Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon CS100 1TB WiFi drive €34.99 delivered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cunavalos wrote: »
    I bought two of these when this was first posted on HUKD in November (Slightly Cheaper €25 IIRC). In the end i didn't find much of a use for the first one and cracked it open to take the hard drive and put it into a USB3 enclosure and use it as a portable hdd.

(IMG)

I'd assumed she was a 3.5", which in hindsight of course its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

glasso wrote: »
    wireless is even slower - it's just about fast enough for reading a 720p movie off the drive for streaming on wireless in my experience of a similar unit. writing to it on wireless will be painfully slow.

if you even want to connect to a pc for putting stuff on it usb 2 will come into play - would probably take a minute to write 1gb.

I already have two wireless drives. A 3gb Seagate Central, which I use to store videos to stream through Plex and it's fine for that. I also have a 3gb WD Mycloud, which is slow, painful to use and next to useless for streaming. I'm hoping to reformat the drive on this and use it as extra wireless storage for streaming. Alternatively, I'm wondering if I could reformat it and just use it as an external drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Thanks OP, picked one up! Will go nice with the new Canon DSLR I got for Christams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

jakdublin wrote: »
    How did you do that? I just bought one in the hope that I could use it as a wireless external drive, but I'd need to wipe the disk and reformat. Is that easy enough to do?

12 screws in total to remove the hard drive without damaging the unit, 4 torx screws in the base, 4 "philips-head" screws holding the caddy in place and 4 screws holding the disk in the caddy.

Followed the instructions from here
    https://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/topics/successfully-installed-canon-cs100-wd-hdd-in-laptop

But if using a usb to sata cable all reformatting can be done using the disk manager utility in windows

cunavalos wrote: »
    12 screws in total to remove the hard drive without damaging the unit, 4 torx screws in the base, 4 "philips-head" screws holding the caddy in place and 4 screws holding the disk in the caddy.

Followed the instructions from here
    https://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/topics/successfully-installed-canon-cs100-wd-hdd-in-laptop

But if using a usb to sata cable all reformatting can be done using the disk manager utility in windows

Ah, that's perfect pal. Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Thanks OP. Got one for the wife. She has a canon EOS 1300d and was filling up the PC hard drive with all her photos. This also comes with 100gb of online storage as well. Can't believe how quick it was despatched. Will have it Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Turns out its a moderately powerful machine. https://forums.hak5.org/topic/42523-canon-connect-station-cs100/

Probably not enough to run kodi etc but perhaps could be hacked to put a torrent client on. Will report back when I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TheWatcher182

Thanks OP. I've been meaning to find a reasonably priced one of these for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Tweaky wrote: »
    This also comes with 100GB of online storage as well.
    Oh, I missed that one. There is no word in T&C about that space being made available for a specified time only, so I assume it's a permanent add-on. Canon charge €24 a year for that, so it can accumulate into a nice saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Oh, I missed that one. There is no word in T&C about that space being made available for a specified time only, so I assume it's a permanent add-on. Canon charge €24 a year for that, so it can accumulate into a nice saving.

You’ll get the voucher code for the storage space at the bottom of your purchase confirmation mail from Canon. Looks like you’ve only 24hrs to redeem from time of purchase though, so if you want it, don’t hang about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭A1404

Just wondering if the internal Hdd can be used in laptop ? have toshiba satellite laptop that need new hdd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

A1404 wrote: »
    Just wondering if the internal Hdd can be used in laptop ? have toshiba satellite laptop that need new hdd

Yes you could use the hdd in your laptop as long as your laptop was build in the last 10 years or so. You will need to format the hard drive and install windows on to it is very easy if you have any issues pm me and I could run you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Thanks Op, great price at €35 and with free delivery.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Well, I didn't need that, but now I have one..
    Thanks OP.. I think! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Thanks OP, can't go wrong for €35, will use it for backing up photos from our phones. Shipping notification 2 mins later and got 115GB free cloud storage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

dodzy wrote: »
    You’ll get the voucher code for the storage space at the bottom of your purchase confirmation mail from Canon. Looks like you’ve only 24hrs to redeem from time of purchase though, so if you want it, don’t hang about.

Not even 24 hours! I tried it just now & it wasn't valid... Only placed my order at about 17.30

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Not even 24 hours! I tried it just now & it wasn't valid... Only placed my order at about 17.30

Took me a few goes to get it to work. Had to set up the canon ID and them download the Irista app and then after verifying Email address and all that I found an option under account in the app to enter the voucher code manually. There was no way I could get the direct link to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I'd email customer support, it's supposed to be valid untl tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Tweaky wrote: »
    Took me a few goes to get it to work. Had to set up the canon ID and them download the Irista app and then after verifying Email address and all that I found an option under account in the app to enter the voucher code manually. There was no way I could get the direct link to work.

Direct link worked for me, working on laptop though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Can this unit be used for plugging into pc and copy videos and photos on to it from the family smart phones?
    Just trying to figure out what you are all discussing. I have a couple of phones that need to have the videos and photos dumped to free up memory. Will this sort me out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A review where the at time of review it cost $300, I suppose now for €35 you can't possibly go wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can this unit be used for plugging into pc and copy videos and photos on to it from the family smart phones?
    Just trying to figure out what you are all discussing. I have a couple of phones that need to have the videos and photos dumped to free up memory. Will this sort me out?

Plug it in beside your home router, connect it with an ethernet cable (not included) then all the phones can fire images off to it with the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

zinzan wrote: »
    Direct link worked for me,

Me too, got email about 10 seconds after ordering. Set up account and clicked redeem voucher and had 115gb instantly and then a couple of minutes later got tracking number.
    Best efficiency, I think I have ever seen with an online order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭irishproduce

ED E wrote: »
    Plug it in beside your home router, connect it with an ethernet cable (not included) then all the phones can fire images off to it with the app.

And is it as easy to transfer them to some other drive say for example a normal HDD in a laptop, at some future point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Ordered deffo worth the money at that price, got a 1300D for Xmas and have a canon printer already will go nicely.

Thank op.

Same thing happened me. Was thinking they might be only valid for new accounts as apparently I had one already from a Cannon printer I bought a couple of years ago but the code didn’t work with a new account either.

Same thing happened me. Was thinking they might be only valid for new accounts as apparently I had one already from a Cannon printer I bought a couple of years ago but the code didn’t work with a new account either.

Did you download the Irista app ? Worked for me just now. I got the 15gb following new account setup (via web browser). No option to redeem code that I could find. Downloaded the app, logged in, and then I had the redeem code option

mega nz offers 50gb free if anyone needs storage.

was going to buy this thing but then read that you can't even load stuff onto it via the usb port - export only. there is a chance that this thing could be hacked into something useful but as it's so niche most hacker developers won't be interested in it. I could just see it gathering dust, especially as it needs to be powered via plug and takes a while to boot up.

although may be useful if you are too lazy to put a camera sd card into a laptop I suppose!

sugarman wrote: »
    Go to "Account" icon in top right corner of the home page once youre logged in, then just scroll down to the bottom to "Redeem voucher".

Worked for me instantly.

See it now, on the very bottom. Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

glasso wrote: »
    was going to buy this thing but then read that you can't even load stuff onto it via the usb port - export only.

That's not correct

Advertisement