Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Michael Jackson

Options
  • 06-01-2005 4:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

I can see this thread developing into a do you think he's guilty thread,but as a huge Michael Jackson Fan I feel its my duty to post in here about him :) . He has shaped the modern music industry into what it is today.He can be sloted into all three genres of Soul,RnB,and funk and many more including Pop and Rock. soul and funk from his earlier days to the thriller era and Pop/RnB from the Bad era to the present day.I realy love his music, He puts so much into every song. Are there any other MJ fans here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Not a fan. I just wanted to say it was nice to see a thread with "Michael Jackson" in the title, and it be about music for once...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Loved the Jackson 5 stuff, loved his own stuff up to and including Thriller. Absolute Genius, really just remarkable timeless music. I even remember when the premiere of the Thriller video was shown and eveybody gathering around the telly to watch.

Just worry about the guy now, find it hard to listen to his music without being distracted by the "issues" in his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Does anyone remember Motown 25 when he performed Billie Jean and did the moonwalk for the very first time. Unfortunatly I wasnt born when it happened but ive seen the performance on some of his dvd's. Truly amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I love off the wall and thriller. After that it wasn't as good, but still good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Shane Smith

I've always been a fan :eek: (even though being an MJ fan isn't :cool:), just bought his Ultimate Box Set and have a few other albums as well.

Have to say despite the gobal criticism of his recent stuff, he can still conjure up some excellent tracks. I am also of the opinion that the resemblences between MJ & his offspring are uncanny (Britney, Justin, Backstreet Boys and the rest of that cesspit).

Don't really know what to make of the whole black/white/nose jobs/allegations but I suppose time will tell... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah I absolutely adore his music - I had the boxset sent to me the day it came out. I also have every album and every DVD pretty much. His music is incredible - but he truly did "throw a wobbler" with 'Invincible' which wasn't of a great standard, especially when considering his back catalogue.

Having said that - 'Thriller' is probably the greatest album I've ever heard, whilst I'm also a huge fan of 'Dangerous', and it is this mesmerising music which I will be forever indebted to Michael Jackson for.

I know it's horrible but...sometimes I wonder if it would be better if he had stopped recording after 1991.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Shane Smith

Indeed! I think the story with Invincible was that her accused Sony of being racist (!) and not promoting it to the fullest. Dangerous is one class album bar the odd wierd tune!

I think he was ahead of his time (Dangerous was 1992) and he was doing the whole Funky Verse/Bridge/Big Chorus Tune with guest rappers for years before the like of J-Lo (aargh!) and Nelly and the rest.

I'm sure someone has something to say about his court case but it'd be nice if this wasn't hijacked and stayed on the general theme.

Genius? In my opinion, textbook definition!

NoelRock wrote:
    I know it's horrible but...sometimes I wonder if it would be better if he had stopped recording after 1991.

Off The Wall: 19 million
    Thriller: 59 million
    Bad: 28 million
    Dangerous: 29 million
    HIStory: 18 million double albums (36 million disks).
    Blood On The Dance Floor: 6 million
    Invincible: 8 million
    Number Ones: 4 million

I think HIStory & Invincible were a great albums. The Earth Song from HISTory is to my knoledge his biggest selling single! Invincible was a bit of a flop when compared to the likes of Thriller but 8 million records is still a sucess. Most modern artists still wouldnt be able to sell that many. Invincible had plenty of great songs Hearbreaker, Invincible, Unbreakable, Heaven Can Wait, Butterflys,You Rock My World etc. He still has the ability to create great music at the age of 46 which is impressive. "We've Had Enough" recored in 2004, from "The Ultimate Collection" is one of my favourite songs he has!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

""We've Had Enough" recored in 2004, from "The Ultimate Collection" is one of my favourite songs he has!"

Yeah that is a stunning song alright - clearly the stand out from the album. 'Beautiful Girl' and such though are just sentimental C-List trash worthy of a Pop Idol singer though...

Subsequently...Dangerous was released in 1991 and was, in my opinion, his last truly great album. Yeah Shane, 'Dangerous' seems to be one of the first albums employing these techniques alright - have you heard the demo version of 'Earth Song' that was originally destined for 'Dangerous'? Very strange, not as good at all - it was originally to be called 'What About Us' if I recall correctly...

"but 8 million records is still a sucess. Most modern artists still wouldnt be able to sell that many."

Yes, but this is Michael Jackson, he should've been able to stay a league above 'most modern artists'. He made some ridiculous decisions (e.g. disregarding the tracks produced with Pharrell Williams, which I have heard and they EASILY dwarf anything on Invincible). For Michael Jackson, 8 million records is a failure - no matter how many pairs of rose-tinted glasses you wear.

Invincible was good - don't get me wrong, but it could've *easily* been a 10-11 track album. This was definitely a case of quantity over quality. The same problem occured with 'History' - he had some incredible standout tracks 'Stranger In Moscow'/'They Don't Care about Us' - yet he had some incredibly average songs alongside them.

Penultimately, the only reason 'Earth Song' sold so many singles was simply because during the Thriller/Bad era, Michael Jackson singles didn't go down as well as most people had already bought the album instead. With Earth Song (released during Christmas week?), this was certainly not the case.

Finally - I'll pose a question to shake this thread up a bit - which song would you like to have seen released as a single that wasn't?

Who is it?, We've Had Enough, You Can't Win or Sunset Driver

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 funkyniff

my fav song eva is man in the mirror..i remember when i was about 4 dancing to a mirror singing....(not really understanding the context of the song obviously)
    i used to love micheal jackson and still love his old stuff..even up to history
    and loved seeing him in wemberly he was the size of a pin head (was so far away)but it was brill!!
    (i get annoyed when fans say hes not guilty...i know every one is innocent till proven guilty but i am neither here nore there. i dont even know if a court will decide correctly.. but thats enought of that its about the music)

but i think his music just isnt what it used to be

Its just a change in style from Disco/soul to a more of an RnB style. All of his music is like no other. He used to have alot more energy in his voice but he has less energy in his now which is a product of ageing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Housi

Oul Michael. Love the man.

Its a shame that Sony decided to promote a Bad reject 'Cheater' rather than the excellent 'We've Had Enough'. It's better than anything he's done in the 90's and there aren't many singers that can pull off a power anthem. The shameless ad-libs at the end pack so much strenght even if it is apparent that his voice is fading. It's a shame that he probably won't play it live and even if he did he'd just mime it. Damn, some people shouldn't get old.

Invincible was a disaster. Less of the 'Lost Children' and 'Privacy' please. It's old and boring. The dance tracks sounded too similar and were difficult to dance to though the ballads were pretty good. Break of Dawn and Butterflies are strong songs and should've been released as singles, at least in Europe.

So much talent. It just seems to have gone to waste with schmaltz and complaint songs. He should finish up with one more album with an objective producer. No yes men licking his ****.

Hope to Christ the man is innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

i do think his music is great but all the other stuff stops me from gettin his cds...pity, that

*adele* wrote:
    i do think his music is great but all the other stuff stops me from gettin his cds...pity, that
    You should try reading a little bit about him, ive read his biography by J. Randy Taraborrelli called "Michael Jackson:The Magic & The Madness" which is truly a great read. He's not all that strange considering that he's been famous since he was a child!! In his biography it goes into detail about alot of the roumours and dismisses alot of them. Most of it was publicity. Im trying to stay on the musical side of it all but let me end with two things.
    1. I am 99.99% sure that hes innocent! (I know this from talking to people very close to him, including one of Michael Jackson's best friends & make up artist Karen Faye, and also by reading about the case)
    2. Read about him if you are put off his music by the allogations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah, I read that book. Very Interesting. All the stuff that happened to him throughout the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

I think the man is a flawed genius. I've loved his music from when I was 9 or 10. My aunt gave me one of those old tape recorders and on one of the tapes she gave me was beat it! I played it over and over again....

I remember seeing the video for the first time - I was mesmerized by the dancing. Loved off the wall, thriller and bad...after that not sure....there are some gems but they don't seem to match up to anything from those first 3 solo albums.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Love his Music, brilliant stuff.
    As for his personal issues, I reckon after Thriller he has never been the full shilling so God only knows what hes let himself do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Only Human wrote:
    Does anyone remember Motown 25 when he performed Billie Jean and did the moonwalk for the very first time.

i'm not a huge fan but that definately was his peak moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

I'm a huge MJ fan. He's definately a genius. His singing when he was in the Jackson 5 was totally amazing, check out "Who's lovin' you" for example......
    If he hadn't went off the rails he would've been bigger than Elvis, I've no doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Admitedly, from "History" onwards I think his creativety has somewhat vanished but thats no wonder I suppose considering the fact that he is sued by everybody from everywhere. Being a musician myself, I couldnt write good material under such pressure.

I felt so sorry for him when the last single was called "One more chance" if I recall correctly.

Innocent or guilty - whatever comes out of his trial: His carreer is over.

Yes, selling 8 million copies for his Nr.1´s album is a success but not in Michael Jackson proportions.

He gave me literally years of entertainment and in my opinion he is the king of pop, always has been.

It is very sad in which context he is to be seen on the telly nowadays. :(

Advertisement