Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do in case of an Anthrax 'event'

• 18-10-2001 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭

Phone the Gardai.

Protocol for dealing with suspected anthrax in Ireland

http://www.doh.ie/pdfdocs/anthrax.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The only thing that reassures me about that piece of information is the fact that anthrax does not kill you straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What does anyone think about who might be doing it? The news said that the people probably had access to sophisticated equipment(Iraqis). Obviously they didn't have too much know-how though, 'cos if you were going to breed a baterium to kill thousands/millions of people, surely you would work hard at modifying/hybriding it to make it invincible against as many types of antibiotics as possible, and contagious through the air, but most of ones found have been found to be run of the mill anthrax. Still very deadly, but highly treatable, especially now when the world is on high alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

There was some guy on the radio last night (I think, it could have been lunch-time, only times when I'm in the house).
    Anyways, he said that the powder is too fine to be made by a bunch of terrorists in Afghanistan.
    For the bacteria to be lethal by inhalation the powder needs to be of a very precise size (i.e. down to the micron).
    Of course this is only in some cases, most of the powder is just too big and has to be touched for infection.

I think we should be looking at large countries that haven't had a scare yet. I guess Iraq is one of them that has the resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Gordon
    The only thing that reassures me about that piece of information is the fact that anthrax does not kill you straight away.

All well and good, but once you are showing symtoms, its too late.

All well and good, but once you are showing symtoms, its too late.
    I don't think so;the person that died in the states had gone too far yes and had the most potent infection-but if its not inhaled and is just a skin infection , its easily treated after the effects are obvious.
    It's likely imo to be an islamic extremist or group of them thats got their hands on the stuff from possibly Iraq and are sending it off their own bat-that would explain why its not as potent as it could be,ie it hasn't been modified by an expert in some lab or other.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Stop posting misinformed crap and go here:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/anthrax_g.htm

Al, your friendly neighbourhood bs-detector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Should an Anthrax event occur, I suggest you buy your tickets as soon as possible - despite low key PR over the past couple of years, they're still pretty damn popular, and the gigs are a lot of fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Aren't they changing the name to 'Basket of Kittens' or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

there was an anthrax scare on the north strand at the local td's office

i passed by on the bus into town today and to lads sitting behind me were shouting 'HOLD YOUR BREATH EVERYONE THAT PLACE HAS ANTHRAX' really pissed my off, how can people be so stupid.

Advertisement