Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Is that car not Carbon Black no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

myshirt wrote: »
    Is that car not Carbon Black no?

Carbon Black doesnt have too much if any flake!!
    It does look like CB in the photo, but as it doesn't have flake I guess Sapphire!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

How do I ascertain the colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

How do I ascertain the colour?

There should be a sticker on the driver's door edge or on the frame behind it, also check the suspension towers in the engine bay. Here is a list of the E60 paint codes:

Orient Blue..........317
    Olivine................349
    Titanium Silver....354
    Oxford Green II...430
    Black Sapphire....475
    Chiaretto Red......894
    Mystic Blue.........A07
    Silver Grey\........A08
    Amethyst Grey....A09
    Titan Grey II.......A36
    Alpine White III...300
    Black II...............668

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Well I got my stuff from Dave today and had a few mins to have a go of some of my lovely new stuff :D

No one told me snow foam was so much fun I could have done that all day :o
    Very impressed with its cleaning capabilities too.

I have to take back my skepticism about Iron cleanse, It is very very good (fooking stinks though), Still wish I really knew how it worked but it definitely works.

AOC Perfection seams to be super too, smells class as well, I don't know how I resisted the temptation to drink it:o.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Bonnet and Roof polished with a medium compound. Fingers crossed I can find some shadows tomorrow to do the boot, doors and arches.

Ill pop up some pics in the morning. Only finished an hour ago and twas getting dark

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No, no red paint on or near car. There is clearly a red flake throughout the entire car's paint work though.... You can only see it up very close and you have to really look hard.
    That's just the fleck in the paint :) It's actually amazing the first time you see it after a proper detail, because usually the car is never clean enough to notice - it just looks dull and black.

No idea about the paint coming off while claying though.... are you sure?
    Car looks great etc but all the stone chips all over the front bumper and bonnet, which were not really visible before, are standing out so much now that it is all I can see.

How do I address this? Is it possible by hand? Do I need to clay the area again before correcting this?

Thanks!

Unfortunately thats the one downside of detailing. The cleaner the car is, the more obvious the imperfections (like stone chips) are. Dirt tends to cover them up and mask them rather well. The downside then is the car is filthy :P

The way to fix it, is buy something like Dr.Colorchips, and yes the car should be clayed before attempting to fill the chips :)

It's just about done, I want to give it one coat of OAC Perfection tomorrow and put on some Megs Endurance tyre gel. Then there'll be pics.

Ok... so actual life got in the way, only got around to this today. As there was a bit going on between its wax and today, a fair amount of dust had landed on the car and stuck, so just lashing on perfection wasn't a good idea. Back out with the hose and bucket...

Tyres were sorted first, quick brush down and endurance gel applied.

Gave it a quick 1BM :pac: I checked before hand to see how much dust was actually on the car, it didn't require 2BM :) Out with my new favorite drying towel again.... another stupidly awesome job. It's actually a joy to dry the car now :D

Then came OAC Perfection, and as has been said again and again.... it smells delicious! Gave every part of the car a going over with it, and as seems to be the case with OAC products.... there's no fuss and no stress, it just works.

Anyway, I think I'll let the pictures do the talking from here...

0h8BfE0.jpg

JUksngx.jpg

0d8L1D1.jpg

NSnZtuU.jpg

Q8Eyf8u.jpg

Yiz will have to wait for natural sunlight pics... :D However, quite a number of people have already asked if we got a new car.... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I have to take back my skepticism about Iron cleanse, It is very very good (fooking stinks though), Still wish I really knew how it worked but it definitely works.

From what I've been able to figure out from people's description of it working and some research of iron chemistry it looks like they work in a similar fashion to the bodywork rust removers.

In the environment, iron is going to oxidise pretty quickly no matter what it's stuck to, and small particles are going to do this so much faster.

These products have some sort of phosphoric acid or acidic phosphate compounds which react with iron(III) oxide and convert it to one of the iron phosphates.

Iron(III) oxide is the stable form of iron oxide and is very tenacious at sticking to things, paintwork and concrete in particular. The other iron oxide (iron(II) oxide) is quite porous and unstable and doesn't last that long.

Iron phosphate compounds tend to be flaky or water soluble and are easily removed from whatever they're attached to.

This is also why coke works as a rust remover: it contains phosphoric acid in low concentrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I typically wash and hoover the car every fortnight as it does get dirty and I do take some pride in a clean car. However its last wash was over two months ago and I finally have time to myself soo...

The target.
    DSC_0033_zpsa951590f.jpg
    :o

My loadout:D
    DSC_0034_zpsa78dca20.jpg

Will upload the results when Im finished as Ill be doing a little more beside the cleaning job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

First weekend off in a while, so yesterday evening set about a spruce up.
    • Started with wheels using Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels. No agitation required, just power washed the dust and dirt away. Awesome product.
    • Bodywork next with CleanCar's own brand Snow Foam left to dwell for five to seven minutes. Rinsed down and car taken for a quick spin to blow the water off.
    • With the car dry, went over the paintwork with Meguair's Ultimate Quik Wax and tided up any streaking with Kleers Microfibre Mist Spray. Dressed tyres & sealed wheels with Kleers relevant products.
    • Fitted OEM centre caps to the 3SDM wheels as one of the centre caps had a chip in it.

The results...

IMG_6147_zps5d728212.jpg

IMG_6151_zps851b92d4.jpg

IMG_6153_zps375bd702.jpg

IMG_6152_zpsab0b7b65.jpg

Do not let the suncream get on the paint, you have been warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭allinthehead

washed car with AG bodywork shampoo and waxed with AG HD wax.
    hoovered and cleaned inside. tyres dressed with megs endurance gel.

8F320A4B-B37A-4F47-AEEC-92AA9D84EB56-197-000000119EA6E8D9.jpg

A1B211E5-8DAA-447F-A7EE-23C8C50A3826-197-000000115D96BAB8.jpg

6274443C-84E0-4240-9D2D-45888E63AE09-197-00000011AEF22DCC.jpg

C000AF42-A8C9-42AC-90E0-5C3DE102ECD4-197-00000011C1591253.jpg

544124EA-8387-43EA-AA08-5786105AC59A-197-00000011C95A5E8E.jpg

252AF380-57CE-4C97-B65E-84EDF73BEE14-197-0000001169432026.jpg

93DBBFA2-990C-4370-8227-268AECF95386-197-0000001178A52C7F.jpg

1CBDAAEA-E578-448F-9467-5FA56B1E12F9-197-0000001171AAA707.jpg

ECFADD38-CBCA-40CC-96E4-33DE065D7AB9-197-000000118A446DD1.jpg

6E1C3CC8-0A73-45A1-9B59-E347A619A69C-197-0000001199335955.jpg

cleaned the leather a couple of days ago with gliptone. really is great stuff. they look like they just came from the factory.

before
    B2A0A6E3-0BD5-4618-AB91-C53497330FC8-4336-00000290273A8226.jpg

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Quick wash today, finding it hard to keep her clean in this dry/dusty weather.Having way too much fun on the roads. :D

20130720_183047_zpsb05105b0.jpg?t=1374343778

Time for a well earned break.. Car washed, de-tarred, t cutted with t cut red, ive just gone over the battle scars with a B76 touch up paint. Will be waxing the car and polishing the windows next. Ive done up a set of Silverstone alloy wheels for later and removed the headlamps(Thatll be a surprise:) ) Seats are coming out for access to the crumbs and coins.
    MetzgerMeister, what does the sun cream do to paint? Ive not got any on it, and am glad someone spotted it:D but just wondering does it do the same thing as make up?

I don't know if it will come out if you rub it immediately but if it's let dry in, it's a nightmare to get out. I tried several different things on a customer's car - clay, iron cleanse, tar remover, IPA and nothing would shift it. I had no D/A or rotary polisher at the time but I think you can only remove it with them.

allinthehead - looks excellent!! Are you missing a mesh grille under the front numberplate by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭allinthehead

allinthehead - looks excellent!! Are you missing a mesh grille under the front numberplate by any chance?

just the pic. i see what you mean tho

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

I don't know if it will come out if you rub it immediately but if it's let dry in, it's a nightmare to get out. I tried several different things on a customer's car - clay, iron cleanse, tar remover, IPA and nothing would shift it. I had no D/A or rotary polisher at the time but I think you can only remove it with them.

Thanks MetzgerMeister, Ill keep that in mind in future.

Final pics, as promised :p

mY2ZDQA.jpg

xnPB9X5.jpg

13mnxnC.jpg

vQ84LZC.jpg

8hd7Z13.jpg

sa91hKd.jpg

IKIS5px.jpg

MxyazKY.jpg

28fXGpx.jpg

UD0hvm8.jpg

MIG67tw.jpg

DudhaGg.jpg

As you can see, fecking weather already causing dust to settle on the car!

• Advertisement

It's obvious it was never washed before, not a swirl mark in sight :pac:

Great work though and proof that you don't have to be such a lazy git all the time!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Got plenty done today on the car, no pics yet as I'm in the phone, will upload hopefully tomorrow.

Car was covered in complete crap from the last two days of over 400 miles, mainly a thick cloud of dust. Out with the power washer anyway and gave it a good once over with some PH neutral shampoo, since the car was waxed recently I was already off to a good start.

Drove it to dry it and then set to work giving it and the wheels a quick clay. Did a job on the exhaust while I was at it too. After the clay, I cleansed the paint and then a coat of AG SRP. Finally a layer of Megs Carnauba wax to top it off.

In between this I set to work on the inside with a detailed Hoover of the inside, washed the carpets with water and a brush then repeated this on the interior mats. Cleaned and polished all the door sills :D and then used saddle soap on the leather. Finished with AG fast glass on all the windows.

For the final touch I sealed the wheels and dressed them with Megs endurance tyre gel.

Busy day!

It's obvious it was never washed before, not a swirl mark in sight :pac:

Great work though and proof that you don't have to be such a lazy git all the time!!! :P

Lol. There's plenty of swirl marks, they just seem to hide from the camera :p TBH at some stage it needs a D/A, but there's a spot or two with laquer peel, so I'd be dubious about doing it myself tbh.

Seems like I'm in detailing mode with the fine weather... There's a BMW meet tomorrow in AIT though, as it's on my doorstep it'd be retarded not to go... and to go with a filthy car!

It's been ~2 weeks and roughly 1500 miles since it was washed, but thankfully it was all only dusty crap and flies due to the weather. Started with the wheels, used Turtle wax ICE wheel cleaner as usual...

htGbQhD.jpg

ogUGpZp.jpg

GzxcCAc.jpg

O49kw2c.jpg

S3jNGDH.jpg

i7H9cih.jpg

Once that was done, out with Citrus pre-clean 50:1 dilution, rinse, 2BM, rinse. Microfibre Madness Dry me crazy came out again, it's being broken in hard :D The HD wax from 2 weeks ago is still beading fine, so then gave it a going over with OAC Perfection to finish off.

JgJ19mo.jpg

LkD6N4W.jpg

ZFPlgSD.jpg

Quwndsv.jpg

I'll get to throw on some Megs endurance gel tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

166man wrote: »
    Got plenty done today on the car, no pics yet as I'm in the phone, will upload hopefully tomorrow.

Car was covered in complete crap from the last two days of over 400 miles, mainly a thick cloud of dust. Out with the power washer anyway and gave it a good once over with some PH neutral shampoo, since the car was waxed recently I was already off to a good start.

Drove it to dry it and then set to work giving it and the wheels a quick clay. Did a job on the exhaust while I was at it too. After the clay, I cleansed the paint and then a coat of AG SRP. Finally a layer of Megs Carnauba wax to top it off.

In between this I set to work on the inside with a detailed Hoover of the inside, washed the carpets with water and a brush then repeated this on the interior mats. Cleaned and polished all the door sills :D and then used saddle soap on the leather. Finished with AG fast glass on all the windows.

For the final touch I sealed the wheels and dressed them with Megs endurance tyre gel.

Busy day!

Yeah, you can bring my sealant when you come see the roadster. :p

The paint is lovely but I want to make it lovelier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Is this kind of thing even worth attempting if i've no experience?

If it isn't, does anyone have any idea what it might cost to have someone do this kind of work? My bonnet has quite a few stone chips and so does the front bumper.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It's worth a shot I think. Maybe fine an inconspicuous spot somewhere else on the car to practice on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

If you've experience with a machine polisher and have patience, then it is achievable.
    At minimum you'd need to have a machine polisher to use.

Finally finished! Also carried out a service and did a few other bits and bobs. One job Im proud if is that I removed these lights.
    DSC_0030_zps366e5c69.jpg
    I managed to dismantle them very painstakingly and sanded, then painted the outside reflector wirhin the mirror with hi heat paint. Removed bulb holders and did same. Also fitted upgrade bulbs.
    The result
    DSC_0036_zpsb1ddbd18.jpg
    Also did up and fitted a set of Silverstone alloys. Imo one of the nicest Wheels out there Just a pity theyre the softest:o.
    DSC_0043_zps57b1efb5.jpg
    And the rest!
    DSC_0037_zpsb789b7c4.jpg

DSC_0042-picsay_zps84a822fd.jpg

DSC_0041-picsay_zps8acfdf53.jpg

DSC_0035_zpsde7f16f6.jpg

DSC_0044_zpsfa96e590.jpg

DSC_0038_zpsb5810b79.jpg

Even the engine bay got some. I painted the engine mount and injectors rail cover to match the plastics. And I stuck a badge on the engine cover.
    DSC_0045_zpsfa87bd78.jpg

DSC_0040-picsay_zps8c4ec625.jpg

And daylight pics :P

WBxAPyD.jpg

YmhmJ0i.jpg

rhoUsge.jpg

• Advertisement

Nice BM :cool:

Advertisement