Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protecting newly refurbished alloys

• 12-03-2020 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Just collecting my refurbished powder coated bmw rims today, what are yous guys using to protect freshly painted rims? Is it ok to apply sealant when the paint is that fresh or is it better to wait a few day’s?
    Also is it ok to use AG extra gloss protection or Fusso was or carnauba meguiars wax? I think I’ve also got collinite paste wax ?
    Which would be the best to use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

weekaizer wrote: »
    Just collecting my refurbished powder coated bmw rims today, what are yous guys using to protect freshly painted rims? Is it ok to apply sealant when the paint is that fresh or is it better to wait a few day’s?
    Also is it ok to use AG extra gloss protection or Fusso was or carnauba meguiars wax? I think I’ve also got collinite paste wax ?
    Which would be the best to use?

Should be ok to seal them straight away as they were most likely stove enamelled.

Of the products you have above I would use 2 light coats of Fusso 24 hours apart if possible, ( If not then try give 6 hours apart )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Choose who you get to change your tyres next time wisely. Wheels on my car have been powder coated badly, everytime I get tyres more of the paint chips off :( I plan to get the refurbished before the year is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

IMO the best thing to do with newly refurbished alloys is coat them with either Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour or CarPro DLUX. Make sure that you fully decontaminate them beforehand regardless of the fact that they are newly done.

Yes you could do as vectra suggested but with my suggestion you can do that at a later stage on top of the coating if needs be.

You've spent a lot of money getting them done so spend a little more and have them protected for 2 years at least. To prolong the coating and the new paint, use Bilt Hamber AutoWheel - Spray on, leave for 3 minutes and pressure wash off. This will work like a dream once you have a coating on them and also reduces any chance of scratching or marring since you don't need to use any sort of brush on them.

Send pics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭JamBur

I've a set of wheels in for a refurb in Cork. They said they can't match the OEM colour. They only offer about 6 colour options, the one I've gone for is alot darker silver then I would like to be honest.

How happy are you with the refurb?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

JamBur wrote: »
    I've a set of wheels in for a refurb in Cork. They said they can't match the OEM colour. They only offer about 6 colour options, the one I've gone for is alot darker silver then I would like to be honest.

How happy are you with the refurb?

I’m delighted with how mine turned out , looks like original colour to me. Pic attached of how they turned out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Avoid kerbs and potholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Cerco

weekaizer wrote: »
    I’m delighted with how mine turned out , looks like original colour to me. Pic attached of how they turned out!

Look great. Where do you get them done?

Advertisement