Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The English are no craic"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

[PHP][/PHP]
    cgcsb wrote: »
    I lived in the Midlands for a time for work. Gave a neighbour an elderly neighbour a key to let in the esb man while I was in work one day. Well I'd say just about everything I own was thoroughly rooted through in rooms he had no business being in. Never again.

LOL! I haven't found country people are nosey quite the opposite actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

You never get threads about the Irish on British forums.

Good luck getting a British forum in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You never get threads about the Irish on British forums.

Do they have forums? They rant about how awful we are in the comments section of their rags like the daily hate mail and the telegraph. Most of their rants are ill informed drivel, at least this thread is based on personal anecdote. Good for the goose and all...

Good luck getting a British forum in the first place.

I mean UK sites.

Do they have forums? They rant about how awful we are in the comments section of their rags like the daily hate mail and the telegraph. Most of their rants are ill informed drivel, at least this thread is based on personal anecdote. Good for the goose and all...

Yes.

We are never mentioned.

• Advertisement

I mean UK sites.

I know that's what you meant. I have yet to find a UK equivalent of Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And there is zero ill informed drivel about Britain on boards.ie? Pull the other one.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ah don't go knocking the midlands, without it the West and the East would be beside themselves, Imagine that!

TBH the midlands in most countries gets a bad rap.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And there is zero ill informed drivel about Britain on boards.ie? Pull the other one.

Like I said it's good for the goose. Most people here comment on their experience. Over on the UK ragloids they just say stupid crap like 'Éire supported Hitler in 2 world wars" and "Southern Ireland need our money" and various other semi literate drivel.

• Advertisement

Yes.

We are never mentioned.

What sites have you in mind out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

And far ruder than they think they are. A lot of Irish are way more obnoxious than Americans. Particularly with the swearing and aggressive behavior sometimes. A lot of Irish people never learnt to be civil.

I don't mind the informal style, in fact I think it's a real natural asset of ours when it comes to business and other nations like it, bad manners is another story but some nations view informality as "rude"

Like I said it's good for the goose. Most people here comment on their experience. Over on the UK ragloids they just say stupid crap like 'Éire supported Hitler in 2 world wars" and "Southern Ireland need our money" and various other semi literate drivel.

You have probably blocked so many trolls on boards you dont see all the equivalent gibberish spouted on boards in general if not necessarily this thread.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I don't mind the informal style, in fact I think it's a real natural asset of ours when it comes to business and other nations like it, bad manners is another story but some nations view informality as "rude"

I have found that the English like my informal manner in business. It eases tension and they begin to feel more comfortable. I will sometimes swear in a tense situation (as in i will go out of my way to do it within reason of course)- purely to ease the tension and it works as the client is used to stuffy suits and formal settings. It makes me more 'human' and rapport is instant.

There you go...swearing as a business tactic.

As a former (English) boss said to me: "I've never met anyone so disorganised but clients like you. Clients really like you and your department is making money for the first time ever."

I am also well able to handle the Asians and their BS as they like a more 'relaxed' approach. Quite similar to the Irish but the Irish are infinitely more professional.

I lived in the Midlands for a time for work. Gave an elderly neighbour a key to let in the esb man while I was in work one day. Well I'd say just about everything I own was thoroughly rooted through in rooms he had no business being in. Never again.
    I don't know why I love the term 'rooting' so much, but it's so visual. I genuinely Lol'd at that.

It's also very relatable. I remember sending a visitor into the sitting room once, old chap, very respectable, while I went out to the yard to call Dad in. I couldn't have been gone more than two minutes, and when I came back inside he was pawing through the sideboard drawers like a dog after a bone. I have no idea what he was looking for -- I don't think he knew himself. Its just an instinct.

I didn't even give out to him. I 'got' it.

We rural types can be nice in some ways, but I'll be the first to admit my own noseyness has at times shocked me. Don't leave me alone with anything private.

I have found that the English like my informal manner in business. It eases tension and they begin to feel more comfortable. I will sometimes swear in a tense situation (as in i will go out of my way to do it within reason of course)- purely to ease the tension and it works as the client is used to stuffy suits and formal settings. It makes me more 'human' and rapport is instant.

I dont think your approach would work though if you used swear words as punctuation... there is informal and there is disrespectful. You have the cop on to know which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

[PHP][/PHP]

LOL! I haven't found country people are nosey quite the opposite actually.

Rural folk are really interested in blow ins for a few months but that is just them busying themselves compiling the facts on you, once that important job is complete, you become invisible to them

I think the UK branches of the company I work for get annoyed when they send me emails that start: "Dear Mr. X," and I reply with "Hi Michelle".
    They get off on that sir/maddam sh1te, like you're the same slag you always were Michelle, cut the ****. We always joke in the office about starting emails with 'hi' throw in a few smiley faces for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭pgj2015

As a former (English) boss said to me: "I've never met anyone so disorganised but clients like you. Clients really like you and your department is making money for the first time ever."

I am also well able to handle the Asians and their BS as they like a more 'relaxed' approach. Quite similar to the Irish but the Irish are infinitely more professional.

id say your boss liked how modest you are.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I think the English can be quite condescending towards us Irish, particularly in London. Maybe it’s a “former colony” type of arrogance. I’m not sure what their history syllabus is like but I’d highly doubt they are the bad guys in it.

They tend to make fun of how we speak, constantly repeating “grand” or saying “tree” for how we say “three” thinking it’s hilarious.

I know a girl working for a big financial institution over there and gave her the nickname “Potato”. Now this isn’t some dumpy stout girl, she’d be a very attractive, slim lady so it’s not to do with her appearance. That could be misconstrued as a reference to the famine, which she thought it was, but I’m not sure they have too much knowledge of that.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

I don't know why I love the term 'rooting' so much, but it's so visual. I genuinely Lol'd at that.

It's also very relatable. I remember sending a visitor into the sitting room once, old chap, very respectable, while I went out to the yard to call Dad in. I couldn't have been gone more than two minutes, and when I came back inside he was pawing through the sideboard drawers like a dog after a bone. I have no idea what he was looking for -- I don't think he knew himself. Its just an instinct.

I didn't even give out to him. I 'got' it.

We rural types can be nice in some ways, but I'll be the first to admit my own noseyness has at times shocked me. Don't leave me alone with anything private.

As a native Dubliner and this being a culture shock, I was living alone you see, I was full on checking for cameras and have expecting him to have taken articles of my clothing for some demonic purpose and fully expected to end up dead in a septic tank somewhere. But false alarm he was just a harmless and my home invasion was a mere act of boredom

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I dont think your approach would work though if you used swear words as punctuation... there is informal and there is disrespectful. You have the cop on to know which is which.

Yes I do of course. All within reason and certainly not gratuitous. Exception rather than a rule.

When a client is getting frustrated with an overall situation and rather than spouting some bland corporate speak an odd gentle swear helps to express the frustration also. In other words it says 'I am on your side and I am just as frustrated as you.' Sometimes you will find they start swearing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And far ruder than they think they are. A lot of Irish are way more obnoxious than Americans. Particularly with the swearing and aggressive behavior sometimes. A lot of Irish people never learnt to be civil.

There’s a lot of Irish I’d describe as having “no manners” and it cuts across all classes and age groups. Years ago I worked for a summer in an Agri diy supplies and the ignorance was just incredible- older Irish men in particular are the most miserable, ungrateful mean people you could find. And never wanted to pay for anything- the most polite customers- a group of Irish travelers that came in for horse stuff!!
    I don’t know what it’s like now, but past generations really missed out on basic manners and etiquette. Reckon a lot of these people most have been favored by the church/teachers and escaped all manners lessons.
    Generally find continental Europeans and Americans so polite in comparison to many of us

I'd say you'll have to smoke a cigar after that post, having given yourself such a thorough seeing to. Your own trumpet is well and truly blown.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    id say your boss liked how modest you are.:rolleyes:

She is not my boss anymore. I was head hunted a few years back and now I am the boss. I know what I am good at and I know what I am not so good at- that my friend it a great ability.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Even though it has a lot of scum, Limerick people are very warm, unpretentious and friendly, Galway city is the smuggest place in Ireland outside D4 and D6, Galway County is incredibly clannish, Galway isn't friendly overall, mayo is a very friendly place.

Limerick is so friendly- there’s a real sense of decency and warmth about people there- really chilled. Cork the same but a bit sharper. People in Munster generally very friendly as is the west. We are a bit harder in Leinster I think.

Dubs tend to be very protective and uncompromising- worked with a few from time to time and so long as they are ok then that’s all that mattered.

I'd say you'll have to smoke a cigar after that post, having given yourself such a thorough seeing to. Your own trumpet is well and truly blown.

TBH you have to be a bit of an arrogant **** to move to England and run a business full of English people where they probably all hate my Paddy guts.

Nobody cracks Irish jokes in my presence that's for sure.:D

I think the English can be quite condescending towards us Irish, particularly in London. Maybe it’s a “former colony” type of arrogance. I’m not sure what their history syllabus is like but I’d highly doubt they are the bad guys in it.

They tend to make fun of how we speak, constantly repeating “grand” or saying “tree” for how we say “three” thinking it’s hilarious.

I know a girl working for a big financial institution over there and gave her the nickname “Potato”. Now this isn’t some dumpy stout girl, she’d be a very attractive, slim lady so it’s not to do with her appearance. That could be misconstrued as a reference to the famine, which she thought it was, but I’m not sure they have too much knowledge of that.

That's bullying. They'd be sacked if she were Indian.

I don't think the arrogance is a former colony thing, they view themselves as superior to everyone regardless of where else in the world they are from. Same attitude is prevalent in France. The French and English like to talk about how different they are to eachother but really they are a hop skip and jump. The superiority complex permeates all levels of society. I'll give you an example, the plastic bag tax. They agonised over this policy for years, report after report, never once acknowledging their neighbours had this system for years and it worked well. They just like everything they do is for the first time in the world, same with Boris Bikes and all that.

The opposite is the case in Ireland whenever a new project or policy is discussed the first port of call is how our neighbours tackle the same issue.

road_high wrote: »
    There’s a lot of Irish I’d describe as having “no manners” and it cuts across all classes and age groups. Years ago I worked for a summer in an Agri diy supplies and the ignorance was just incredible- older Irish men in particular are the most miserable, ungrateful mean people you could find. And never wanted to pay for anything- the most polite customers- a group of Irish travelers that came in for horse stuff!!
    I don’t know what it’s like now, but past generations really missed out on basic manners and etiquette. Reckon a lot of these people most have been favored by the church/teachers and escaped all manners lessons.
    Generally find continental Europeans and Americans so polite in comparison to many of us
    I think that's grumpy old man syndrome and is international.

• Advertisement

She should not put up with that- the Irish can be too tame when it comes to that nonsense. No Asian would put up with that but yet your buddy does which is why they keep it up.

Anytime someone has hinted at that **** in my presence has got it back with both barrels and with interest and never heard from again.

The English like that have big mouths but you bite back they turn into little puppies and run off.

Advertisement