Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taped up sensor on 2016 Leaf?

Options
  • 06-04-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Yesterday i noticed a piece of tape covering a slit hole next to the map lights and the sun glasses holder in my 2016 Acenta leaf.

In the manual it mentions the sun glasses holder and the maps lights, i cannot find anything in the manual that directly refers to the covered hole.

The key to knowing why the previous owner did this and why is in knowing what function it has?

If nobody on here knows what it is for then i will remove it and see what difference it makes....

Maybe i might get more range if i remove it :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭obi604

Yesterday i noticed a piece of tape covering a slit hole next to the map lights and the sun glasses holder in my 2016 Acenta leaf.

In the manual it mentions the sun glasses holder and the maps lights, i cannot find anything in the manual that directly refers to the covered hole.

The key to knowing why the previous owner did this and why is in knowing what function it has?

If nobody on here knows what it is for then i will remove it and see what difference it makes....

Maybe i might get more range if i remove it :pac:

mine just kinda flops down when I press the button, stays up fine but flops down when I open.

Maybe the catch is fully broken on yours and falls down if not taped. and previous owner had to tape up

EDIT: ignore my post, im referring to something else other than you asked :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is that not just an internal ambient light?
    Maybe the owner done a lot of night driving and didn’t like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

obi604 wrote:
    mine just kinda flops down

Sorry for your trouble :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭D Dastardly

Looking again in the manual I find that it is described as a hands-free phone system microphone on page 11.

I can only guess that the previous owner was a bit paranoid and possibly thought their conversations were being recorded ;-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Looking again in the manual I find that it is described as a hands-free phone system microphone on page 11.

I can only guess that the previous owner was a bit paranoid and possibly thought their conversations were being recorded ;-D

Was there a tin foil trilby in the boot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Alarm motions sensor? Taped to stop dog setting off or something?

hurikane wrote: »
    Alarm motions sensor? Taped to stop dog setting off or something?

The Leaf has a specific button you pressed to disable the internal sensors for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I thought that this was the indicator that the automatic lights had engaged. When its off you are on the daylight running lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Its a microphone

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

It is the microphone for the bluetooth phone system...
    Capture.jpg

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Gumbo wrote: »

^ This

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It's the LED that lights up the gear selector at night. Pull the tape off and you'll notice the difference in the dark. It's not always welcome, which is why the previous owner covered it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭D Dastardly

I tried it at night and it is indeed a LED , i was thinking it could be a mic or a sensor but no, i dont know why Nissan would think that this is necessary though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I believe all Nissans have this.

Theres one in my Navara.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I tried it at night and it is indeed a LED , i was thinking it could a mic or a sensor but no, i dont know why Nissan would think that this is necessary though.

Like I said last week :)

The reason its there is for background ambient lighting. Every car that I can think of has it, not just Nissan. My BMW's also have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

n97 mini wrote: »
    It's the LED that lights up the gear selector at night. Pull the tape off and you'll notice the difference in the dark. It's not always welcome, which is why the previous owner covered it up.
    Bloody similar yoke in an Avensis I had for a short time, it was orange and it drove me spare, I like a completely dark car inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Never noticed one in my avensis maybe depends on spec.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Bloody similar yoke in an Avensis I had for a short time, it was orange and it drove me spare, I like a completely dark car inside.

It’s not bright.
    You couldn’t read a book with it or a newspaper for that matter.

ofcork wrote: »
    Never noticed one in my avensis maybe depends on spec.

05 was the junker I was driving. Wheel trims, ball hitch, MN plate, it certainly wasn't a trim thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

CoBo55 wrote: »

Maybe 10 years ago they started to appear in a lot of new cars. Our (2011) Prius had one, my aunt's Civic had one, etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I always meant to tape it up in the Leaf. It annoyed me enough to plan to do so, but not enough to actually get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭adunis

So I'm guessing all you guys have zero interest in ambient cabin lighting then?. personally I love it whesther simple overhead or full on wraparound/footwells,all turned down to absolute minimum just like my dashlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have no issue with some ambient lighting if it's subtle. But I found that little slot on the Leaf distracting.

Is this thread still going? Another one to be unfollowed..

Advertisement