Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon CS100 1TB WiFi drive €34.99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

Anyone know the return process?

sugarman wrote: »
    Agreed. Piece of junk.

Slightly regret buying it myself, but i'll pull out the drive and upgrade the PS4 to 1TB and throw the 500GB into the PS3 and the aul 80GB from that can gp back into the Canon. Still works out 15quid cheaper than buying a 1TB drive.

you can get a faster 7200rpm hard drive for 5 euro more, without all the hassle of getting the drive out of this thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0151KM3I0/ref=twister_B0751K2DKV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

glasso wrote: »
    you can get a faster 7200rpm hard drive for 5 euro more, without all the hassle of getting the drive out of this thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0151KM3I0/ref=twister_B0751K2DKV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Desktop drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

It's a WD AV drive too, similar to the "purple" 3.5" and used in their My Passport Ultra range - that's what it shows up as in the warranty checker - (theoretically) valid until 26/12/18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

rks wrote: »
    Anyone know the return process?

You need to ring them and they will email you a free returns label. If you haven't taken delivery yet you can refuse delivery. Money should be refunded in about 10 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'll read back over the thread again but in essence this is absolutely useless? I thought I saw a post somewhere here that you could transfer files to it via a Canon app- that's not the case?

It's in effect absolutely a load of auld crap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I'll read back over the thread again but in essence this is absolutely useless? I thought I saw a post somewhere here that you could transfer files to it via a Canon app- that's not the case?

It's in effect absolutely a load of auld crap?

It’s not that it’s rubbish, it’s just a few of us bought in the hope of hacking it to use as something other than its intended purpose. If you had a compatible Canon camera and liked the idea of transferring your photos onto a box to watch on your TV it’s decent enough value seeing as how it was €300 18 months ago. I guess some people might see it as a fun if unnecessary accessory. It’s a TB of space and it does what it does very well in fairness, if you’re into watching photos on TV. 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

jakdublin wrote: »
    It’s not that it’s rubbish, it’s just a few of us bought in the hope of hacking it to use as something other than its intended purpose. If you had a compatible Canon camera and liked the idea of transferring your photos onto a box to watch on your TV it’s decent enough value seeing as how it was €300 18 months ago. I guess some people might see it as a fun if unnecessary accessory. It’s a TB of space and it does what it does very well in fairness, if you’re into watching photos on TV. 😀

Can I use it to back up the .cr2 files I have on my PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Im using it to dump photos off tge phones iver wifi with the app and it works the finest for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I missed UPS delivery at home and they're not letting me change address to work so may just leave them return it to Canon at this stage based on the reviews here.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    Can I use it to back up the .cr2 files I have on my PC?
    I’d imagine so. Definitely takes them from the camera so I’d assume you can transfer them through the browser interface, which I found speedy enough for dumping jpegs onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It’s not bad once you got it for it’s intended purpose which I did. Definitely not worth €300 or even half that.
    I have transferred my phone and iPad photos over to it and if I want I can send the photos from the box to google drive.
    Any reviews on YouTube or google would have mentioned it’s limitations before you purchased.
    Still I think it’s worth the price for If you want to try hack it some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's worth the price. Disregard the negative stuff in the last two pages. Anyone looking to return it is a fool it's a super cheap TB hard drive . And a great back up to your photos if you value keeping family pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I’d imagine so. Definitely takes them from the camera so I’d assume you can transfer them through the browser interface, which I found speedy enough for dumping jpegs onto it.

If it connects over the network to the PC and lets me use it as a backup, I'll keep it. Otherwise I'll decide if I want to return it or take it apart. I have a drive caddy that uses eSata that I could throw it into.

If it connects over the network to the PC and lets me use it as a backup, I'll keep it.

It doesn’t. That’s one of its major flaws imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

439588.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Have an unopened one here on my desk. Stupid impulse buy. €30? Someone in Dublin City centre at lunchtime want a bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

Have an unopened one here on my desk. Stupid impulse buy. €30? Someone in Dublin City centre at lunchtime want a bargain?

No Offence but this made me laugh out loud! I looked at this, almost bought but then took a deep breath. Well the extra oxygen went straight to my brain and I realized I have absolutely no use for this. One less problem for me today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

My Dad has a pretty decent Canon, so thought this might make a nice birthday present, turns out his doesn't have NFC/wifi. So not a lot of use to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

My Dad has a pretty decent Canon, so thought this might make a nice birthday present, turns out his doesn't have NFC/wifi. So not a lot of use to him.

Sd card transfer. As someone says above, purely from a photo backup and viewer perspective, with 100gb online storage thrown in and a TB of local storage, it’s a steal. Obviously, having extended functionality in terms of a true network drive, it’s be a right touch but still a very good deal IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

dodzy wrote: »
    Sd card transfer. As someone says above, purely from a photo backup and viewer perspective, with 100gb online storage thrown in and a TB of local storage, it’s a steal. Obviously, having extended functionality in terms of a true network drive, it’s be a right touch but still a very good deal IMO.
    Not only SD put has a CF card slot as well for the higher end cameras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If he's a serious shooter going from card to CS100 is useless, he'll be shooting RAW and need to go through LR/PS before storing long term.

Its useful for the new mammy with a 1300D to snap the youngin, not for the photog with a 5D.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

This almost does what I want. I’d like to edit my .cr2 raw files using Afinity Photo on my iPad Pro. It’s a really nice way to edit and the screen is great. However making raw files available to the app is a pain. I have to use my laptop and a card reader to copy the files somewhere—iCloud, Dropbox or my NAS—making it laborious. I don’t want a dongle hanging out of the iPad and would prefer a wireless solution. The CS100 only surfaces a jpeg (which it seems to create from my .cr2 only CF card making imports super slow).

So I’ll see if I can put Linux on it and if that fails build a box with a raspberry pi and a CF card reader that I can browse using FileBrowser on iOS.

Also the hard drive is pretty loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

I’ll take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

dodzy wrote: »

Can we map it as a drive on a PC?

yannakis wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

lordlame wrote: »
    I’ll take it

If it doesn't work out, I'll take it, I am looking for a spare TB HDD. South side or city centre works for meeting up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

I can't see myself holding on to this so I'll return it .... Unless any boardsie (Dublin Northside or city centre) wants to give me €35 for it...

yannakis wrote: »

nope. even though some people on here were adamant that you could do so :)

• Advertisement

How long does the firmware update on these take? It's downloaded it but seems to be taking forever to install and complete the process.

How long does the firmware update on these take? It's downloaded it but seems to be taking forever to install and complete the process.

About twenty mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Mine arrived today, before I open it, I bought it to back up all my photos that i have over the years on my pc and other drives, would this do the job or am I wasteing my time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

meathman0 wrote: »
    Mine arrived today, before I open it, I bought it to back up all my photos that i have over the years on my pc and other drives, would this do the job or am I wasteing my time?

It will, but you upload it through a horrible mobile website that only lets you upload them, not create albums etc.

What app are you guys using? The actual app for the drive is awful and won't let you select albums/specific images to upload and the Irista app only seems to upload online and has nothing to do with the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

What app are you guys using? The actual app for the drive is awful and won't let you select albums/specific images to upload and the Irista app only seems to upload online and has nothing to do with the drive.

Use whatever network address it's been assigned from within your browser. You can drop single images or folders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

HI

Thoughts after one day of trials:

Cons:
    - slow
    - slow to upload pictures via NFC/WIFI
    - slow to upload pictures via browser
    - can't upload folders, just files
    - noisy, can hear it over PS4 and my laptop
    - no option to copy over the network
    - when uploading it doesn't create albums and you need to create manually adding picture one by one
    - GUI could be better

Pros:
    - 1 Tb drive inside

Conclusion:
    - will buy another one or two and will have 2nd small xpnoogy box

Regards
    Tom

HI

Thoughts after one day of trials:

Cons:
    - slow to upload pictures via NFC/WIFI
    - slow to upload pictures via browser

How are you uploading images using NFC/WiFi? Do you have a Canon camera?

How are you uploading images using NFC/WiFi? Do you have a Canon camera?

Hi

Yes I have Canon SX710 (or something like that).

also one additional pron is 100Gb free space on Canon Web thingy.

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

Is there any way to access this device from a PC / apple ( directly / browser / USB)

or over a network?....or it it only really usable using a TV ( which I don't have)

BigGeorge wrote: »
    Is there any way to access this device from a PC / apple ( directly / browser / USB)

or over a network?....or it it only really usable using a TV ( which I don't have)

Nope to all.

Can't connect directly to pc.
    Can't connect via network (only thru browser)
    Only connected to tv or monitor to browse pics.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've ordered a SATA -> USB case for this drive. I'll connect it to my Raspberry pi and use it as network storage. It'll be slow but it's purely for backup purposes so it doesn't bother me really.

Someone else mentioned this, but this device is really loud, obnoxiously so. I wondered if it had a fan in side it but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

This is really just a paperweight - I just wasted €35...

Not really, you can remove drive from case and use it with laptop or pc.
    Or put into enclosure and get external hdd.

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

I think you can send it back within 30 days of purchase for a full refund ..

Not really, you can remove drive from case and use it with laptop or pc.
    Or put into enclosure and get external hdd.

Tom

Or convert your 500Gb playstation to 1Tb Playstation :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If it connects over the network to the PC and lets me use it as a backup, I'll keep it. Otherwise I'll decide if I want to return it or take it apart. I have a drive caddy that uses eSata that I could throw it into.
    It doesn’t. That’s one of its major flaws imo.

Ara sh1te, that's what I wanted it for....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'll give you a score for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Someone else mentioned this, but this device is really loud, obnoxiously so. I wondered if it had a fan in side it but I doubt it.
    It does, see the bottom. The damn thing spins even in standby.
    On top of all the problems mentioned already I would add the remote - at least mine does not seem to register all clicks properly, even when pointed directly at the receiver, making using it a real chore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

I would suguest if anyone has the option to return the useless piece of $@#%; . It is literally throwing money down the drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I'll give you a score for it?

Ah Jasus, come on :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement