Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 GB 2.5'' External Hard Disk Drive, aldi on Sunday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I need to back up my laptop is the above any good?

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15853.htm

Does your laptop have a USB 3.0 port? If it only has usb 2.0 ports then it will still work BUT you will require a separate power adapter for the enclosure.

You could get a 1TB USB 2.0 Hard drive on amazon.co.uk for about €60 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Looks good - I paid 60 in Lidl before Christmas for a similar sized USB 2.0 one.
    Then again, I don't have any 3.0 gear

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

I need to back up my laptop is the above any good?

http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15853.htm

It looks like a very good buy and is as future-proof as you can get, right now.
    Trevor451 wrote: »
    If it only has usb 2.0 ports then it will still work BUT you will require a separate power adapter for the enclosure.
    I'm surprised that this drive requires the increased power available from a USB3 port. Have you a reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

NewHillel wrote: »
    It looks like a very good buy and is as future-proof as you can get, right now.

I'm surprised that this drive requires the increased power available from a USB3 port. Have you a reference?

There is a power slot near enough to the USB 3.0 port and I presume that is for USB 2.0 compatibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I don't think I have the 3.0 port, will it still work if I don't have a separate power adapter?

I don't have a credit card so buying online is out. I'm looking for something reliable, doesn't have to be super fancy.

If I head into Aldi I'll make sure to check the box to see if it is 2.0 usb port compatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Trevor451 wrote: »
    There is a power slot near enough to the USB 3.0 port and I presume that is for USB 2.0 compatibility?

I have several USB 2 hard drive enclosures with sockets for an additional power supply (you get an extra USB cable with them). They've all worked fine just running on one USB cable though.
    I don't think I have the 3.0 port, will it still work if I don't have a separate power adapter?

I don't have a credit card so buying online is out. I'm looking for something reliable, doesn't have to be super fancy.

If I head into Aldi I'll make sure to check the box to see if it is 2.0 usb port compatable.

USB 3 devices are backwards compatible and will use USB 2 speeds if plugged into a USB 2 host. If there is a power socket on it, chances are a suitable cable will be supplied.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

USB 3.0 also has a lower voltage rating so one cable would normally be more than enough power to power the beast

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

As expected, works fine on USB2. The cable provided allows a secon USB2 port be connected for power. While not necessary, i will reduce the load on a single port so best to use two, where available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Anyone know the RPM of this?

Advertisement