many amps power the drive needs, but thought all pprtable drives would use the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

matchthis wrote: »
    looking to use the 2tb as a media drive on tv. Got a 4tb portable seagate and wouldnt run. Anyone familiar with doin this know if 2tb would do the trick? I think its down to how many amps power the drive needs, but thought all pprtable drives would use the same

And also how much power can tv supply. That's why less risk is with 3,5 powered hdds.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

New type My Book 4tb drives available again now...

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Are the 2tb drives no longer available:confused:

Are the 2tb drives no longer available:confused:
    They come in and out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

matchthis wrote: »

More likely to be the TV/Media Player OS: a 2.1TB max size constraint for 32-bit OS's on a local drive. If your 4TB is empty you might try wipe and partitioning it under 2TB to see if it works (great waste of space as a permanent solution obviously).

2TB desktop externals are very rare these days, would have thought there'd still be a niche market despite NAS and streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Will give the 2tb a shot, still be used either way

Advertisement