Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recognition of schools??

Options
  • 16-01-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hello forum :),

I have been looking for an answer on this subject for a while, I have contact education, HeTac . HEA and the NQA and sadly they don't have an answer for me,, or at least couldn't give direction on the matter,,

so I pray someone here might have some direction or could offer help on the matter..

I am an Irish national and I have been abroad (outside of the EU zone) almost 15 years, and during this time

I got different level of education and qualification as undergrad and post graduate studies.

I am planning to return back to Ireland in the near future, and would like to know if all of my qualification is recognized by the EU and the Irish educational system, i.e. if I did apply for a job with my Masters of science or my BSC Engineering. it will be recognized as a valid qualification since the awarding body is not Irish or from the EU.

so what I am looking for is the list of recognized qualifications and awards (BA,BSC,MSC,PhD,M.phil,MA) that Ireland will accept if they are coming for a foreign bodies.

I have heard ages ago, that some people who might have moved to Ireland or attempted to continue their studies in Ireland that they needed to sit exams or few months on specific subjects to get the necessary qualification before they could commence their work/study.. but where is this being written or what is the list, that what i cannot find,,

thanks a lot for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NewVisitor

Hiya forum,,

any view on this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

NewVisitor wrote: »
    Hiya forum,,

any view on this please?

It might help if you state what country or countries you earned the awards in. Engineers Ireland are signatories to international agreements with foreign partner organisations, the Bollonga and Washington Accords are two, I'm not sure what the most recent one is. Even if engineers Ireland don't recognise you award or awarding body it doesn't mean HETAC (they have a new name now I think) won't. Engineers Ireland don't accreditate all engineering degrees in Ireland even if they are a HETAC level 7 or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Ging Ging wrote: »
    It might help if you state what country or countries you earned the awards in. Engineers Ireland are signatories to international agreements with foreign partner organisations, the Bollonga and Washington Accords are two, I'm not sure what the most recent one is. Even if engineers Ireland don't recognise you award or awarding body it doesn't mean HETAC (they have a new name now I think) won't. Engineers Ireland don't accreditate all engineering degrees in Ireland even if they are a HETAC level 7 or 8.

+1
    If where know your degree, institution and level of award it will be an easier question to answer.

hello,

thanks for the reply, I have degrees from few places in EU and outside of the EU,,
    but i am not clear why engineer Ireland would have this view and recognition of school when the Irish educational system wont, and this is being very specific case when recognition is from engineering perspective, what happen with other academic grading in economic, catering , medical? are their similar bodies to the Engineer Ireland?

thanks a lot

You want answers but you aren't providing enough information, very little infact so its unlikely anyone can help you unless you are more specific.

Engineers Ireland has mutual recognition with other national Engineering organisations in some other juristinctions. They form agreements called accords so that there is a clearer understanding of the complexity of content and the level of awarded degrees internationally and employers can refer the foreign degree to a local equivelant. Not all engineering degrees in Ireland are recognised by EI and these are generally (but not all) awarded as BSc rather than BEng. Ones that are not may not be recognised for some jobs at home and abroad. However thay may well be and it will be down to the employer or educational institution to decide.

Not all employers ask for EI accredited degrees. Some sectors require them more than other.

Coming from abroad with third level qualifications not accreditated to EI's international partners will mean one of two things; 1 the employer will not consider your application OR 2 the employer will not care about EI but will need to verify your degree is legit by other means.

A university or college here will make their own enquiries as to the status and validity of your qualifications independant of EI. Most likely they will contact the awarding body like HETAC in the relevant country. Not all international degrees are recognised as the degree or awarding may not be at the standard of Irish degrees.

If all degrees were recognised no questions asked, I could pay 50 euro for a Masters from some University on the otherside of the world nobody has heard of and I could get the job instead of students who put in real time and effort into their studies.

• Advertisement

hiya Ging ,,

you are missing my point,, I should be able to go to a place where I can easily find what universities are recognized in Ireland, If i get phD from Tokyo University and I want to take start lecturing in a respect college or university,
    It should be easy to find that yes collage X in Ireland will recognize this phd from that university,,

where does Hetac or HEA state or capture this information?

you are getting to the point i am trying to get, what are the basis to recognizing a qualification in the Irish system?

you see and receive a lot of online advertisement about Liverpool online MSc / MA and postgraduate studies,
    but when I contacted HEA and NQA,, they couldn't confirm if any course i would take from liverpool online would be recolonized in Ireland and part of their statement, it would actually back to the collage or university in Ireland, which i find very strange, as you would think that the HEA or NQA would be the rewarding bodies and setting the standard to which and what can be accepted,, even rewarding collages and universities like Trinity and UCD,,

I hope you are getting my view on this?

Advertisement