Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to explain gap in employment due to mental health issues

• 20-05-2019 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Just looking for advice/get a pulse on how to handle a situation. I recently changed jobs (old job was a place I had worked for 4+years, and I had the beginnings of a good career). However in the lead-up to and in the initial weeks of my employment at the new job I got a very strong flair-up in my generalized anxiety disorder symptoms.

Without going into details, it was pretty bad for me, and my mental health took a big hit. I ended up quitting the job two weeks in - to save my life (that might sound dramatic but its true). I've had 6 weeks of illness benefit and I'm doing much better, I'm on meds, attending therapy etc.. I'm on the mend.

But I want to get back to work soon. And I don't want my career to suffer any further than it already has so I don't want too lengthy an absence from work. So I'm applying for a few roles.

My question is, how do I explain this event in my life to potential employers. Should I be frank and honest about my mental health issues. Or should I leave this whole thing out, and try to make up with some other reason for leaving my last job (and hope they don't do a background search and find out about the two week stint)... I'm afraid either way is not good. I would have referees who would vouch for me no problem, and I hope the 4 years shows I'm at least capable of being reliable. But still... I'm worried about what's best. If anyone has been in a similar situation, or has some thoughts, I would be open to hearing it.

Thanks.

TLDR: Had mental health issues which caused me to quit from a new job, wondering how to explain to potential employers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Tell them you took some time out to travel, or that you had to care for an elderly relative. I wouldn’t mention the mental health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wouldn't tell them about it tell them you were caring for a sick relative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,806 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tell them you took a career break to rest, spend time with friends and family and travel. You feel fresh, invigorated ready and rested to meet head on a new and exciting challenge and opportunity and that’s why you are here today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's not the 6 week gap I'd be worried about, it's the 2 weeks in a new company then you quit.
    I presume you'll have to mention it as it's on your p45? Or could you omit that bit?
    If I was an employer, the travel thing wouldn't wash with me. Things like that you plan better. If anything, it shows you're wreckless and not committed.
    Time out for a close family member would be better, but it's a tough one. Your past references will be key I reckon.

Best of luck and hope all goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Do not mention personal or mental health issues as it will guarantee you don't get the job.

Tell them you left to travel or to deal with some family issues which have now been resolved but it was only a short period and you could say you were simply looking for the right job to come up in that time and because it was only 6-8 weeks they might not even ask as that is not a n unreasonable time to be 'looking' for a new job.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,148 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just say you took some time off.

what would you think the odds are of it coming up again

what do you feel is fair on the employer

best of luck whichever way you choose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How would they know? No need to tell them anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm a manager in a company and interview people for positions every year. I've had people tell me about mental health issues and they still got the job because I felt they were the best candidate at the time.

That said, not all companies are the same, the company I work for is just very progressive in many ways. So, you can say you quit for medical reasons if you like and you may be required to do a fitness for work medical, or you could go down the road of saying you unexpectedly had to care for someone and had no choice but to quit....

You quit because you had to unexpectedly care for someone... yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Sure 6 weeks is nothing. Tell an auld fib, and well done on getting yourself back up and running so quickly. Shows tremendous resolve to be honest. There’s plenty of lads farting through life claiming to have mental health issues because they don’t want to work, or feel they deserve someone to give them something for nothing. You faced your challenge head on.

Such a small gap might not even register with them. Sure you could have just been job hunting in that time. Some people have much bigger gaps than that solely because they could not actually find work. Totally normal.

In fact most people I think on a CV do not put the actual dates of their start and end of work but just the months. Which likely will further reduce the gap. If you put something like June 2015 - April 2019 on a CV then the gap until now looks tiny even if you left on April 2nd.

If you feel you need to have something prepared though just in case - then I find telling the truth without telling the whole truth is much better than lying. Say you quit the job because you felt it was not a right fit for you at the time - and you took the time to settle yourself after that and to be sure of what you want going forward before you applied for another job so you were sure you would be ready.

Technically all of that is true from what you have described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its a shame that even after all the campaigns about mental health awareness people still feel they can't bring it up for being judged.
    There are many reasons you could give to explain the gap, from the job not being as you were lead to believe or as somebody else said you had care for somebody. Although it is so short they may not notice you don't want to trip yourself up with lies either.
    Personally I'd say that I was sick and had to take some time off to recuperate, you don't need to explain the specific illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 matthewo111

Hi folks,

Thanks for the advice on this. It looks like leaving it out and telling a white lie is the overwhelming favourite here. A little concerned still about whether I should mention the two weeks in the new place, p45s are not used any more and its on the employees to register through revenue website. I imagine if they did a background check they might find out. Anyway. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I wouldn't mention it to be honest. It's a red flag to most people while I can't see a reasonable way that a future employer would discover it. Play the percentages, much bigger chance of their being an issue if you are up front

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

I was out of work due to a bad accident years ago, 4 years of recovery from two prolapsed disc's, a pelvis which broke and 4 surgical procedures.

I said the good old had to look after a sick relative, did a few courses in between to keep my self busy.

It was fas courses, and a ce scheme for the last year and a half.

When on disability allowance, one could do a few fas courses and schemes back then.

Still in the same job 14 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Tell the truth or say you were off work for medical treatment you do not have to say exactly what medical treatment, you could have been having treatment for anything could have been anything.

It's not a good idea to think employers will have a problem with this its not good for your mental health employers may not have any issue with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Agree with others - don't mention it as the gap is so short it might not be noticed. You could have been off on holidays travelling or checking out the possibility of relocating to the uk or personal family reasons, there's any number of reasons for a 6/8 week gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

mariaalice wrote: »
    Tell the truth or say you were off work for medical treatment you do not have to say exactly what medical treatment, you could have been having treatment for anything could have been anything.

It's not a good idea to think employers will have a problem with this its not good for your mental health employers may not have any issue with it.

I would recommend not taking this advice.

An employer WILL seek to find out what medical issue you have had. That’s a given, they may even insist on a medical or psychiatric evaluation, which why the true but vague ‘caring for a loved one’ is a truthful and appropriate response. They WILL be less inclined to pry, probably respond with ‘well great, I hope they are doing better’..

look, you could do a really great interview... 9/10, be clearly the best and most desirable candidate and someone else 7/10 or 8/10. There will be employers out there who would rather the other guys as in their mind they won’t have had ‘history’ with illness and don’t want the ‘hassle’ in case problems might reoccur. They see recruiting as a hassle first off. Go with my advice, it’s truthful, you are under no obligation otherwise to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I'm a manager in a company and interview people for positions every year. I've had people tell me about mental health issues and they still got the job because I felt they were the best candidate at the time.

Would I be jumping to conclusions if I thought a mod for Motivation and Personal Development is probably a lot more understanding of issues like this than the average employer?

I reckon most employers would bin your CV upon reading about a mental health issue.

kowloon wrote: »
    Would I be jumping to conclusions if I thought a mod for Motivation and Personal Development is probably a lot more understanding of issues like this than the average employer?

I reckon most employers would bin your CV upon reading about a mental health issue.

Yes, I think they’d be the exception rather then the rule.

Strumms wrote: »
    An employer WILL seek to find out what medical issue you have had. That’s a given, they may even insist on a medical or psychiatric evaluation, which why the true but vague ‘caring for a loved one’ is a truthful and appropriate response. They WILL be less inclined to pry, probably respond with ‘well great, I hope they are doing better’..

look, you could do a really great interview... 9/10, be clearly the best and most desirable candidate and someone else 7/10 or 8/10. There will be employers out there who would rather the other guys as in their mind they won’t have had ‘history’ with illness and don’t want the ‘hassle’ in case problems might reoccur. They see recruiting as a hassle first off. Go with my advice, it’s truthful, you are under no obligation otherwise to them.

Its 6 weeks, not 6 years they do not have to say exactly what illness they have.

It's a tricky one OP. I think it depends on the position you are applying for. There are some roles that are very stressful and even triggering. Professions like paramedics, prison officers, frontline mental health services etc, even the full on nature of the legal world or trying to reach deadlines; They can test the resolve of even the most mentally healthiest. In fact forget about employers, you yourself need to be sure of your resilience and stability for any work like that.

However if you feel you have made huge progress and sufficiently manage your GAD then you may be able to instill the same confidence in a potential employer. I don't think hesitancy in telling necessarily needs to be connected to stigma though. There is the very real question of "will this person cope with such a role".

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Hi all,

Just looking for advice/get a pulse on how to handle a situation. I recently changed jobs (old job was a place I had worked for 4+years, and I had the beginnings of a good career). However in the lead-up to and in the initial weeks of my employment at the new job I got a very strong flair-up in my generalized anxiety disorder symptoms.

Without going into details, it was pretty bad for me, and my mental health took a big hit. I ended up quitting the job two weeks in - to save my life (that might sound dramatic but its true). I've had 6 weeks of illness benefit and I'm doing much better, I'm on meds, attending therapy etc.. I'm on the mend.

But I want to get back to work soon. And I don't want my career to suffer any further than it already has so I don't want too lengthy an absence from work. So I'm applying for a few roles.

My question is, how do I explain this event in my life to potential employers. Should I be frank and honest about my mental health issues. Or should I leave this whole thing out, and try to make up with some other reason for leaving my last job (and hope they don't do a background search and find out about the two week stint)... I'm afraid either way is not good. I would have referees who would vouch for me no problem, and I hope the 4 years shows I'm at least capable of being reliable. But still... I'm worried about what's best. If anyone has been in a similar situation, or has some thoughts, I would be open to hearing it.

Thanks.

TLDR: Had mental health issues which caused me to quit from a new job, wondering how to explain to potential employers.

Mate no ones gonna care for 6 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Without going into details, it was pretty bad for me, and my mental health took a big hit. I ended up quitting the job two weeks in - to save my life (that might sound dramatic but its true).not good.

what was your job? must have been stressful for you to quit after just 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

You'd be surprised how busy and under resourced some hr departments are. Since the recession ended, my experience has been that they forward on relevant CVs to the hiring manager, have a discussion about which ones to pick when they get a free spot then call for interview. Unless there's a glaringly obvious gap I doubt there'd be much of a problem.

More important question - salary expectation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

6 weeks. That’s cute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Be honest with yourself before you even start thinking about whether or not to be dishonest with any potential employers. How do you imagine you’ll manage your GAD when you’re having to hide the fact from potential employers, and would you actually want to work for an employer who didn’t care about their employees mental health and well being?

I would suggest being honest with yourself first, and then being honest with any potential employers. If you aren’t successful in being employed for a role, it’s for the best, because if you’re dishonest with any potential employers, it sets a bad precedent for yourself, and you’re back to the two weeks employment before everything goes tits up again. It’ll be a vicious cycle where you imagine you’re well enough to take up employment again, then have to leave again soon after- and that’s not doing yourself any favours.

At least if you’re honest with any potential employers, you’re taking a risk of course, but there’s also the possibility they will appreciate your honesty and will be very supportive. Employers at the end of the day are people too and they have their own stresses and strains that they may well be more understanding than you give them credit for.

• Advertisement

Be honest with yourself before you even start thinking about whether or not to be dishonest with any potential employers. How do you imagine you’ll manage your GAD when you’re having to hide the fact from potential employers, and would you actually want to work for an employer who didn’t care about their employees mental health and well being?

I would suggest being honest with yourself first, and then being honest with any potential employers. If you aren’t successful in being employed for a role, it’s for the best, because if you’re dishonest with any potential employers, it sets a bad precedent for yourself, and you’re back to the two weeks employment before everything goes tits up again. It’ll be a vicious cycle where you imagine you’re well enough to take up employment again, then have to leave again soon after- and that’s not doing yourself any favours.

At least if you’re honest with any potential employers, you’re taking a riskwocourse, but there’s also the possibility they will appreciate your honesty and will be very supportive. Employers at the end of the day are people too and they have their own stresses and strains that they may well be more understanding than you give them credit for.

ime employers always put their own interests first. It would be different if OP was already working somewhere then ER should be understanding and supportive and appreciate honesty but at interview stage? Not sure about that. Why do some think it's necessary to divulge private medical issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

ime employers always put their own interests first. It would be different if OP was already working somewhere then ER should be understanding and supportive and appreciate honesty but at interview stage? Not sure about that. Why do some think it's necessary to divulge private medical issues?

I’m not sure about it either, but I would never discount the possibility either. Otherwise it’s a case of who’s judging who? If the interview candidate goes in with negative thoughts about their interviewer, that’s going to reflect in their attitude towards the interviewer, who at the end of the day are people too.

My experience too would be pretty much the same as yours, but my current employer are so invested in their employees health and welfare that for me at least it’s appreciated in some circumstances, a tad overbearing in others. They’re so supportive when it comes to mental health that it’s almost like it has the opposite effect :pac:

It’s necessary to be honest with any potential employers so that they’re aware at least and can support a person where and when they need the extra support. Many employers now have all sorts of initiatives and assistance programmes to provide support for their employees. Of course it depends too upon the industry or profession you’re in as to the quality of support on offer, but that’s something that people should be investigating for themselves before they even consider applying for a role with any employer. It’s not just a case of whether or not an employer wants to hire them, employers don’t tend to waste resources on interviewing candidates they have no interest in hiring, but it’s an opportunity for the candidate to see if they would want to work for the employer.

Might also be worth a read for anyone interested -

Equality and mental health: how the law can help you

I’m not sure about it either, but I would never discount the possibility either. Otherwise it’s a case of who’s judging who? If the interview candidate goes in with negative thoughts about their interviewer, that’s going to reflect in their attitude towards the interviewer, who at the end of the day are people too.

My experience too would be pretty much the same as yours, but my current employer are so invested in their employees health and welfare that for me at least it’s appreciated in some circumstances, a tad overbearing in others. They’re so supportive when it comes to mental health that it’s almost like it has the opposite effect :pac:

It’s necessary to be honest with any potential employers so that they’re aware at least and can support a person where and when they need the extra support. Many employers now have all sorts of initiatives and assistance programmes to provide support for their employees. Of course it depends too upon the industry or profession you’re in as to the quality of support on offer, but that’s something that people should be investigating for themselves before they even consider applying for a role with any employer. It’s not just a case of whether or not an employer wants to hire them, employers don’t tend to waste resources on interviewing candidates they have no interest in hiring, but it’s an opportunity for the candidate to see if they would want to work for the employer.

Might also be worth a read for anyone interested -

Equality and mental health: how the law can help you

In fairness, some employers have all the bells & whistles but many do not & some small employers are not even aware of all the various bits of legislation until there's a problem.
    There is no obligation to disclose/discuss medical information so why do it? Even when employed, it is up to the individual.

If a medical issue/disability impacts on the persons capability to do the job then why would they apply for that job in the first place. Makes no sense to me to go into such personal issues at an interview. Organisations should be looking for a good fit based on qualifications & experience for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

There is an implicit bias as it may cause problems in the employer's mind. If you're way out in front they will probably still give you an offer. If it's neck and neck, it might be the casting vote against. Don't mention it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Let me guess, majority recommend not mentioning mental health issues, are we truly getting to grips with this issue?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Let me guess, majority recommend not mentioning mental health issues, are we truly getting to grips with this issue?

Imo there's a big difference with "getting to grips" with this common health issue and discussing it at an interview. Not saying society doesn't need to deal with certain attitudes.
    If someone had a different medical issue would some folk think that should be discussed too? Say for instance arthritis or diabetes? It's nonsense imo & nobody else's business. .

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    Personally I'd say that I was sick and had to take some time off to recuperate, you don't need to explain the specific illness.

I wouldn't do this, the employer will wonder if this is a chronic issue that they should worry about.

It is a pity that people are still judged based on mental health but if it potentially affects the ability to work, an employer can't ignore it. Even if it doesn't, most employers don't know that and just want to avoid the risk. Understanding the implications of mental issues is perhaps the way forward, for employees to select into suitable jobs and employers to not discriminate.

• Site Banned Posts: 18 soenow what

Strumms wrote: »
    You quit because you had to unexpectedly care for someone... yourself.
    best advice there^ just don't mention who

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Imo there's a big difference with "getting to grips" with this common health issue and discussing it at an interview. Not saying society doesn't need to deal with certain attitudes.
    If someone had a different medical issue would some folk think that should be discussed too? Say for instance arthritis or diabetes? It's nonsense imo & nobody else's business. .

again, are we actually getting to grips with it, if we have to somehow suppress its existence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

again, are we actually getting to grips with it, if we have to somehow suppress its existence?

I totally get your point but as a person with a chronic illness, I also wouldn't tend to let potential employers know. I've been in jobs where they were great but would generally prefer to reveal on own terms or if absolutely necessary. From my perspective, it also reduces my general stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

just say "i was too mentally unwell to work"

• Advertisement

This approach is very common nowadays and does not help anyone. On the surface it looks good but skirts around the problem. Of course we have not gotten to grips with it, I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread agrees with that. But that approach misses the point. There is a difference between the direction society should go and what an individual should do given the current state of society. The current state of society does not facilitate open discussion about mental health at an interview. Therefore, it is not in the OPs best interests to disclose this. By all means they should start a campaign to put the proper mechanisms in place to deal with it competently at the interview stage but until that exists, keep quiet.

This approach is very common nowadays and does not help anyone. On the surface it looks good but skirts around the problem. Of course we have not gotten to grips with it, I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread agrees with that. But that approach misses the point. There is a difference between the direction society should go and what an individual should do given the current state of society. The current state of society does not facilitate open discussion about mental health at an interview. Therefore, it is not in the OPs best interests to disclose this. By all means they should start a campaign to put the proper mechanisms in place to deal with it competently at the interview stage but until that exists, keep quiet.

An interview is not the place to discusses mental health issues it would come across as very self-absorbed and would rais a red flag, that is not the same as a quick I have been having medical treatment for the past 6 weeks.

Be carefull of not developing a persecution complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wouldn't recommend mentioning any health issue.

The OP lasted two weeks in his/her last job due to a chronic health issue. An employer will see high risk of the pattern repeating, no matter what the illness is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

An interview is not the place to discusses mental health issues it would come across as very self-absorbed and would rais a red flag, that is not the same as a quick I have been having medical treatment for the past 6 weeks.

Be carefull of developing a persecution complex.

I think in the long run, it would be far better if we could have open discussions with potential employers. I simply don't think we're there yet. Wouldn't view it as self absorbed.

I wouldn't recommend mentioning any health issue.

The OP lasted two weeks in his/her last job due to a chronic health issue. An employer will see high risk of the pattern repeating, no matter what the illness is

That has not been my familys expierence it might not even be brough up at an interview. Life happned people have babies, have operations on their back or their foot or have treatment for cancer and it has had not effect on their employability.

The OP is talking about 6 weeks they have not been out of work for years which would be diffenent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hi all,

Thanks.

Good to hear that you're on the mend. You come across as a sound bloke and I'm sure any employer would benefit having you on the payroll. Personally I'd leave out the two week stint, get the job, blow them out of the water, and enjoy your life, you deserve it!

batgoat wrote: »
    I think in the long run, it would be far better if we could have open discussions with potential employers. I simply don't think we're there yet. Wouldn't view it as self absorbed.

It is, the person is their to be interviewed for the job and assess their suitability not to talk about their mental health or other health issues in detail. It might not come up and even if it did its a qick they have been having medica treatment.

Despite the fact the other poster have said their employer has been supportive its as if some posters do not want to belive that.

Be carefull of developing a persecution complex.

Agree completely. I suppose I was thinking that it should be clear what sort of mental health issues can affect certain roles (on average) and let employers know this, the same way they know to install a ramp for a wheelchair user. Then if someone has mental health issue x, there is no red flag and it is not swept under the carpet. Going into a deep discussion on it is not appropriate, 100% agree.

Despite the fact the other poster have said their employer has been supportive its as if some posters do not want to belive that.

It's not a matter of belief, it's a matter of whether this particular employer is supportive or not. We don't know. There is a very strong chance they are not supportive. In that case, why take the risk?

Agree completely. I suppose I was thinking that it should be clear what sort of mental health issues can affect certain roles (on average) and let employers know this, the same way they know to install a ramp for a wheelchair user. Then if someone has mental health issue x, there is no red flag and it is not swept under the carpet. Going into a deep discussion on it is not appropriate, 100% agree.

Why would you apply for roles that make your mental health worse? telling an employer that your mental health issues could affect cetin roles is not a good idea at an interview and could come across as very odd.

Its not the same as a wheelchair acesse with is an accesses issue not an issue with preforming the role. I think you know that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement