Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold fish

Options
  • 05-01-2020 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks,

We have a single gold fish in a fairly decent sized bowl. Just gravel and recently an ornament.

I’m not sure if it’s the fact I hadn’t noticed before but it seems to be just floating a lot more without actually swimming around, if that’s makes sense.

I just took a look at him in the bowl and the ends of two of the fins seem to be black. Now, this could be there all the time and I didn’t take any notice, or it’s new.

Any reason for concern? We generally change the water probably 3 times every two weeks, give the gravel and very thorough rinse and also use a dechlorinate additive for the water.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

A single goldfish needs to be in a minimum of 150 litre tank but ideally should be in a pond. Whatever the issue its only a matter of time till s/he dies. Goldfish are the most cruelly treated pets in the world. It amazes me how people think its OK to keep a fish in a small bowl
    Its disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

150 l for one fish?

When I bought the tank the chap in the shop said to only get one fish for the tank (I had planned on getting two). I would say my bowl is no more than 20l?

We had fish 150l fish tanks at home when I was younger and we often had 20 small hot water fish in them and they all lived a long time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Tropical fish require a hell of a lot less space than cold water fish. Yes 150l for one fish, 200l for two fish.

Unfortunately there are very few reputable fish shops around, they are in the business of making money, not animal welfare and working in these shops does not normally require any knowledge of the creatures they sell. If a big tank is beyond your budget or available space please consider rehoming to someone with a pond. Goldfish are supposed to grow to a foot in length when they have the space available to do so.

We actually do have a pond at my parents, would it be ok to rehome him there? I don’t think there are/have been fish in there for a few years. There could be a few frogs maybe.

I remember years ago we used to put them in a plastic bag in the pond in their own water for 20 mins to let the temperature match slowly, would that make sense?

That said I’d have no issue in getting a bigger tank if needs be.

It is not the best time of year given it is colder out and the fish would not be used to the cold but I think it would be better than the current circumstances. Is there a working pond filter in the pond? I hope someone with experience in pond fish will come along and give you some advice. Ive only ever had tropical fish myself.

Can I just say, its great to see someone come on here and accept the advice they are given.

• Advertisement

We’ve some what oddly grown a fondness for the fish.

We wanted a dog but with work it seems awfully unfair, so fish was the next option.

I think I’ll just get the bigger thank, I’ll go into a pet shop tomorrow for a look.

Re the pond filter I doubt it. There was before alright and there’s definitely some sort of functioning fountain. We spend a few pound on a few expensive goldfish about 10 years ago only for them to be the local herrons breakfast the next morning! (Literally)

If your in or near Dublin, folks on here used to always recommend Seahorse Aquariums. They'll be able to give you great advise as well as sell you what you need.

Advertisement