Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know whether to study abroad

Options
  • 15-12-2013 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I am in the second year of my degree studying media and business and as part of my course I can choose to study abroad for a year, and hence make it an International degree. I always presumed I was going to do it to enhance my degree. However, I'm not completely happy in my course as I don't know whether it is what I want to do or not. Should this have an effect on whether I choose to study abroad or not?

Even if I don't think I will pursue a career in either of these fields, should I take the year abroad anyway to make it look better on my CV and/ or give myself life experience? When I'm abroad I do not have to study media or business, I can choose whichever modules I want. But, when I come back from the year abroad, I would still have to finish out the third year of my degree (media and business)

BTW, I have never lived away from home before and am quite young. I'd love to hear other people's opinions on this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

It will definitely enhance your degree. Even if you do not want to pursue a career in either of those two fields abroad, you can choose to study subjects you're interested in on your year abroad. That way, if you decide to pursue a postgrad in a completely different area, you could draw attention to the subjects that you studied abroad in your postgrad applications.

A semester/year abroad is not going to be for everybody. It helps if you're already strong academically as then you won't have to keep up with too much work on your year abroad, and you'll feel more relaxed to join in on fun activities and travel opportunities. Erasmus really is a once in a lifetime opportunity for many people.. you may never get this chance to immerse yourself in another culture again, especially if you go straight into a career after University. There's also the financial incentive to go. I really don't understand why more people do not apply for these positions!!

It doesn't matter what age you are, as long as you are open to meeting new people and to experiencing a new culture, you'll be fine. It will also give you a great chance to experience living away from home for the first time, and you'll come back feeling more independent.

Many other students are in the same position as you. I reckon most of us choose our Degree subjects on a whim, and at a time in our lives when we don't have much life experience. I think a year abroad would be great for you, and you'll come back and finish off your final year with more vigour! I can't recommend it highly enough.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 horsemonkey

That's a great way to look at it, thanks very much! :)

Advertisement