Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alabama senate has voted to ban abortion after six weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It’s a sad, regressive decision. It shortens the timeframe for abortion to an incredibly short window, which may not be enough for some women to even realize they are pregnant. And there’s no leeway at all for the truly sad cases of pregnancy through rape & incest.

There is no compassion in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

It's backwards they're going. Feel for the women of Alabama and Georgia who are affected by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

LorelaiG wrote: »
    It's backwards they're going. Feel for the women of Alabama and Georgia who are affected by this.

There are none affected

It is un-enforceable and that is not set to change any time soon because even pro-lifers don't wanna open up that can of worms (Poll opinions had pro-life support at 48% while those who supported overturning Roe vs Wade was at a 40 year low at 28%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

dudara wrote: »
    It’s a sad, regressive decision. It shortens the timeframe for abortion to an incredibly short window, which may not be enough for some women to even realize they are pregnant. And there’s no leeway at all for the truly sad cases of pregnancy through rape & incest.

There is no compassion in this.

Also if enforced would simply increase the number of illegal abortions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    6 weeks is barbarically short time frame, many women could be 5 weeks along before they know in the case of crisis pregnancy

Its really to challenge roe vrs wade now that the supreme court has changed.

Republicans can't afford to live in a country with no abortion they have too many of them themselves.

Also its not six weeks. Its when there is a heartbeat until there is no longer a heartbeat. (you usually get a heartbeat around 6 weeks development not when you last had a period etc) Which we know here in Ireland is not a good idea.

Also you can be charged for having a miscarriage in Alabama now. You go running and fall and then have a miscarriage two weeks later the police are going to come knocking on your door. You decide to get cancer treatment when pregnant and lose the baby ..you go prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Its really to challenge roe vrs wade now that the supreme court has changed.

Republicans can't afford to live in a country with no abortion they have too many of them themselves.

Also its not six weeks. Its when there is a heartbeat until there is no longer a heartbeat. (you usually get a heartbeat around 6 weeks) Which we know here in Ireland is not a good idea.

Also you can be charged for having a miscarriage in Alabama now. You go running and fall and then have a miscarriage two weeks later the police are going to come knocking on your door. You decide to get cancer treatment when pregnant and lose the baby ..you go prison.

You travel to the next state and have an abortion, you could go to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Liberal tears >>>> forcing a rape victim to carry their rapist's baby to term then allowing said rapist seek access to said baby once it's born

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

batgoat wrote: »
    Also if unenforced would simply increase the number of illegal abortions.

Exactly. You can't ban abortions, you can only ban safe ones. Women are still going to seek to end pregnancies, just as they have since forever. Only now they will have to risk their lives and their freedom to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Roe vs Wade's on shaky ground though, isn't it? One more supreme court appointment by Trump and there'll be another conservative pro-lifer there for decades.

Roe vs Wade's on shaky ground though, isn't it? One more supreme court appointment by Trump and there'll be another conservative pro-lifer there for decades.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg ....last one standing ...she has to hang on until a DEM makes it into the oval office or the states is screwed.

Roe Vrs Wade being overturned doesn't outlaw abortion. It just gives states power to outlaw it in their jurisdiction. Also overturning roe vrs wade doesn't stop other people being a state outlawing abortion to the supreme court.

It really just brings the battle to the forefront again.

There will always be states in the US that allow abortions. Its just it can be like getting the UK for some people requiring money and fare etc.

Because there is training and abortionists there are more likely to be backstreet abortions too.

Pray for this 86 yr old jewish woman people ...she just needs to make for 2 to six more years...( OF COURSE I HOPE SHE MAKES IT LONGER THAN THAT!)

official-ginsburg.jpg

Otherwise there is nothing standing between the born babies trump and the cages! Never mind the unborn!

• Advertisement

Most opinion polls say the opposite actually most pro lifers don't want to get rid of Roe vs Wade just as much as pro choice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Is that the sound of knuckles being dragged across the ground I hear?

Amazing, in the run-up to the referendum users (such as myself) were permanently banned from posting in the repeal thread if the made even the slightest disparaging remarks about those with pro-choice views and yet here you have a clear insult aimed at the OP and anyone that dares agree with him, thanked by AH mods.

But yet they'll tell you they don't moderate in a biased way. Ha!

KSU wrote: »
    Most opinion polls say the opposite actually most pro lifers don't want to get rid of Roe vs Wade just as much as pro choice

Being pro-choice in a world with abortion is much nicer than being pro-choice in a world without abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,557 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

KSU wrote: »
    Roe vs Wade will never get thrown out by supreme court so it really is a non issue.

Well we will see how it stands up to this challenge. I say challenge as this is being seen as a test of roe vs wade and the conservative judges Trump has put on the Supreme Court. And there does seem to be a willingness from one Supreme Court(the Chief Justice) to not overturn judgements made by a previous Supreme Court but it's not a rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Bravo and well done. A step in the right direction and a step towards a more humane society. Six weeks is more than sifficient time to get an abortion if you want one.

Personally, I have been pro choice for any woman that wants one upto that time (although I still think it's a barbaric practice), but any later (ie, 12 weeks!) in Ireland is a disgrace. But recently I have grown more and more pro-life and against abortion. Certain jurisdictions even allow for a child in utero to be killed if he / she is disabled up ot an including viable stages of pregnancy.

It is a step in the right direction towards a more civilised society. Some people seem to think of an unborn life as something that can be thrown away.

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2019/0516/1049771-alabama-abortion-law/

Fair play for posting that. I See you got a lot of likes for it too, which says it all really. Its a brave move by Alabama though, they had to know that people would come after them and accuse them of not being "Progressive".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Hasn't been repeatedly established that making abortion illegal doesn't reduce the number of abortions, it just turns them into backstreet abortions?

So this move probably won't prevent any abortions but it just might end up killing a few women along the way?

edit: yep:

https://www.guttmacher.org/report/abortion-worldwide-2017
    Abortions occur as frequently in the two most-restrictive categories of countries (banned outright or allowed only to save the woman’s life) as in the least-restrictive category (allowed without restriction as to reason)—37 and 34 per 1,000 women, respectively.

Is that the sound of knuckles being dragged across the ground I hear?

Disgusting comment. People who are anti abortion aren't knuckle draggers in the same way pro abortionists aren't all despicable baby killers. Nuance means nothing to people like you
    Can't find the picture (it's on Twitter) but shockingly enough it's all white guys in their 50s and up, by the looks of it.

Imagine. We should have a committee of just women liberals with repeal jumpers on.

Old white men are ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why so many people here care so much about the women of Alabama I'll never figure out.

Why so many people here care so much about the women of Alabama I'll never figure out.

Empathy is a real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Tfex6zQ.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Amazing, in the run-up to the referendum users (such as myself) were permanently banned from posting in the repeal thread if the made even the slightest disparaging remarks about those with pro-choice views and yet here you have a clear insult aimed at the OP and anyone that dares agree with him, thanked by AH mods.

But yet they'll tell you they don't moderate in a biased way. Ha!

I thought that post was aimed at the people responsible for this change in Alabama.

Oh and in the lead up to the referendum there were pro-choice posters banned from threads too. Did you selectively forget about them in the rush to claim martyrdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Was a time in Ireland when the heartbeat bill laws would have been embraced and seen as a good compromise between the pro-choice and the pro-life but not today when such a limit is seen as barbaric and you're a knuckledragger should you agree with bills off a similar nature.

I can only assume such people have naively bought into the nonsense that a developing human foetus at between 6-12 weeks is nothing but a mere clump of cells as the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

The news from across the pond is very heartening. Alabama, Georgia, Missouri....fantastic stuff. Good, proud states leading the way. People are realising that a human life actually means something.

Feminism has proven itself to be utterly toxic to society. Destroying fathers, the family and even women themselves. It's days are numbered thankfully.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg ....last one standing ...she has to hang on until a DEM makes into the oval office or the states is screwed.

This is just wrong.

- Judge Roberts has spoke out saying now is not the time to overturn Roe vs Wade
    - Kagan and Breyer have both spoke out about overturning rulings without exceptional circumstances (Breyer actually referenced a case following on from Roe vs Wade in this incidence)

As it stands there are only 3 Supreme court Justices that have shown a willingness to overturn (Thomas, Alito and Gorusch)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't really understand the American right's obsession with trying to keep women from having abortions. It's definitely not concern for the children. It's appalling that a group of men can exert this level of control over what women do with their bodies. Utterly disgusting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Elklane wrote: »
    It's in short supply for the unborn unfortunately.

If I have to choose between helping an actual person and helping a potential person I choose the actual person. Like, I'd rescue a person from a burning building and not a tray of frozen embryos.

And as I just posted above - this law will not prevent any abortions - it'll just turn them into illegal abortions, with the increased possibility that the women involved will be injured or die.

But that's probably more of a feature than a bug to the people who wrote this legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

60% of Abortions in Alabama were obtained by African American Women. Interesting stat

Nobody is seeing that the life of the unborn is more important than the life of the mother.

This law will not prevent any abortions.

It just turns them into illegal abortions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,557 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

B0jangles wrote: »
    This law will not prevent any abortions.

It just turns them into illegal abortions.

And this is just the start of what seems inevitable that this will go to the US Supreme Court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Just because people will commit an immoral anyway act does not mean it should be legalised.

If people rob despite it being illegal should we just legalise it?

Congrats on just registering. :rolleyes:

Advertisement