Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon CS100 1TB WiFi drive €34.99 delivered

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

zom wrote: »
    If you haven't bin it yet, would you mind to rip off top radiator and have a picture what's underneath ?

Here you go. Click on the link below. Just got my free online 100gb today. Voucher didn't work when I first got it so I complained. They ignored me for a week but suddenly decided to give it to me today.

IMG_0556.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Thanks but that's bottom on the picture (disk). On the other side there is aluminium radiator glued (?) to CPU/GPU/RAM. I didn't want to tear mine but you seems not to mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭wallaby72

It looks like there has been some success in getting samba working on the device.

https://forums.hak5.org/topic/42523-canon-connect-station-cs100/?page=3

Thanks again OP for the bargain alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

hi any idea of a cheapest 2.5" NAS caddy for the drive in this Yoke ?

or if anyone wants an unused in opened one for cost price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

hi any idea of a cheapest 2.5" NAS caddy for the drive in this Yoke ?

Starting at #263. The Mantistek with a 4-5 week wait is reduced to €6.98 until 14 Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

wallaby72 wrote: »
    It looks like there has been some success in getting samba working on the device.

https://forums.hak5.org/topic/42523-canon-connect-station-cs100/?page=3

Thanks again OP for the bargain alert.

I'm truly envious of those with the ability to decipher the above link :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

styron wrote: »
    Starting at #263. The Mantistek with a 4-5 week wait is reduced to €6.98 until 14 Feb.

looking for a network drive.

looking for a network drive.

Apologies, "caddy" short circuited the brain - much as "€6.98" had a few hours earlier to impulse buy a third mantistek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cingo

for all the guys striping for the HDD inside; (worth $90.99 @  dell.com and $62.50 @ amazon.com)
    Please note that it is a WD AV-25 WD10JUCT - Hard drive - 1 TB
    I picked this up from some site;
    WD AV: Audio/Video streaming
    In many ways, the WD AV drive is similar to a WD Purple drive in that is designed for streaming audio and video in a 24/7 environment.
    Unlike WD Purple drives, the WD AV drives are optimized for streaming content from the drive, rather than streaming surveillance footage to the drive.
    The WD AV drives do not feature any advanced vibration protection which means you should not use more than one or two drives in a system. They are fairly low performance, but are very quiet and have a fairly low power draw. Specifically, WD recommends them for use in set-top boxes, media servers, and media centers.

the spec sheet @  products.wdc.com/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771362.pdf
    24x7 reliability - These drives are designed to last in always-on streaming digital audio/video environments such as DVR/PVR, digital video surveillance and other demanding multimedia applications.
    Optimized for smooth, continuous digital video playback of up to five simultaneous HD streams.
    SilkStream is compatible with the ATA streaming command set so AV customers can use standard streaming management and error recovery options.
    Quiet - Noise levels have been minimized to virtually below the threshold of human hearing.
    Low power consumption - The drive draws less than 2W while operating and a mere 4.75W during spin up.
    3-year limited warranty.
    since it is READ friendly and not WRITE friendly , would it be reliable for other non-AV data and OS daily usage as primary disk in laptops?
    Please discus.

cingo wrote: »
    since it is READ friendly and not WRITE friendly , would it be reliable for other non-AV data and OS daily usage as primary disk in laptops?
    Please discus.

For decent performance use ssd drive as primary disk in any system, especially now when prices seems to start going down finally. Recommended for laptops where you can't have fast 7200 hdd or high performance cpu and power consumption is also a factor.

I myself use these Canon's 1TB drives as backup storage in USB-powered 2.5" case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Looks like gus from hak5.org didn't give up and still trying to make the whole thing useful.

https://forums.hak5.org/topic/42523-canon-connect-station-cs100/?page=4

https://github.com/dtrigo/canon-cs100/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

zom wrote: »
    For decent performance use ssd drive as primary disk in any system, especially now when prices seems to start going down finally. Recommended for laptops where you can't have fast 7200 hdd or high performance cpu and power consumption is also a factor.

I myself use these Canon's 1TB drives as backup storage in USB-powered 2.5" case.

I mean almost every cheap laptop will come with a better 1TB drive as standard which will be faster and better for purpose than this drive. Absolutely go the SSD route if possible. I wouldn't want to use this as a laptop drive, but if push came to shove I'd have no problem using it on a non-essential machine.

But for me it'll be a backup of a backup which I will connect to my raspberry pi to share out over my network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

My Mantistek caddy finally arrived, but now my PC won't recognise the drive. Tried it in another caddy, and still nothing.:confused:

sugarman wrote: »
    You need to format it, theres a link to a guide somewhere in this thread.

Thanks, found the link. Now to get a laptop to fire the drive into to get it formatted.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Looks like gus from hak5.org didn't give up and still trying to make the whole thing useful.

https://forums.hak5.org/topic/42523-canon-connect-station-cs100/?page=4

https://github.com/dtrigo/canon-cs100/

looks like nothing came of that in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

glasso wrote: »
    looks like nothing came of that in the end.
    ?
    looks like they got debian installed on it

tphase wrote: »
    ?
    looks like they got debian installed on it

installed yes but the guy said that it runs like crap and couldn't access partitions.

glasso wrote: »
    installed yes but the guy said that it runs like crap and couldn't access partitions.

Sigma Design processors (or rather SOCs) can hardly support android so I would not expect any good performance on debian. These are chips for fridges or microwaves not computers ;)

Even their website is a joke: https://www.sigmadesigns.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Anyone try to get one of the ptz cameras to record to the box? Is that even possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

The IRISTA storage with this device is being cancelled.

You can email them at irista.voucher@promotion-support.com regarding compensation for the cancelled voucher. Just sent it off, I found my voucher code in an email.

https://irista-voucher.sales-promotions.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭TheWatcher182

dingding wrote: »
    The IRISTA storage with this device is being cancelled.

You can email them at irista.voucher@promotion-support.com regarding compensation for the cancelled voucher. Just sent it off, I found my voucher code in an email.

https://irista-voucher.sales-promotions.com/

Thanks. Any idea on how much compensation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Email sent as well

Strangely enough got 2 months free Adobe lightroom 1TB in email about closure of services.

'Safely store your downloaded images with Adobe Lightroom (1TB) and enjoy a complimentary 2-month membership***. You can use up to 1 terabyte of storage, as well as edit, organise and share your photos from anywhere'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mine was never taken out of the box. Am I too late to use it? ;)

Anyone want a BNIB irista.? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This goes down as one of the worst bargains ever. The actual product was a heap of junk and uploading to Irista was a total pain in the ass.

I ripped the hard drive out of the box, it's now sitting in a drawer somewhere, and now Irista is gone. Utter waste of time and money.

So, par for the course with the BA forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Donkey OTae

This goes down as one of the worst bargains ever. The actual product was a heap of junk and uploading to Irista was a total pain in the ass.

I ripped the hard drive out of the box, it's now sitting in a drawer somewhere, and now Irista is gone. Utter waste of time and money.

Crikey; getting the HDD out of the Canon yoke was like something out of Mission Impossible. My swear jar was overflowing after doing it. I put the HDD into a linux tv box to record with. (knock on wood) its been going well for around 2 years or so.

I've been using the HDD drive for the last year, the AAA batteries from the remote were handy, and did it come with a hdmi cable?

I still must throw all the hardware in the bin though. The box was useless in that you couldn't retrieve raw files from it. I also just missed out on the irista offer with it, bit I had/have 100gb free there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Mine was never taken out of the box. Am I too late to use it? ;)

Anyone want a BNIB irista.? :D

SNAP. just seen it earlier sitting under a chair at the dining table. Never broke the seal. Too bloody impulsive. Period.

dodzy wrote: »
    SNAP. just seen it earlier sitting under a chair at the dining table. Never broke the seal. Too bloody impulsive. Period.

I planned on setting it up in my new house..a year ago.

Looks like I've just to strip out the HD. I need a new one
    Will they fit in an enclosure?

Never even opened the box it came in. Must get around to it.
    It can still be used to pass photos etc to it from the phone yeah?

• Advertisement

Never even opened the box it came in. Must get around to it.
    It can still be used to pass photos etc to it from the phone yeah?

It'll still take pictures from your phone and camera, save them to the HDD, show them on your TV, show them on your phone and pc on the same network, and allow you to share them through canon image gateway to all your friends with connect stations. You just want get online storage with irista.

Typing that out reminds me how this was such a good concept, but they made a mess of the implantation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Crikey; getting the HDD out of the Canon yoke was like something out of Mission Impossible. My swear jar was overflowing after doing it. I put the HDD into a linux tv box to record with. (knock on wood) its been going well for around 2 years or so.

Luckily I had a set of those special screwdrivers but even then there was a lot of jimmying and prying required.
    McGaggs wrote: »
    Typing that out reminds me how this was such a good concept, but they made a mess of the implantation.

Yep, I remember reading the blurb and thinking, this is EXACTLY what I need to organise and actually look at my photos. A great idea, good hardware, completely ruined by the UI. A real shame.

It'll still take pictures from your phone and camera, save them to the HDD, show them on your TV, show them on your phone and pc on the same network, and allow you to share them through canon image gateway to all your friends with connect stations.

Sounds like a reason not to strip out the HD.:)

Luckily I had a set of those special screwdrivers but even then there was a lot of jimmying and prying required.

Yep, I remember reading the blurb and thinking, this is EXACTLY what I need to organise and actually look at my photos. A great idea, good hardware, completely ruined by the UI. A real shame.

I remember thinking It'd be great, set it up by the TV. As soon as I get in from taking pictures I can put the camera on top of it and allow it to do a backup, and be able to view the pictures on the TV. Right, time to edit and hey the pictures on my PC. Oh, it only sends jpegs, not RAW files. What idiot decided that you could put files onto it, but not be able to get them back out?

I could've lived with the browser based network UI, but that one flaw was too much.

I . Oh, it only sends jpegs, not RAW files. What idiot decided that you could put files onto it, but not be able to get them back out?

Ok.plan b ..strip out the HD and get a caddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

Ok.plan b ..strip out the HD and get a caddy.
    that was my plan A :)

I picked up a couple of these from mymemory, perfect for the job

https://www.mymemory.ie/startech-2-5-aluminium-usb-3-0-external-sata-iii-ssd-enclosure.html

• Advertisement

2.4mm flathead from one of these cheap Dealz/2euro precision sets

dSZY3A9.jpg

... with a pliers for extra leverage does the trick nicely.

Did anyone get response back for compensation?

Did anyone get response back for compensation?

Got an email today. My code is not eligible for compensation.

Got an email today. My code is not eligible for compensation.

same here lol

Took my hd out and put in a caddy. Took 10minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

This was me taking the drive out of it

I still haven't turned this on. Have to get to it.
    Once pictures are passed to it, they can be viewed on the PC/ phone yeah?
    Can they be taken off it again easily?

Finally got around to setting the unit up.
    Updated the firmware to latest.
    Connected to the wifi.
    I downloaded the Canon connect station app and once launched, it immediately starts scanning for a connect station but always says it cannot find any.

I restarted the CS100 but still nothing appears on the app.
    Anyone had this and resolved it? Has the app been wound down like Irista?

Remember to download all your files from their cloud service as it closes in a couple of days.

Remember to download all your files from their cloud service as it closes in a couple of days.

https://www.irista.com/
    Sadly, we’ve decided to close Irista on January 31, 2020. You can continue to access to your photos until the service closes. Please sign in to download them before this date.

Advertisement